LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

What do the 49ers need to be a better team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What do the 49ers need to be a better team?

Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Kaep appears simple minded and vain to me, extreme body art, arguing on social media like a tool, maybe he we should convert him to wide receiver.

Simple minded and maybe we should convert him to wide receiver.

SMH. Your post wins an award but I don't expect you will be proud of it.

I'm trying to make a connection in what I see in each QB's mentality. I'm not trying to bag on Kaep, but if you don't think there's anything to how one conducts themselves off the field compared to when they're on the field, I disagree. I think there is something to it. Another poster gave me sh*t last year when I said I thought Wilson was smarter than Kaep, so I'm not surprised to see Wilson hoisting the Lombardi Trophy before Kaep because I'm not sold Kaep will ever hoist it. This doesn't mean I don't think Kaep isn't one of the most dynamic players we've ever seen, he is. I'm just waiting to see that something else, that intuition a great QB has, that understanding of what a defense is doing and the ability to pick it apart with his brains.

Probably the dumbest post I've read in awhile. And that's saying something.

Thanks. You like the converting Kaep to wide receiver one also?
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
need a guy like mike wallace
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Wait, some say it's the noise that's at fault, you're saying it's the personnel lineup. What is it? Both? I don't buy the fact that we tried to run Gore only with Tukuafu in the lineup. I have the game on DVR, I'll go back and look when I get a chance.

I've never blamed the noise. Who's talking about crowd noise?

Point is, In the last 32 regular season games, I cannot recall san francisco using a split back set. Ever. With Gore and Hunter in at the same time.

Um, just check the past few pages..
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Yeah that's true. That explains why the OLine struggled so much in this game. However, I do think that the running game in general was less effective in the latter part of the season. Now that could be to a combination of factors, including the loss of Bruce Miller.

It explains why EVERY offensive line struggles in Seattle.

Um, Tampa Bay with 178 yds rushing and almost the win..

Cardinals with 120+ and the win.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Um, Tampa Bay with 178 yds rushing and almost the win..

Cardinals with 120+ and the win.

Teams have to run the ball or target Sherman early and often(sounds crazy right?) You have to not let them dictate the game.If you throw at Sherman early they have to adjust.They are simply not used to it and never have to worry about his side.This is exactly what Atlanta did in the playoffs and it forced Seattle to play the whole field not just one side.Or like I said earlier you establish the run and loosen the safety help in the backfield
The 49ers have finished the season as the 2nd best for 3 straight years.(Kyle Williams mistakes multiply in significance with each year we dont win the SB). The 9ers dont need a huge overhaul but a change in offensive philosphy is needed to breath new life in us. Mentally speaking, coming up short 3 straight years has to take a toll. Will our players continue to believe? I think we need to bring in some fresh faces/personalities on offense and defense.

The abundance of draft picks gives us flexibility but if we use them all to draft many will be wasted as the players wont all make the team. I would love to see us package a deal with Chicago(they need defense bad) and get Alshon. Its a dream is all and I dont expect any of it reality but since Kap loves throwing fades at the end of the season that is the guy that would outfight Sherman and others.
"Will our players continue to believe?"

Please. These are professional NFL athletes. These are the most disciplined, hard working, conditioned and mentally tough professional athletes in the world. Did the 1988 team, when it was sitting at 6-5 after three straight seasons of one and done's in the playoffs stop believing? Did the 94 Niners after losing in the NFC Championship game three out of the previous four years stop believing? The Niners need Kaepernick to continue to progress, they need some elite speed on the outside, they need another corner and they need Marcus Lattimore to breath some new life into the running game. I wouldn't worry about their beliefs.
How about, change the offensive philosophy? And slightly change the defensive philosophy?
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 5, 2014 at 12:42 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
How about, change the offensive philosophy? And slightly change the defensive philosophy?

What do you have in mind? If you're thinking expand the passing game, add some split back formations and get more aggressive with rushing the QB, I'm completely on board.
  • thl408

What do you have in mind? If you're thinking expand the passing game, add some split back formations and get more aggressive with rushing the QB, I'm completely on board.

Teams rarely go split back anymore. It was used to get the RBs into their routes quicker by having them line up closer to the edge of the formation, which is why Walsh used it often. Nowadays, teams would just rather place a guy in the slot. Going split also telegraphs which side of the formation a run play would go (FB as lead blocker). I wouldn't count on the 49ers using a split back look. I do see them use offset I-formation though.

Honestly, I'd love them to implement a FT spread offense for CK. When we go pro-style spread with 4 and 5 receiving options and he's in shotgun and is allowed to just scan and pick the best player open, he's golden...PLUS, with that formation and the added attention to the receivers, he'd be a nightmare scrambling as well. It suits his strengths. And like Manning said (paraphrase), the secret to a great offense is 5 receivers running full speed routes b/c they KNOW there is a real chance they'll get the ball. That fits our receivers well also.

On defense, I'd get the more physical CB's in Brock and Culliver and play Seattle-style (which is their strength). Force the refs to throw 1 in 10 flags for "holding" only. If not, at least play more physical press (and I mean IN THEIR FACE) on 3rd downs...make these receivers earn every single yard...no more clean and free releases. And I'd teach my S's that when they play Seattle and Wilson scrambles, GET YOUR ASS AS DEEP AS POSSIBLE AND MARK THE DEEPEST RECEIVER. So sad...also, I'd add some more creative blitzes with our 4 LB's who have the potential to be better than the Dome Patrol...but aren't used that way. Less coverage for Willis/Bowman.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 5, 2014 at 12:55 PM ]
Utilize there weapons on offense to the Max.

Same as On D. more blitzes by Willis and Bowman. (stop blitzing the slowest DB 49ERS GOT)
  • thl408

Honestly, I'd love them to implement a FT spread offense for CK. When we go pro-style spread with 4 and 5 receiving options and he's in shotgun and is allowed to just scan and pick the best player open, he's golden...PLUS, with that formation and the added attention to the receivers, he'd be a nightmare scrambling as well. It suits his strengths. And like Manning said (paraphrase), the secret to a great offense is 5 receivers running full speed routes b/c they KNOW there is a real chance they'll get the ball. That fits our receivers well also.

On defense, I'd get the more physical CB's in Brock and Culliver and play Seattle-style (which is their strength). Force the refs to throw 1 in 10 flags for "holding" only. If not, at least play more physical press (and I mean IN THEIR FACE) on 3rd downs...make these receivers earn every single yard...no more clean and free releases. And I'd teach my S's that when they play Seattle and Wilson scrambles, GET YOUR ASS AS DEEP AS POSSIBLE AND MARK THE DEEPEST RECEIVER. So sad...also, I'd add some more creative blitzes with our 4 LB's who have the potential to be better than the Dome Patrol...but aren't used that way. Less coverage for Willis/Bowman.

I would like that too. Although it may go against JH's philosophy of having a FB on the field on most plays. It's odd to me that with so much emphasis on misdirection and formation disguise that the 49ers use offensively, they rarely, if ever, run the ball out of spread formations. We know they love to go jumbo and play action pass out of it, hoping to surprise the defense, but how about the other way around? Spread the formation with a lone RB in the backfield (passing formation), but run the ball. Is Gore not capable of this?

By removing the FB and putting in QP (3rd WR), Kap gets another legit route runner, but loses the offense loses the power run element. Enter the 12 personnel (1RB, 2TE). As much as I love Miller, if Vance can become a legit receiving threat, I wouldn't mind Miller getting a reduced role. That 12 personnel is a nice balanced look because VD can also line up wide. VD is the player that would make this work.
Originally posted by thl408:

I would like that too. Although it may go against JH's philosophy of having a FB on the field on most plays. It's odd to me that with so much emphasis on misdirection and formation disguise that the 49ers use offensively, they rarely, if ever, run the ball out of spread formations. We know they love to go jumbo and play action pass out of it, hoping to surprise the defense, but how about the other way around? Spread the formation with a lone RB in the backfield (passing formation), but run the ball. Is Gore not capable of this?

By removing the FB and putting in QP (3rd WR), Kap gets another legit route runner, but loses the offense loses the power run element. Enter the 12 personnel (1RB, 2TE). As much as I love Miller, if Vance can become a legit receiving threat, I wouldn't mind Miller getting a reduced role. That 12 personnel is a nice balanced look because VD can also line up wide. VD is the player that would make this work.

You know what...I've noticed that we have a tendency to scrap plays from one year to the next. Remember the fly-sweeps? The wheel route? Seam route of perfection? The toss-back to VD? I remember Gore being not-so-happy about running out of the Q formation (Superbowl) but this year, did we do it much at all? If at all?
Um, just check the past few pages..

Um I did. Saw nothing. What postrs
Share 49ersWebzone