There are 163 users in the forums

Would Eddie let the 49ers move to Santa Clara?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
Does anyone know when are they gonna come out with the new Santa Clara 49ers hats and other stuff ?

you keep trying to be funny and it's embarrassing
I don't even think Eddie lives in the city or even this state. I read somewhere over half of 49er season ticket holders live in San Mateo County like myself. City real estate is just too valuable now a days, I'm not sure what they plan to do with the hunters point site but we could use the housing around here. 9ers want to be down there for the same reason the A's want to get there and that's opportunity. It's the only part of the. Bay that can still grow. You get a whole new fan base in the South Bay while retaining your city based roots. It's just a good business move as far as revenue growth is concerned.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by lucky_49:
Does anyone know when are they gonna come out with the new Santa Clara 49ers hats and other stuff ?

whats you deal

whats you deal

what you deal?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

whats you deal

what you deal?

i was axing a question and you talking bout being funny or something.

whats you deal

what you deal?

sounds hot
Originally posted by T-9ers:
I don't even think Eddie lives in the city or even this state. I read somewhere over half of 49er season ticket holders live in San Mateo County like myself. City real estate is just too valuable now a days, I'm not sure what they plan to do with the hunters point site but we could use the housing around here. 9ers want to be down there for the same reason the A's want to get there and that's opportunity. It's the only part of the. Bay that can still grow. You get a whole new fan base in the South Bay while retaining your city based roots. It's just a good business move as far as revenue growth is concerned.

sorry bro, Southbay area has the largest amount of STH..and will not create a large amount of new comers

whats you deal

what you deal?

yup, keep trying, don't give in. eventually the joke will work....
Hell, wasn't one of the prevailing theories about this disaster

is that by changing the logo, it would make it easier for Eddie to move the 49ers (this was proposed in 91) if they couldn't get a new stadium deal.

There's no way in hell Debartolo would have kept the 49ers in SF if he couldn't get a stadium built there. If he didn't get into his legal issues, we're either playing somewhere else in the Bay Area a lot sooner then we currently are, or not in the Bay Area at all.
[ Edited by linkboy on Feb 18, 2014 at 7:33 PM ]
Originally posted by T-9ers:

He doesn't, he lives in Tampa and has a box for Bucs games....but you get a lot of the provincial SF snobs who seem to think Debartolo worships their fair little city. And he might have a soft spot in his heart for Frisco, but gotta believe that's due to more of what he and the team accomplished, and the mutual adoration society between him and the fans. But the city itself?...the crazy politics, the city his team gave a huge shot in the arm in '81 with SF still reeling from all kinds of negativity (economy, Moscone/Milk, Jonestown, "new" disease called AIDS), the city to which he helped bring 5 Lombardis, yet he couldn't get a new stadium...bet that doesn't sit too well with a proud, fiery guy like Eddie D.

Eddie D would have gotten impatient with Gavin Newsome and Ed Lee just like his nephew did. He would get the new stadium built wherever it was more welcome and quicker to complete.
http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Eddie-DeBartolo-Talks-Levis%C2%AE-Stadium-Candlestick/899e5ab2-d0a9-46e4-9d9c-4bc56bcee2f9

The whining by San Franciscans because the 49ers are building a stadium in Santa Clara is pathetic. The DeBartolos and Yorks tried to build a new stadium at Candlestick Point but circumstances and politics prevented that. They had no choice but to move south.The plan that should have worked was the 1997 scheme for Candlestick Point promoted by then-club president Carmen Policy and owner Eddie DeBartolo; Carmen did the thinking and Eddie did the drinking when they went through North Beach promoting the bond issue for San Francisco that won by a very narrow victory. The bond issue was vital because the NFL's program to give money to teams building stadiums requires that it be a public-private operation, which the Santa Clara stadium is.The 1997 plan involved much more than a stadium, incorporating huge movie theaters and retail shopping from bargain outlets to the Neiman-Marcus level. If it had been built, it would have been a real achievement, one that would have prompted stories and envy across the country. Naturally, my sportswriting colleagues opposed it because they didn't understand it.This operation fell apart when Policy got an offer to run the Cleveland Browns, with the sweetener being a substantial amount of stock — which is why Carmen now has a winery in the Napa Valley and lives in the condominium tower next to the Bay Bridge as you enter San Francisco.At about the same time, Eddie was kicked out of the NFL for his connection to a Louisiana gambling scandal. John York took over as club president.York would not go forward on any deal with the name of the brother-in-law he hates on it, but he undertook studies of the best place on the point to put a new stadium, without the entertainment and shopping facets of the previous plan. He was told that the best spot to put a new stadium was exactly where the old one is, but when York tried to talk to then-San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom about it, Newsom wouldn't take his calls. Newsom has a great interest in sports, as I learned when we had a one-on-one conversation shortly after his inauguration, but he knew he couldn't make any kind of financial commitment, which York undoubtedly would have sought.So, the 49ers turned their attention to Santa Clara, where they already had their practice facility. The proposed stadium is in what has been the parking lot across the street.There was another proposed site, at Hunters Point, but that was always problematical. Access roads would have to be built — the site is further than Candlestick Park from the freeway — and neither the 49ers nor San Francisco wanted to pay for them. A development for the entire Hunters Point-Bayview area, for which Policy has been fronting, included a spot for a stadium, but only because the developer wanted Candlestick Park torn down because that is a good area for retail. Now, it will be gone anyway.The 49ers haven't been a San Francisco team for a very long time, with so many longtime fans moving down the Peninsula. Building in Santa Clara is just facing reality. Quit whining, San Franciscans.

/thread
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Feb 19, 2014 at 11:00 AM ]
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Eddie-DeBartolo-Talks-Levis%C2%AE-Stadium-Candlestick/899e5ab2-d0a9-46e4-9d9c-4bc56bcee2f9

The whining by San Franciscans because the 49ers are building a stadium in Santa Clara is pathetic. The DeBartolos and Yorks tried to build a new stadium at Candlestick Point but circumstances and politics prevented that. They had no choice but to move south.The plan that should have worked was the 1997 scheme for Candlestick Point promoted by then-club president Carmen Policy and owner Eddie DeBartolo; Carmen did the thinking and Eddie did the drinking when they went through North Beach promoting the bond issue for San Francisco that won by a very narrow victory. The bond issue was vital because the NFL's program to give money to teams building stadiums requires that it be a public-private operation, which the Santa Clara stadium is.The 1997 plan involved much more than a stadium, incorporating huge movie theaters and retail shopping from bargain outlets to the Neiman-Marcus level. If it had been built, it would have been a real achievement, one that would have prompted stories and envy across the country. Naturally, my sportswriting colleagues opposed it because they didn't understand it.This operation fell apart when Policy got an offer to run the Cleveland Browns, with the sweetener being a substantial amount of stock — which is why Carmen now has a winery in the Napa Valley and lives in the condominium tower next to the Bay Bridge as you enter San Francisco.At about the same time, Eddie was kicked out of the NFL for his connection to a Louisiana gambling scandal. John York took over as club president.York would not go forward on any deal with the name of the brother-in-law he hates on it, but he undertook studies of the best place on the point to put a new stadium, without the entertainment and shopping facets of the previous plan. He was told that the best spot to put a new stadium was exactly where the old one is, but when York tried to talk to then-San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom about it, Newsom wouldn't take his calls. Newsom has a great interest in sports, as I learned when we had a one-on-one conversation shortly after his inauguration, but he knew he couldn't make any kind of financial commitment, which York undoubtedly would have sought.So, the 49ers turned their attention to Santa Clara, where they already had their practice facility. The proposed stadium is in what has been the parking lot across the street.There was another proposed site, at Hunters Point, but that was always problematical. Access roads would have to be built — the site is further than Candlestick Park from the freeway — and neither the 49ers nor San Francisco wanted to pay for them. A development for the entire Hunters Point-Bayview area, for which Policy has been fronting, included a spot for a stadium, but only because the developer wanted Candlestick Park torn down because that is a good area for retail. Now, it will be gone anyway.The 49ers haven't been a San Francisco team for a very long time, with so many longtime fans moving down the Peninsula. Building in Santa Clara is just facing reality. Quit whining, San Franciscans.

/thread

The DeBartolos and Yorks tried to build a new stadium at Candlestick Point but circumstances and politics prevented that.

That's not true Eddie tried the Yorks didn't they hate the Candlestick location.
Well... if the city of S.F. really wanted to keep us they would've kept and on the business side I believe Eddie wouldve moved.
Originally posted by Raul98:
The DeBartolos and Yorks tried to build a new stadium at Candlestick Point but circumstances and politics prevented that.

That's not true Eddie tried the Yorks didn't they hate the Candlestick location.

You know this how?
Share 49ersWebzone