There are 163 users in the forums

What talent have the 49ers really added in the past couple years?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by communist:
Usually a drafted player should be evaluated after two years as a starter at the earliest...now, you come along and want to judge the last year's draft and the one before???
as a side note: we found a starting FS last year who replaced Goldson without any quality loss.

Are you even going to try defend the 2012 draft? Please, go on. Do it. I dare you.
how can anyone defend it? we got really lucky. when a team blows a draft as bad as we blew that one,, it usually sets back a franchise a year or two. That can not and must not ever happen agai
i meant to say the 2011 cluster f**k of a draft, there is no sure bet james will be on this team moving forward
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by biggiep:
Originally posted by Touchdown49ers2014:

So who really should get credit for the Niners defense? McCloughan, Nolan, Singletary or Baalke, Harbaugh and Fangio???

The fact that Singletary's name is in your question is 100% confirmation that you did not become a Niners fan until at least 2011. 100%.
sing did nothing at all positive for this team,, nothing, zero, zip.
Originally posted by Touchdown49ers2014:
According to this article Mike Singletary can be credited with drafting Bowman, Davis, Iupati.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/384138-nfl-draft-analysis-singletary-building-49ers-in-his-own-image

Mike Singletary did not have personnel powers and was not in charge of the draft. The two times you have Mike Singletary on record regarding a draft pick there's Patrick Willis, where he admitted he didn't think was anything special at first and Mike Nolan was the main force behind that decision, and there's Taylor Mays, who no one in the front office liked by Singletary begged and begged and begged Baalke to draft because he thought he had character. Tell us dude, when did you become a 49ers fan? 2014? Are you doing Google searches and stuff now to figure out the past you never witnessed? LOL
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We kind of are the Eagles. You realize we went to 3 NFC Championship games already and came away with NOTHING. They went to 4 of them and came away with nothing. Like us they slid through to the Super Bowl once. And get nothing there either. We are the Eagles.

And you are the cuckoo.

Bill Walsh coached the 49ers for 10 years. His record as a head coach was 102–63–1.

He won 3 Super Bowls.

Is anybody willing to say Bill Walsh came away with NOTHING in 7 of the 10 years he coached for the 49ers.
i meant to say the 2011 cluster f**k of a draft, there is no sure bet james will be on this team moving forward

What are you talking about, 2012 is the clusterf**k draft not 2011. James was drafted in 2012.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Usually a drafted player should be evaluated after two years as a starter at the earliest...now, you come along and want to judge the last year's draft and the one before???
as a side note: we found a starting FS last year who replaced Goldson without any quality loss.

Are you even going to try defend the 2012 draft? Please, go on. Do it. I dare you.
how can anyone defend it? we got really lucky. when a team blows a draft as bad as we blew that one,, it usually sets back a franchise a year or two. That can not and must not ever happen agai

Yeah, The 2011 draft was a real fuster cluck.

Look at who those idiots drafted.

1 7 7 Aldon Smith DE Missouri
2 4 36 Colin Kaepernick QB Nevada
3 16 80 Chris Culliver S South Carolina
4 18 115 Kendall Hunter RB Oklahoma State
5 32 163 Daniel Kilgore G Appalachian State

6 17 182 Ronald Johnson WR USC
6 25 190 Colin Jones S TCU
7 8 211 Bruce Miller OLB UCF
7 38 239 Mike Person T Montana State
7 49 250 Curtis Holcomb CB Florida A&M

Originally posted by lamontb:
SD is correct on tthis one. Right now this team is looking like the Eagles.

I don't get why people compare us to the Bills and Eagles because of those losses. Those teams lost and then their window closed and had to rebuild from pretty much scratch. Our coach, QB, and two of our best defensive players (Aldon and Bowman) are only three years into the NFL. Our time in the sun has just began, and the way I see it some of those calls that went against us and some those injuries that happend won't. And we will hold 1-2 Lombardi's before it's all said and done.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I don't get why people compare us to the Bills and Eagles because of those losses. Those teams lost and then their window closed and had to rebuild from pretty much scratch. Our coach, QB, and two of our best defensive players (Aldon and Bowman) are only three years into the NFL. Our time in the sun has just began, and the way I see it some of those calls that went against us and some those injuries that happend won't. And we will hold 1-2 Lombardi's before it's all said and done.

The Eagles didn't rebuild from scratch until recently. After they blew all those title games and that Super Bowl, they kept the same team for the most part but McNabb was never the same after that 2005 leg injury. The Eagles whiffed every year after that (only making it to one more title game, when Garcia was playing) because, like during their prime run, their coaching staff blew all the big games by being too conservative and lacking killer instinct.

The Niners-Eagles analogy works. If this coaching staff (primarily on offense) doesn't wake up, we will have blown our window just like the Eagles did for the same reason - lack of taking chances and lack of killer instinct.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

ok ok, i made a mistake,,, you ever make a mistake before? you know which draft I was talking about, i just got mixed up, sheesh. tough crowd

ok ok, i made a mistake,,, you ever make a mistake before? you know which draft I was talking about, i just got mixed up, sheesh. tough crowd

I'd say a football website where someone is posting incorrect s**t is gonna earn you a tough crowd 100% of the time. lol

I agree we REALLY blew that draft but the following year and the fact that we already had a ton of depth really covers the damage. Couple that with the Alex Smith trade that netted us two really good picks and I'd say we have put ourselves in a position to move on and look forward and not back.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

I'd say a football website where someone is posting incorrect s**t is gonna earn you a tough crowd 100% of the time. lol

Colin Jones really wasn't a miss either.
Is this thread a Seattle envy thread? Granted, we want to win and would love to be in their shoes, but even with all of our faults, we are not that far off. Now can our issues be corrected? That remains to be seen. But not a single new point has been brought up. Questioning the 2012 draft is nothing new. We questioned that draft DURING the 2012 season when we went to the Super Bowl. Questioning the 2013 draft is premature. The guys who played performed well for the most part. And we still have guys who have yet to play that are expected to make a serious impact in 2014. Unlike Seattle, we have most of our core guys locked up and are sure to sign the two most important guys (Colin Kaepernick and Aldon Smith) with it's possible we keep Crabtree as well. While I would've loved for our team to have hoisted the Lombardi trophy last night as I'm sure everyone on this thread would, its crazy to ask what talent have we added the last couple of years.

Now if someone wants to discuss how we haven't use our talent, have at it. But we've discussed that issues to death as well.
Bowman was drafted by Baalke.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
All I know is when it come's to the draft,getting free agents and controlling the cap.......
GOAT=Terry Donahue
Share 49ersWebzone