LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

What do the 49ers need to be a better team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What do the 49ers need to be a better team?

Originally posted by goldlame2013:
Would anybody be for the idea Adam Schefter suggested : Pittsburgh's Emmanuel Sanders?

He looked terrible this season, dropped passes, lazy routes, looked overwhelmed at times, most Steelers fans I know don't want him back. There's a reason that the Steelers themselves don't want him back.
Originally posted by goldlame2013:
Would anybody be for the idea Adam Schefter suggested : Pittsburgh's Emmanuel Sanders?

He's got the speed they need on the outside, but there are at least three in the draft who have the same kind of speed and would be a lot cheaper and would be available when the Niners are picking. That's my only problem with a free agent receiver - they cost too much.
A: Have a great 2014 draft
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
A: Have a great 2014 draft

Walters Football has the Niners taking a corner with the first pick, a safety with the second and a receiver with their second second round pick.
  • bret
  • Veteran
About the whole Kaepernick is not smart thing: Of course Kaepernick is smart. He has the grades throughout school followed by becoming a starting quarterback on a quality NFL team! But there are other kinds of smarts.

When Steve Young replaced Joe Montana, i cringed. Joe simply understood the game, naturally, on a more sophisticated level. Young simply didn't have that gift. And we experienced several years of frustration as we tried and tried to break the door down, but couldn't get over the hump. Yet I have more respect for Young than for Montana, because Montana was born with a gift, while Young had to work much harder to achieve something great (even though in the end it was still less than Joe).

To my mind Russell Wilson was the reason the Seahawks went to the Superbowl and not the Niners. Kaepernick is the most physically gifted quarterback in the NFL. But it took another "most physically gifted" player John Elway almost 15 years to master the art of quarterbacking to the degree needed to actually win championships. You don't reach that level by calling out the cornerback who made the championship winning play against you; and you don't get there by defending your mistakes with "I'll throw it to him again", even though you'd made the same mistake last year and still haven't learned!

Colin Kaepernick needs to step his own game up to the next level, by becoming a championship caliber quarterback from the neck up. That means spend your winter studying your reads. Don't just defend throwing almost exclusively to Crabtree "because he gets open" when the rest of us can look at the tape and see that others got open quite a bit and simply weren't found.

Kaepernick's talent almost single-handedly kept us in the Championship game, but his mistakes - mistakes not made by his less glamorous counterpart - in the end cost us the game. Kaepernick reminds me of a young Steve Young, and Wilson of a young Joe Montana, and that is not necessarily a good thing, unless Kaepernick is ready to bury himself in the film room, and worry less about critics and more about raising his level of QB smarts, or we are doomed to be good also-rans for quite a while.
The people who say FIRE Roman are f**king idiots.
Originally posted by bret:
About the whole Kaepernick is not smart thing: Of course Kaepernick is smart. He has the grades throughout school followed by becoming a starting quarterback on a quality NFL team! But there are other kinds of smarts.

When Steve Young replaced Joe Montana, i cringed. Joe simply understood the game, naturally, on a more sophisticated level. Young simply didn't have that gift. And we experienced several years of frustration as we tried and tried to break the door down, but couldn't get over the hump. Yet I have more respect for Young than for Montana, because Montana was born with a gift, while Young had to work much harder to achieve something great (even though in the end it was still less than Joe).

To my mind Russell Wilson was the reason the Seahawks went to the Superbowl and not the Niners. Kaepernick is the most physically gifted quarterback in the NFL. But it took another "most physically gifted" player John Elway almost 15 years to master the art of quarterbacking to the degree needed to actually win championships. You don't reach that level by calling out the cornerback who made the championship winning play against you; and you don't get there by defending your mistakes with "I'll throw it to him again", even though you'd made the same mistake last year and still haven't learned!

Colin Kaepernick needs to step his own game up to the next level, by becoming a championship caliber quarterback from the neck up. That means spend your winter studying your reads. Don't just defend throwing almost exclusively to Crabtree "because he gets open" when the rest of us can look at the tape and see that others got open quite a bit and simply weren't found.

Kaepernick's talent almost single-handedly kept us in the Championship game, but his mistakes - mistakes not made by his less glamorous counterpart - in the end cost us the game. Kaepernick reminds me of a young Steve Young, and Wilson of a young Joe Montana, and that is not necessarily a good thing, unless Kaepernick is ready to bury himself in the film room, and worry less about critics and more about raising his level of QB smarts, or we are doomed to be good also-rans for quite a while.

No way Jose.

Steve Young ran into an unstoppable force called the Dallas Cowboys of the early 90's. Montana would have been broken in half trying to play that team.
We beat them one year, because we brought in a bunch of free agent mercenaries; Deion Sanders being by far the most important.
After that there was the salary cap, something Joe Montana never had to deal with.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
No way Jose.

Steve Young ran into an unstoppable force called the Dallas Cowboys of the early 90's. Montana would have been broken in half trying to play that team.
We beat them one year, because we brought in a bunch of free agent mercenaries; Deion Sanders being by far the most important.
After that there was the salary cap, something Joe Montana never had to deal with.

You're not arguing with the general premise though, right, Montana> Young?

I wouldn't be comparing WIlson and Montana either though. No way.

Not as accurate a thrower, doesn't deliver as many sweet balls, doesn't have the intangibles, and cannot go through progressions like Joe.

Not an insult. I mean, who really could?

We need to start emphasing, if your open, I'll get it to you. That's a quote from Peyton. We need to do that too. I don't think it's just a Kap thing. It's an passing philosophy everyone needs to buy into --- staff, Kap, Harbs everyone. It's not just on Kap. I think everyone owns a piece of this.
Not have 3 turn over's in the second half against the water t#rds......
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by defenderDX:
The people who say FIRE Roman are f**king idiots.

This

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
You're not arguing with the general premise though, right, Montana> Young?

I wouldn't be comparing WIlson and Montana either though. No way.

Not as accurate a thrower, doesn't deliver as many sweet balls, doesn't have the intangibles, and cannot go through progressions like Joe.

Not an insult. I mean, who really could?

We need to start emphasing, if your open, I'll get it to you. That's a quote from Peyton. We need to do that too. I don't think it's just a Kap thing. It's an passing philosophy everyone needs to buy into --- staff, Kap, Harbs everyone. It's not just on Kap. I think everyone owns a piece of this.

Joe was more clutch than Young. One of the most clutch players ever; but Young was darn good. Young would have won three or four Super Bowls, if you consider those factors I mentioned. The Cowboys were a monster, nobody was beating them. Then the salary cap gutted the team for the rest of Young's career. There were many years where Young didn't even have a legit running back to help him out.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Joe was more clutch than Young. One of the most clutch players ever; but Young was darn good. Young would have won three or four Super Bowls, if you consider those factors I mentioned. The Cowboys were a monster, nobody was beating them. Then the salary cap gutted the team for the rest of Young's career. There were many years where Young didn't even have a legit running back to help him out.

True. However, Joe won a super bowl with Lenvil Elliot.
a QB that actually sees the field, unlike Kap
Upgrade at Strong Safety paired with Eric Reid. Upgrade at Center/Guard. Add another receiving weapon to go with VD,Quan & Crab. Add a work horse RB to REPLACE Gore who is toast. Stop with the homerism. Gore is too slow anymore.
fire roman. kap would be a top 3 qb without him
Share 49ersWebzone