LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Is the O-line overrated?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is the O-line overrated?

Lattimore will make them gods
We would be more effective running out of passing sets, especially in noisy stadiums like the clink.
We certainly weren't one of the best units in the league like we were last year. But the truth is you can take a look around the league and only find 4-5 teams that don't have just absolute dogsh!t somewhere on their line, if not multiple places, so we're still in an envious position.

Hell, Seattle only has 1.5 competent linemen and they won the Super Bowl. A lot of that is thanks to luck/skill from Wilson, but still.

The problem as I see it is that defenders, even on the D-line, are getting bigger, stronger, and faster while O-linemen are limited in how they can respond except by holding more.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
We would be more effective running out of passing sets, especially in noisy stadiums like the clink.

I remember when Eddie Lacy was supposedly "gashing" our defense in the playoffs. He didn't even average 4 yards a carry and we basically played nickel the entire game. All I could think was, I wonder what Frank Gore would do against a nickel defense, even at age 30.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
in pass protection it is and has been for two plus years in my opinion
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Im pretty sure half of the NFL would love our OL. But we have to complain about everything so ok

yes they would, half the nfl would like our head coach, many would like our quarter back, for unknown reasons a couple teams may even want roman but that does not mean they are immune to critical comments and analysis
Originally posted by cciowa:
Im pretty sure half of the NFL would love our OL. But we have to complain about everything so ok

yes they would, half the nfl would like our head coach, many would like our quarter back, for unknown reasons a couple teams may even want roman but that does not mean they are immune to critical comments and analysis

• Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by cciowa:

Regarding the Roman part of this comment; I think its safe to day that he won't be poached by any NFL teams. Now, if Shaw were to leave Stanford or (more likely) a Non AQ semi competitive FBS team needs a coach, then the 49ers may lose him.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Great question! Definately Overrated! Frank didn't go anywhere against the Seahawks defense. if our line is so great, there should have been some big holes for him to run but he was constantly stuffed. Granted, the Seahawks defense is one of the best but you don't hear too much about them. We always hear commentators talking about our O-line and how great it is. Maybe on paper it's great but in reality, i'd say it's top 10.
  • thl408
They're not as good as the color commentators that work the 49er games say they are, but they are above average. Unfortunately, the entire NFC West has fantastic DLines that consistently beat Olines, even the good ones. I am on a crusade (that leads no where) to improve the Oline, all in the name of giving Kap time to succeed when playing divisional games.

The Interior of the line is the main problem in the run game and pass game. Goodwin, Iupati, and Boone whiff on a lot of blocks in the run game. Boone does a better job in pass protection. Davis struggles vs Seattle b/c he's not great vs speed rushers. That's why he's better vs the Rams and Cards, and not vs Seattle.
Yes, analysts calling Niner games were always quick to say "...one of the best in the league..." but we had our share of problems.

I for one believe they should be able to do everything well; not be the best, but for the love of football gods- we can't even run screens cause they apparently can't screen block...?!?
Depends who you ask - the Niner TV commentators over-rate them.

Many in the Zone under-rate them.

IMO, it's a very good OLine in need of some replacements and in desperate need of quality back-ups.

Goodwin is gone. I think Kilgore will be the guy and not a rookie.

Iupati is in his last season and the injuries are starting to add up.

ADavis is not elite by any means but still very good. I like many have mentioned the possibility of him moving to LG. I really don't know if he could improve the position but it's a thought.

Staley is rock solid. One of the best in the game.

Booone just keeps getting better.

Many people raved about Looney coming in at RG when Boone moved over to fill n for Staley.

IMO, we have a top 5 Oline but must improve to win it all.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
The games that indicate they are over-rated, particularly on pass protection, were the home game against the Panthers where Kap was getting pressured inside 2 seconds and I think something like 5 sacks and the game against Tampa Bay where Kap was having to make incredible plays on the run time and again.

Playing in Seattle is definitely harder, but those two games above were the ones that told me there was a real issue on pass protection.
Well, the thing is that they didn't crown themselves.. their reputation is built solely on what they have done at their best and how often they have flat out dominated the opponents. That 49er record setting day of 621 yards in a single game with Alex Smith at QB did a lot to build them up... 300 yards passing and 300 yards rushing is directly tied to how well the oline played.

Staley, Iupati, Boone, and Davis are all grading out very highly. They aren't run-away best at their position but they are all near the top and that is pretty impressive. The weakest link has been Badwin over the last season... re-watching the game on coaches film is downright annoying because you'll see Badwin standing around doing nothing or doubling a guy who doesn't need to get doubled on nearly every play that the defense got a free rusher up the gut to either sack Kap or force something bad to happen. I'm just an outsider but I'm shocked he kept his job this season with how often he was doing that s**t
Share 49ersWebzone