LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

One starter that could get cut no one´s talking about

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Could be Ray Mcdonald. He has been injured the past couple of years, he makes a good chunk of money this next season and with the up and coming play of Tony Jerrod-Eddie, the debut of Tank Carradine and the play of Corey Lemonier not to mention Ian Williams coming back and Quinton Dial maturing as a player he could be a cap casualty that would free us up to sing maybe crabs? Thoughts?
what's his salary? also he was pretty damn good

really depends on his salary but DL/OL tend to be more productive into their 30's than other positions like wr/cb/rb etc so they are a safe investment

do you know his salary details?
williams, dial and lemonier have zero impact on mcdonalds roster spot. on top of that i dont think TJE proving to be a solid rotational player puts mcdonald in jeopardy.
I felt he played excellent while not being 100% this year. Its definitely a possibility but with Cowboy almost done I think we need to keep RayMac until we know what Dial and Tank bring to the table.
mmm... No. Fangio knows how valuable Ray Ray is. He's not going anywhere. Ray and Brooks play on the unglamorous side of the defense. But without those 2 our defense gets gashed in the run game.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 6, 2014 at 10:25 AM ]
agree ray mac's going no where
Originally posted by iLL49er:

really depends on his salary but DL/OL tend to be more productive into their 30's than other positions like wr/cb/rb etc so they are a safe investment

For 2014 is $5,346,985....You are right about them playing good into their 30s and i sure dont want him to get cut by any means its just something i`ve been thinking about
McDonald is not going anywhere. However, his injury issues have been somewhat disconcerting, this is why I wouldn't mind the 49ers drafting someone like Hageman early so they have two guys to develop for the future.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
McDonald is not going anywhere. However, his injury issues have been somewhat disconcerting, this is why I wouldn't mind the 49ers drafting someone like Hageman early so they have two guys to develop for the future.

they should be looking at a eventual replacement because he is heading into year number 8. yeah hes got banged up but he has missed like 5 games in the last 6 years.
There is no way they get rid of him. Since he'll be into the fourth year of I think a six year deal, I could imagine them approaching him about an extension to lessen the cap hit for 2014, though.

Looking for an eventual replacement is very smart.

Hageman sounds like a good fit.

Redshirting Easely wouldn't be a bad move either
Originally posted by 9ermex:
Originally posted by iLL49er:

For 2014 is $5,346,985....You are right about them playing good into their 30s and i sure dont want him to get cut by any means its just something i`ve been thinking about

5.4M is dirty cheap for ray mac...he's staying
Anything is possible but I think you're barking up the wrong tree. RayMac is a force when healthy and people tend to only get cut when it is something serious that the team feels they won't come back from... not when it is freak nagging injuries that just slowed him down. Over the last few years the only guy who has put more pressure on the QB is Aldon Smith.

With that said he isn't irreplaceable. I view him as Dana Stubblefield when he was kicking butt because Chris Doleman and Bryant Young were getting all of the attention. In this case it is Aldon and Justin getting all of the attention and RayMac is cleaning up. I just don't see them cutting him before Justin Smith. Honestly, Justin at 35 has a higher risk of being cut than RayMac does at 30. Nobody keeps the 35 year old over the 30 year old... not if they want to keep being a GM and HC.
lets cut bowman while we're at it cus wilhoite looked good when he got in there. maybe show brooks the door too cus lemonier showed a few things.
Ray Mac plays better in a 4-3..we shouldn't get rid of someone without a proven back up
Share 49ersWebzone