LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 321 users in the forums

Is the O-line overrated?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is the O-line overrated?

I'd say we are semi overrated. The biggest problem that I see that they don't play well as a unit. While we are fairly good at run blocking, we have struggled protecting the QB. We do get bailed out a bit because Kaepernick's mobility but if we gave him more time, he'd have time to go thru his reads.

We all know that Iupati was battling injuries all season long. The real culprit IMHO, was Goodwin. He's been horrible the last few years evidenced by many times where he gets blown up at the line of scrimmage and our RB gets stuffed for a loss not to mention our ineptitude on 3rd and short plays.

It's no secret that we'll be targeting a center early as I'm not sure Kilgore or Looney are the answer.
IMO the main problem last year was Goodwin is simply too old already and Lupati played about 60-70% healthy all season on top of missing 5(?) games. Besides that the O-line was very good.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerjok:
IMO the main problem last year was Goodwin is simply too old already and Lupati played about 60-70% healthy all season on top of missing 5(?) games. Besides that the O-line was very good.

I agree with Goodwin. I watched him too many times looking at the QB and the back of a defender. Davis also had is fair share of "whoopsie" plays.

However, part of me wonders if this also has to do with the splits in gaps. Reflecting on the days I played football (HS). I remember having wider gaps helped the power run game because you could easily identify and isolate defenders; however, pass blocking out of it was a chore.

But, at the end of the day, if a defender(s) know where the play is going, blocking becomes far more difficult. Think about it, if you can guess 85 to 90 percent of the plays, how successful will the offense become? and on the plays you guess wrong, what is the probability it will end in a TD or successful play, and what is the probability of it happening twice in a row?

The 49ers are good enough to telegraph and out execute most of the NFL, no one is good enough to do it against a well prepared, talented, and determined defense.
[ Edited by Geeked on Feb 14, 2014 at 6:33 AM ]
I wouldn't say our O-Line is overrated, this year it's obvious there has been struggles, which has been noticed by the fans and sports writers ...our O-Line didn't receive high praise this season as much as last season, so I don't see how we can ask if they are overrated since nobody has been praising them ...the worship of our offensive line kind of peaked when Aikman called them the "envy of the entire league" 2 seasons ago
[ Edited by NeeJ49er on Feb 14, 2014 at 7:20 AM ]
JH is locked in w/Roman and Solari. He is locked in to be a run first team. That will dictate who we get on the OLine.

Totally agree w/many posters that when we play top level, tough teams - our run game slows to a crawl and our pass protection is inconsistent. Granted this is the NFL and there are some outstanding players who can make plays.

IMO, Iupati will play out his contract unless a spectacular offer comes along. The injuries are definitely adding up w/him.

I've thought, like many, that ADavis might be able to move to RG and we get a better pass protecting RT.

Who knows?
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
JH is locked in w/Roman and Solari. He is locked in to be a run first team. That will dictate who we get on the OLine.

Totally agree w/many posters that when we play top level, tough teams - our run game slows to a crawl and our pass protection is inconsistent. Granted this is the NFL and there are some outstanding players who can make plays.

IMO, Iupati will play out his contract unless a spectacular offer comes along. The injuries are definitely adding up w/him.

I've thought, like many, that ADavis might be able to move to RG and we get a better pass protecting RT.

Who knows?

I keep thinking that they could just switch Davis and Boon. I'm starting to think Boon is the 49ers best OL.
Originally posted by Geeked:
I keep thinking that they could just switch Davis and Boon. I'm starting to think Boon is the 49ers best OL.

Boone and Staley are the best without a doubt.
Can be dominant run blockers, average pass protectors at best, wildly inconsistent from game to game.
Originally posted by thl408:
Yeah I see that too. Also, I really think that Iupati's deficiencies in pass blocking can be masked with a better Center. I hope the 49ers significantly upgrade the Center position, whether it's Kilgore or someone that isn't currently on the roster. I don't want Kilgore to be just adequate. The new Center has to be a clear cut upgrade in order to shore up the interior Oline. I realize there isn't going to be much turnover along the Oline, so it's up to the new Center and self improvement from the other 3 guys (Staley a bonafide stud). I hate when Kap gets the snap, looks up and there's immediate pressure in his face. Then analysts say "See...one read QB. So eager to run".

I was watching some of that game the other night and Looney looked good in pass pro, but not in run blocking. I am not sure if he looked good in pass pro because the Rams wanted to stay very disciplined in their rush lanes or what, but Looney was consistently standing up his man, completely neutralizing the pass rusher's momentum. It's hard for me to say more about Looney though. I only watched the first half and he was still "cold" after coming off the bench when Staley got injured. Obviously he didn't get first string reps in practice that week.

threelittlebirds, if you can, give some thoughts on what you thought of Looney since you happen to be watching the Oline.

I agree with what you guys have said about Looney. I felt his pass protection was stronger than his run blocking too. But, I'm not ready to declare anything final about him because he still has the potential to grow since he is only going into his 3rd year. Honestly, I felt Looney is the reason Kilgore went straight to Center this year. The 49ers staff was excited about Snyder and Looney so they did the right thing and went all out center for Kilgore.

I also agree with what has been said about Iupati. Dude is a monster in the run game but his pass blocking is right around average. Goodwin and Iupati are why teams blitz the middle on passing down.. because chances are good that one of them will screw up
Oh God Yes! Davis, Boone, Goodwin, Iupati, Staley are slightly below average pass blockers. They are GREAT run blockers though. I was surprised that Davis got an extension, I had thought the front office would give Boone and Davis a chance to fight for the right side of the line. Iupati is big and strong and performed well run blocking but he gives up too many sacks to smart and fast defensive linemen. Goodwin has come to the end of his career and a replacement is going to happen. Staley has improved each year and I like him best. Boone is okay at RG but I think he is best as a back up tackle. Look forward to seeing Looney because so much has been made of him.

come on really...
Embarrassed I didn't think of this before...but...since Roman doesn't disguise whether the play is run or pass...why not platoon? Send in the best pass blockers on pass plays and the best run blockers for runs! Solved! LOL!
Originally posted by pete98146:
Boone and Staley are the best without a doubt.

I thought this became apparent throughout the season as well. Iupati was limited by injuries, but I do think he would benefit from dropping 10-12lbs. The achilles heel in pass protection seemed to be the speedy defensive linemen.
Considering we have 3 first rd picks on the line............ I would say yes we are overrated and not a tremendous pass blocking OL.
Nah I wouldn't say they're overrated. 2012 they were the best overall unit in the league, hands down. 2013 was a bit of a down year for them. Iupati was never healthy, and Goodwin showed signs of age. They need to get back to mauling people in the run game, that's what made them the best unit. They were never the best at pass blocking, and that's fine. Just have to play to our strengths.
Share 49ersWebzone