LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 328 users in the forums

What talent have the 49ers really added in the past couple years?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i thought it foolish to play the game of matching seattle tit for tat before this year began,, however now that we KNOW that we are the two best teams out there, we have to turn back time like it was the 90's with us and dallas and prepare to stop them,. if we can stop them, we can stop anyone since they are the best in the nfl right now. it starts in my opinion with getting bigger and better in the secondary and getting a speed guy like harvin in the draft.
Originally posted by cciowa:
i thought it foolish to play the game of matching seattle tit for tat before this year began,, however now that we KNOW that we are the two best teams out there, we have to turn back time like it was the 90's with us and dallas and prepare to stop them,. if we can stop them, we can stop anyone since they are the best in the nfl right now. it starts in my opinion with getting bigger and better in the secondary and getting a speed guy like harvin in the draft.

our secondary matches up with theirs. their wr's don't give us problems.
we have a turnover issue in seattle. that's the only thing other than special teams that has stopped us from getting a w

also we need to block. o line needs to pass protect and run block if we get the run game going in seattle then it's a wrap.

we had a horrible game offensively and still had a chance to win.

we'll reload and we have people that have been learning for a full year. among those tank lattimore and culliver. culliver is huge
reid is huge
brown is a nice size.
no more carlos.

I think the NFC title game proved to the 49ers players that they don't need to go into Seattle expecting to lose 45-10 anymore. That hurdle has been crossed, now getting the coaches to stop trying to run out the clock from the 2nd quarter on is another thing. Like Staley said," We can score when we absolutely have to, why don't we just do it the entire game?" 49ers punch it in after Aldon strips Wilson to start the NFC title game, the 49ers win with a FG instead of an int at the end and this discussion isn't happening. It's not the players as much as the coaching mentality refusing to step on the guys throat when he is down.
Originally posted by biggiep:
Mike Singletary did not have personnel powers and was not in charge of the draft. The two times you have Mike Singletary on record regarding a draft pick there's Patrick Willis, where he admitted he didn't think was anything special at first and Mike Nolan was the main force behind that decision, and there's Taylor Mays, who no one in the front office liked by Singletary begged and begged and begged Baalke to draft because he thought he had character. Tell us dude, when did you become a 49ers fan? 2014? Are you doing Google searches and stuff now to figure out the past you never witnessed? LOL

Please read the article i posted please before posting. Its clear Singletary had some influence on that draft.

>>>Trent Baalke has some player personnel type title, but Singletary clearly called the shots through the draft. And, because the head coach called the shots the group of incoming rookies indicate that Singletary very much intends to get back to a smash-mouth offensive style that failed miserably last season.

That draft produced Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, NaVorro Bowman and Anthony Dixon.

My point is the old management (whether it be Singletary or someone else) put a lot of the current impact players on the Niners roster - you can add Patrick Willis, Vernon Davis and Frank Gore to that list too. It cannot be argued that most of the major contributors on the 49ers roster were drafted or picked up by the old management.

Outside of Kap, Aldon Smith and maybe Reid (if he continues to play at a high level).

I am talking impact players - not just role players.

BTW Talking about personnel decisions - Ahmad Brooks was not drafted by SF but claimed off waivers pre Baalke and Harbaugh. So basically three of the biggest impact players on D came from the old management's personnel decisions (Willis, Bowman and Brooks). You can also add Justin Smith as well who was signed by the old management

Give credit to them where credit is due. They put the pieces in place for the current coaching staff. Is Harbaugh utilizing that talent better yes.

But still the old management put a whole lot more talent on the roster then the current one and on a more consistent basis.
[ Edited by Touchdown49ers2014 on Feb 3, 2014 at 9:55 PM ]

it starts with getting better chemists to counteract theirs.

plus, im calling b******t on them being the best team. f**k em.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Kap
Aldon Smith
Reid
Boldin
Carlos Rogers
Culliver
Hunter
Miller
Dorsey
Ian Williams
Lemonier
Brooks (became a starter)
Ray McDonald (became a starter)
Brock (became a starter)
Brown (became a starter)
Boone (became a starter)
Bowman (became a starter)

Plus:
Lattimore
Carradine

So that's 19 players, that are either starters or major contributors / future contributors to our team, found in the last three years.

Argument done. I concur. Not even Seattle has had a better 3 years
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Touchdown49ers2014:
According to this article Mike Singletary can be credited with drafting Bowman, Davis, Iupati.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/384138-nfl-draft-analysis-singletary-building-49ers-in-his-own-image

That article is a joke--and not in sense of funny.

Baalke was in charge of the draft, not Singletary.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Touchdown49ers2014:
Outside of Kap, Aldon Smith, Reid and Boldin what have they added thats made a big impact in the past few years?

Seems like they wasted a lot of draft picks and signed a lot of players like Moss and Manningham that did nothing.

I mean if you look at the Niners D for example, seems like most of the good core players (Willis, Bowman, Brooks, Whitner) arent they all products of the McCloughan, Mike Nolan and Singletary regime?

So who really should get credit for the Niners defense? McCloughan, Nolan, Singletary or Baalke, Harbaugh and Fangio???

Bowman was drafted in 2010.

Baalke was in charge of the draft in 2010, and in 2011 he was promoted to GM.

Whitner was signed by Baalke.
On or about August 4, 2011, Whitner signed with the San Francisco 49ers.

49ers sign safety Donte Whitner in latest move to retool secondary

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2011/08/04/49ers-sign-safety-donte-whitner-in-latest-move-to-retool-secondary/
[ Edited by buck on Feb 4, 2014 at 2:31 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
This is how good teams operate.

People complain because younger players aren't contributing...but they aren't contributing because its a good team. Right now, how many positions on the field would be upgraded greatly by a draft pick? WR? Maybe? CB?

When there aren't open spots there isn't alot of opportunity.

When the 49ers HAVE looked to upgrade at a particular position, they have mostly been successful.

O-Line? Lets double dip in 1st round for Davis and Iupati (prior to Harbaugh, but it was Baalke doing the drafting). That worked out. Spikes getting old? Lets go get his replacement in round 3....Navorro Bowman. We really need a pass rusher? Lets draft a guy who is #1 all time in sacks per game. QB? We'll wait till round 2 and take a guy who might be the most physically gifted player at that position in the NFL.

While were at it, lets take an excelent change of pace back (Hunter), future starters at corner and center (Culliver and Kilgore), and a starting FB (Miller).

I think we can agree that 2012 wasn't a great year drafting for the 49ers, but people forget they raded a number of picks for picks in 2013. Still, there are decent players in that 2012 draft in LMJ and Joe Looney.

Oh crap. We lost out Pro Bowl Safety. Whatever will we do? Oh...lets just select a guy in the first round who is BETTER than his predecessor and making about a quarter as much. While we're at it, lets take possible replacements for Justin Smith and Frank Gore much later than they would be selected otherwise because they are injured and we don't need them right away anyway. Lets also take on of the most physically gifted TEs in the draft and teach him how to black in his rookie year.

Free Agents? Are you kidding? The 49ers have made stars out of players nobody else wanted in Free Agency. Small contracts, bit play. Some of those guys didn't work out, but they were on minimim contracts anyway.

Whitner. Rogers. Dorsey. Moss. Goodwin. All had an impact with very small salaries.

Sure, you can say they got nothing with Braylon Edwards, Nnamdi, and a few otheres....but they also risked NOTHING to get those guys.

Very well said.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Originally posted by facestabber:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
This is how good teams operate.

People complain because younger players aren't contributing...but they aren't contributing because its a good team. Right now, how many positions on the field would be upgraded greatly by a draft pick? WR? Maybe? CB?

When there aren't open spots there isn't alot of opportunity.

When the 49ers HAVE looked to upgrade at a particular position, they have mostly been successful.

O-Line? Lets double dip in 1st round for Davis and Iupati (prior to Harbaugh, but it was Baalke doing the drafting). That worked out. Spikes getting old? Lets go get his replacement in round 3....Navorro Bowman. We really need a pass rusher? Lets draft a guy who is #1 all time in sacks per game. QB? We'll wait till round 2 and take a guy who might be the most physically gifted player at that position in the NFL.

While were at it, lets take an excelent change of pace back (Hunter), future starters at corner and center (Culliver and Kilgore), and a starting FB (Miller).

I think we can agree that 2012 wasn't a great year drafting for the 49ers, but people forget they raded a number of picks for picks in 2013. Still, there are decent players in that 2012 draft in LMJ and Joe Looney.

Oh crap. We lost out Pro Bowl Safety. Whatever will we do? Oh...lets just select a guy in the first round who is BETTER than his predecessor and making about a quarter as much. While we're at it, lets take possible replacements for Justin Smith and Frank Gore much later than they would be selected otherwise because they are injured and we don't need them right away anyway. Lets also take on of the most physically gifted TEs in the draft and teach him how to black in his rookie year.

Free Agents? Are you kidding? The 49ers have made stars out of players nobody else wanted in Free Agency. Small contracts, bit play. Some of those guys didn't work out, but they were on minimim contracts anyway.

Whitner. Rogers. Dorsey. Moss. Goodwin. All had an impact with very small salaries.

Sure, you can say they got nothing with Braylon Edwards, Nnamdi, and a few otheres....but they also risked NOTHING to get those guys.

Very well said.

The only flaw in the logic(and I'm not saying your wrong you make a good point) is that they get these bit players and work them in on defense.We have a great defensive system with key components and the rest is plug and play(like the Patriots offense) The problem is on the offensive side of the ball.We have these player's and we never take advantage of there strengths(ok besides Vernon Davis).Some examples:

LMJ-Quick,shifty, catches well and dangerous in open space.Where were the screen passes,dump offs and sweeps?

Kendall Hunter-Quick and powerful usually spells Gore to keep Frank fresh but not this year.

Athletic Oline-What happened to all those tricky formations we used the first year that even fooled the refs on run plays?

Randy Moss-Not even close to what he used to be but he still quick and could catch, deep threat not used.

and so on,look at what other players we cut do on other teams
[ Edited by 9er2k on Feb 4, 2014 at 7:23 AM ]

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GreenReaperTT:

they are holding the trophy. ours are collecting dust so you gotta say they are the best till we prove it otherwise
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GreenReaperTT:

they are holding the trophy. ours are collecting dust so you gotta say they are the best till we prove it otherwise

It's true they got the job done.They do suspect things but they are also very solid and have very little flaws.You got to bring your A game with them or you have no chance until someone learns how to decode their secondary.Denver took Lynch out,Had the best playcaller in the game and still got smoked
take a look at seattles last draft, they got next to nothing out of it like we did with the 2012 class. hard for rookies to crack a line up thats fairly complete.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
take a look at seattles last draft, they got next to nothing out of it like we did with the 2012 class. hard for rookies to crack a line up thats fairly complete.

Exactly.We have too many draft picks to actually have everyone make the team.We should have gone harder for Gordon or make a good trade and take a chance.The window is closing...
Originally posted by 9er2k:
Originally posted by crabman82:

Exactly.We have too many draft picks to actually have everyone make the team.We should have gone harder for Gordon or make a good trade and take a chance.The window is closing...

There is no window.
Share 49ersWebzone