There are 234 users in the forums

What talent have the 49ers really added in the past couple years?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by pfizz:
How can anyone say teams arent built thru the draft? And how can you really say you need a top 10 pick to make an impact? Look at all the defense starters Seattle drafted in the late rounds:

Kam Chancellor 5th round pick
Richard Serman 5th round pick
Walter Thurmond 4th round pick
KJ Wright 4th round pick
Malcolm Smith 7th round pick
Byron Maxwell 6th round pick

it's all about drafting players with certain skillset and intangibles that can be coached up to fit your system.

Of course teams are built through the draft.

Seattle tho is the exception here, not the rule. Teams don't often do as well as they have late in the draft. If anyone had a clue how good Chancellor or Sherman would be they would not have been selected in the 5th round. Kudos to Seattle for finding and developing that talent. There is a reason they just won a Super Bowl.

BTW, it's not like teh 49ers have been swinging and missing here in the draft. Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Navorro Bowman, Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Bruce Miller, and Eric Reid are all very good starters.

Chris Culliver, Daniel Kilgore, Joe Looney, Tank Carradine, Vance McDonald, Quinton Patton and Marcus Lattimore could BECOME quality starters.

Kendall Hunter has been avaluable backup and LaMicheal James could be as well if he didn't have 2 good RBs ahead of him.

Its not like the 49ers have been striking out.

Brock
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by pfizz:
How can anyone say teams arent built thru the draft? And how can you really say you need a top 10 pick to make an impact? Look at all the defense starters Seattle drafted in the late rounds:

Kam Chancellor 5th round pick
Richard Serman 5th round pick
Walter Thurmond 4th round pick
KJ Wright 4th round pick
Malcolm Smith 7th round pick
Byron Maxwell 6th round pick

it's all about drafting players with certain skillset and intangibles that can be coached up to fit your system.

Of course teams are built through the draft.

Seattle tho is the exception here, not the rule. Teams don't often do as well as they have late in the draft. If anyone had a clue how good Chancellor or Sherman would be they would not have been selected in the 5th round. Kudos to Seattle for finding and developing that talent. There is a reason they just won a Super Bowl.

BTW, it's not like teh 49ers have been swinging and missing here in the draft. Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Navorro Bowman, Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Bruce Miller, and Eric Reid are all very good starters.

Chris Culliver, Daniel Kilgore, Joe Looney, Tank Carradine, Vance McDonald, Quinton Patton and Marcus Lattimore could BECOME quality starters.

Kendall Hunter has been avaluable backup and LaMicheal James could be as well if he didn't have 2 good RBs ahead of him.

Its not like the 49ers have been striking out.

Brock

Brock is a good example. So is Boone but not sure if he was pre-Baalke taking over.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Buchy:
I think sometimes the coaches put too much faith in experience of the likes of Rogers, Snyder, Goodwin or Williams when we would have been better off getting experience for our younger draft guys. Look at Marcus Cooper for KC for example, or how many guys were raided from our practice squad to go onto the rosters of other teams.
Sorry but I have to throw up every time I read something about youngster over experience. Same sh... I have to read on soccer boards. This is not the playstation.

IF you are a title contender, you cannot afford to let start inexperienced youngsters just for their development. you play to win and you usually know what you can expect of a veteran because his up- and downside limits are already known and usually close to each other.
Contrary to that, a rookie could play lights out or crap completely up (Cully at SB).

Experience is so damn underrated whereas the huge variance in a rookie performance is simply not on the radar of a lot of people.

Don't mis-read what I have written.

I'm a fan of experience but how do you get that experience? You need to play. My point was directed at those positions where we have struggled in the past 3 seasons, our secondary was torched last year in the play-offs and gave up some questionable plays this season - the amount of third and 6+ where we gave up a 6 or 7 yard cushion did not impress me.

Our WR core has been pretty sub-standard for 3 seasons beyond the first and 2nd receiver. There are areas where I think if we had drafted correctly we could have had younger players contributing. I am not advocating a wholesale replacement of a position group for rookies.
[ Edited by Buchy on Feb 3, 2014 at 9:37 AM ]
Originally posted by OrlandoNiner:
Originally posted by Touchdown49ers2014:
Outside of Kap, Aldon Smith, Reid and Boldin what have they added thats made a big impact in the past few years?

Seems like they wasted a lot of draft picks and signed a lot of players like Moss and Manningham that did nothing.

I mean if you look at the Niners D for example, seems like most of the good core players (Willis, Bowman, Brooks, Whitner) arent they all products of the McCloughan, Mike Nolan and Singletary regime?

So who really should get credit for the Niners defense? McCloughan, Nolan, Singletary or Baalke, Harbaugh and Fangio???

A good point especially on the free agency front.

I think it just speaks to the lack of killer instinct of this coaching/management staff. Seattle is out there filling in the pieces with both draft picks and taking chances on big free agents, and it got them a championship. Kind of like how they played 100% through the 4th quarter in this game and were putting up big points. Meanwhile we play it cheap, kick field goals all the time, and get conservative the moment we get a lead.

I think we have to admit it - the Seahawks manned up and had the killer instinct, we did not. They now have a ring for it and we're just "good" but not "good enough." We need to step it up unless we want to be the Eagles of this decade. Draft picks and playing it cheap will keep us competitive for a long time, but it won't get us rings. Especially not now that Seattle is one of the youngest teams in the NFL and could be a pending dynasty.

Clearly the Defense won this game.. Just wait until they pay Russell Wilson 18-20 min a season and dont have money to pay the Shermans, Chancellors, Watsons, Avrils, Wrights of the world... Dont worry my friend the team will be picked apart and now that they have a ring its $$$ time
[ Edited by Stevec9932 on Feb 3, 2014 at 9:40 AM ]
The talent is not a huge issue there's plenty off talent here the problem here is mistakes blown coverages turn overs bad coaching decisions no killer instinct giving up huge plays in crucial moments not being able to put games away bad offensive game plan things like that when all those are fixed the talent will show better results.
What makes it so sad is just looking back on how Seattle played on the big stage vs how the niners played on the big stage. Just how Seattle's defense made one of the best in NFL history look like garbage. While the niners defense made one of the most overrated qb's look like one of the all time greats.
12-4, nfc championship or Super Bowl 3 years in a row and somehow we're failing miserably at using or aquiring talent. Let the heartbreak of this season settle in and then try and come back a couple months later with some optimism. Jesus.
toughness and physical play will beat finess in the NFL as we saw from the superbowl. So i hope we draft hard nosed, tough players at whatever position they might be. i want teams scared to play us due to the hits we put on them.
The Niners have considerable talent that has seen the field very little, or not at all yet. I'm talking about:

- Joe Looney (my bet to take over at C)

- Tank Carradine (JS's heir apparent at RDE)

- Marcus Lattimore (all the potential to be a real beast at RB)

- Luke Marquardt (healthy, he should emerge as swing OT)

- Derek Carrier (coaches impressed, might become a hybrid kind of guy like Walker was)

- Quentin Dial (huge, needs to learn to explode to find a niche in DL)

- Corey Lemonier (showed real pass rushing potential)

- Nick Moody (besides ST prowess, coaches are high on his LB potential)

- Ryan Seymour (could replace Snyder as swing interior OL)

- Daryl Morris (made impact on ST's, TBD at CB--love his speed, though)

A number of these guys could become impact players...it's important to note a lot of guys don't blossom 'til they get opportunities to play, especially on a veteran-laden team like ours. It's symptomatic of having a very deep roster...
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
toughness and physical play will beat finess in the NFL as we saw from the superbowl. So i hope we draft hard nosed, tough players at whatever position they might be. i want teams scared to play us due to the hits we put on them.

We already have.

• Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Raul98:
The talent is not a huge issue there's plenty off talent here the problem here is mistakes blown coverages turn overs bad coaching decisions no killer instinct giving up huge plays in crucial moments not being able to put games away bad offensive game plan things like that when all those are fixed the talent will show better results.

Well Adderall is supposed to help concentration..... Maybe we can ask Pete about it.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

We already have.
yes, that is not a issue with this team. the hawks were just a titch better in little areas including coaching at key moments
What about team chemistry? Carroll is a player's coach who has surrounded himself with brilliant tacticians. His players and coaches love him. And have we heard one complaint at all from anyone about playing time?

We can't say the same with Harbaugh and some of his player personnel handlings have been questionable.

wrong. Not in the 21st century NFL. You have to be ALLOWED to play like that. For some reason in 2013 the Seahawks were allowed to do so. I would not bet on it happening again.

The Niners need to embrace their history. I was never a fan of the approach taken on by Nolan, Sing and now Harbaugh. I am happy and a bit surprised it led to us becoming a contender, but not really surprised that it failed to produce the 6th Ring.

We need to go back to the Golden days, model ourselves more like the Packers, which of course is simply a copy of the old style Niners.

Kaep can be Steve Young
The threads original question is mind boggling, what talent have they brought in? Cereal? Bowman, Skuta, Lemonoir, Brock, Spillman, Osgood, Patton, Hunter, TJE, Dorsey, and even Williams before his injury. Then add in some late rounders for players that wouldnt see the field (Parys, Cam), this FO has stacked this roster and still has a bounty of draft picks.
Share 49ersWebzone