LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 448 users in the forums

Would Eddie let the 49ers move to Santa Clara?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Ballistic:
I'm shocked this hasnt been locked yet tbh

Why should it be locked?

Because it makes me want to cry!
lol
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Eddie wanted a new stadium for his team so badly, he would have moved the team to Las Vegas if he could and still keep the team as San Francisco 49ers. He wanted fans, local or otherwise, to come see the team, spend money shopping at the new stadium. The Niners is an attraction for commerce-- money. Eddie would've given each city counsel a yacht through a third party company as gift to expedite the vote.

Eddie would have said f**k San Francisco...I'm doing what's best for my team for the money. Or for public relation sake, 'this is a team with amazing history, they will always be the San Francisco 49ers' --at the presser in Candle Stick before moving to Las Vegas.

Moving the team to Vegas would be a dream come true for me! Since I'm a native in Vegas! But I'm a diehard SF 49er fan :)
Originally posted by English:
I'm shocked this hasnt been locked yet tbh

Why should it be locked?

Because it makes me want to cry!
lol

I see what you did there. Well played!
Originally posted by sacniner:
Wasn't there a vote passed to allow Eddie to redo Candlestick and develope that s**tty area? I assumed that feel through becasue Eddie got caught up....

the new stadium was to be built before 1994 and host SB 29 when the 9ers won that SB. It could have been the First team to Host and play a SB at home.

Eddie gave up power in 99
Originally posted by Raul98:
I wanted to bring up a topic for discussion I'm sure some might agree or disagree with me but we are in the boring off season so i thought i would bring it up for discussing cause this is bugging me.

If Eddie D. never lost control of the team and was owner from 1977 until today are the 49ers still in San Francisco or in Santa Clara?

I truly believe Eddie never lets the Niners leave San Francisco he knew what the team means to the city and the fans he would not move the team to Silicon Valley. He was a owner who had a real passion for this team he treated the 49ers like family not business.

The Yorks run it like a business and i truly believe the Santa Clara move was cause they were in a rush to place a bid for SuperBowl 50 they needed a location and stadium design to present to the NFL. Everything about this move felt rushed.

So my question is if the Yorks never took over the team would Eddie allow a move of his team somewhere else? i answer no he does not he invested so much in this city he would never allow it to move.

Eddie was putting a lot of pressure on San Francisco to get a new stadium before he was forced out as owner. In that process, he let it drop on more than one occasion that San Francisco's failure to build a suitable new stadium for the Niners could result in their departure. In fact, the brief and cheesy "49ers" helmet logo that never actually saw the light of day carried an implicit threat that the 49ers weren't tied to San Francisco as the traditional "SF" logo suggests.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
the new stadium was to be built before 1994 and host SB 29 when the 9ers won that SB. It could have been the First team to Host and play a SB at home.

Damn, I don't recall it being that old... Do you know why it didn't happen?
Originally posted by sacniner:
Wasn't there a vote passed to allow Eddie to redo Candlestick and develope that s**tty area? I assumed that feel through becasue Eddie got caught up....

He is probably referring to Props D & F that were on the ballot for a special election in June 1997...Willie Brown was the political front-man becaue he desperately wanted a new stadium built while he was in office, pretty sure he was only half-joking when he suggested it be named after him.

Prop D was a $100M bond to fund the stadium/mall in complex in Bayview/Hunter's Point, and F dealt with the land and zoning. Lots of accusations of fraud, tampering, vote machines thrown in the Bay, etc...probably mostly true since, again, it was Willie Brown. Both props barely passed and stadium was supposed to be built by the year 2000.

But then the mall developer backed out, and it sorta died although around 2005 or so the 49ers were trying to still fall back on those ballot measures, although now they said they didn't need public money, but still wanted use of the land and this was the plan that called for the stadium to begin construction in 2010 and be ready for the 2012 season.
Originally posted by Raul98:
I live near Candlestick and as a 49er fan you don't know how hard it's going to be not seeing people in there Niner gear heading to the game it was a feeling a community and unity on sunday and mondays when our niners played at the stick all that will be gone now it's a sucky depressing feeling i don't care if the south bay has a lot of niner fans the team belongs here in the streets of San Francisco not in Silicon Valley. Taking the 49ers away is depressing as giving Santa Clara the Goldent Gate Bridge or Pier 39 or any thing SF is known for that we have grown to love.

Boo-hoo...I had a "sucky depressing feeling" every time I had to drive through that s-hole to get to that dump of a stadium. Thank your civic "leaders" and high-minded intelligentsia types that tried to stonewall the 49ers at nearly every turn. I truly believe that they believed the 49ers would NEVER dare leave their little Utopia By The Bay, that eventually something would get done in SF but until then, enjoy your concrete eyesore. They played chicken with Lil' Jed and lost.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
He is probably referring to Props D & F that were on the ballot for a special election in June 1997...Willie Brown was the political front-man becaue he desperately wanted a new stadium built while he was in office, pretty sure he was only half-joking when he suggested it be named after him.

Prop D was a $100M bond to fund the stadium/mall in complex in Bayview/Hunter's Point, and F dealt with the land and zoning. Lots of accusations of fraud, tampering, vote machines thrown in the Bay, etc...probably mostly true since, again, it was Willie Brown. Both props barely passed and stadium was supposed to be built by the year 2000.

But then the mall developer backed out, and it sorta died although around 2005 or so the 49ers were trying to still fall back on those ballot measures, although now they said they didn't need public money, but still wanted use of the land and this was the plan that called for the stadium to begin construction in 2010 and be ready for the 2012 season.

That's exaclty what I was referring to. Thanks for the info... and now that you mention it, I do recall the controversy surrounding the voting.
Boo-hoo...I had a "sucky depressing feeling" every time I had to drive through that s-hole to get to that dump of a stadium. Thank your civic "leaders" and high-minded intelligentsia types that tried to stonewall the 49ers at nearly every turn. I truly believe that they believed the 49ers would NEVER dare leave their little Utopia By The Bay, that eventually something would get done in SF but until then, enjoy your concrete eyesore. They played chicken with Lil' Jed and lost.

Let's face it. I'm a SF native and long time fan, but most of their fans have always been outside the city. It's a numbers game. There are about 7 million in the greater bay area and only a little less than 800K of them are in the city. And large swaths of the city have gotten just a little too hip for NFL football in the last 10 or so years. Screw em. It's not hard to get to Santa Clara - good public transit within walking distance, freeways coming from four directions and come on people - check out the area - it's filled with parking lots. There will still be tailgating going on.

• mod
  • Veteran

Let's face it. I'm a SF native and long time fan, but most of their fans have always been outside the city. It's a numbers game. There are about 7 million in the greater bay area and only a little less than 800K of them are in the city. And large swaths of the city have gotten just a little too hip for NFL football in the last 10 or so years. Screw em. It's not hard to get to Santa Clara - good public transit within walking distance, freeways coming from four directions and come on people - check out the area - it's filled with parking lots. There will still be tailgating going on.

Its really not that big of a deal, thats what I find so frustrating and at the same time comical... maybe its because a lot of SF residents rely on public transport.

a 45 min drive south is not a big deal lol. A lot of fans make the 2 hour trek from outside the bay to candlestick every week. I think this is kinda nice now that its situated around so many freeways.
Originally posted by mod:
Its really not that big of a deal, thats what I find so frustrating and at the same time comical... maybe its because a lot of SF residents rely on public transport.

a 45 min drive south is not a big deal lol. A lot of fans make the 2 hour trek from outside the bay to candlestick every week. I think this is kinda nice now that its situated around so many freeways.

It's relatively easy to get to from anywhere. 101, 880, coming down from 280 on 85, 237, Montegue Expressway. Then you've got Caltrain, BART down to Fremont, and a half dozen bus services that will be specifically set up for the stadium.

And I still say that because so many of the season tickets are corporate owned, there will be more deals and better deals on places like Stub Hub for single-game tickets. I'm looking forward to seeing some games there and I'm all the way up in the North Bay.
Originally posted by mod:

and that 45 min drive is like going 50 mph
and that 45 min drive is like going 50 mph

Right. It's usually about 35 minutes for me.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Does anyone know when are they gonna come out with the new Santa Clara 49ers hats and other stuff ?
Share 49ersWebzone