LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

One starter that could get cut no one´s talking about

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crabman82:
lets cut bowman while we're at it cus wilhoite looked good when he got in there. maybe show brooks the door too cus lemonier showed a few things.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by iLL49er:
lets cut bowman while we're at it cus wilhoite looked good when he got in there. maybe show brooks the door too cus lemonier showed a few things.

bowman=glass
RayMac isn't going anywhere. He's a very good player and has more left in the tank than Justin Smith.

That said, it is probably time to start looking for his replacement. The time will soon come where his production doesn't warrant his salary. Carradine could replace Smith, but we have nobody in the pipeline with the talent to replace RayMac.
  • thl408
This will be a good question for the 15-16 season (RayMac's final year of his contract). That's the year some of the potential extensions to Kap, Aldin, Crabs kick in and tough decisions are going to have to be made. As it stands, I like TJE and Dorsey, but as we saw this season, DL depth is a necessity, not a luxury. Ian Williams, Dorsey, RayMac were all busted up at one point this past season. RayMac needs to avoid those nagging injuries and I'm sure he'll get back to his usual solid play.
He'll be extended and restructured before cut.
But 5 mil isn't a huge deal
They might ask him to do it to keep the nucleus together
Originally posted by Squidp:
I felt he played excellent while not being 100% this year. Its definitely a possibility but with Cowboy almost done I think we need to keep RayMac until we know what Dial and Tank bring to the table.

He played very solid even while injured. I don't see him being cut because he is just a solid player and does his job well while even playing injured. There would be no addition by subtraction here.
He missed three starts over the last three years and he's a huge part of the success of the front seven. We'd be better off extending him a couple years.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
lol. no.
williams, dial and lemonier have zero impact on mcdonalds roster spot. on top of that i dont think TJE proving to be a solid rotational player puts mcdonald in jeopardy.

exactly
Link?

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
mmm... No. Fangio knows how valuable Ray Ray is. He's not going anywhere. Ray and Brooks play on the unglamorous side of the defense. But without those 2 our defense gets gashed in the run game.

Exactly. Besides, McDonald has more years left than Justin Smith. We probably wouldn't consider a move until we had Smith's replacement proven and a likely replacement coming in for McDonald. Mac gets it done.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Ray Mac plays better in a 4-3..we shouldn't get rid of someone without a proven back up

I do not think that Ray McDonald has ever played in a 4-3 in the NFL.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Ray Mac plays better in a 4-3..we shouldn't get rid of someone without a proven back up

I do not think that Ray McDonald has ever played in a 4-3 in the NFL.

Does anyone remember the last time we ran a 4-3?

Not looking to advocate a change to 4-3...just curious.

I'd imagine it was pre-Nolan, maybe Erickson/tail end of Mariucci?
I would not be shocked but makes sense. I wish he was more stout against elite lineman but he's been a solid. He's not as aggressive and tenacious as he used to be when he was younger.
Hell, I would have figured Anthony Davis had a "cut him loose" thread before Ray Mac did......
Share 49ersWebzone