CB-Antonio Langham
CB-Mike Rumph
SS-Zack Bronson
FS-Dana Hall

K-Owen Pochman
P-Chad Stanley
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by Niners99:
If you made an All-Pro roster for the 49ers from the beginning of the Walsh era (1979) until the current 2013 team, what would the team look like? Only 1 spot per position, based on impact to the team and/or longevity. (2nd WR spot must be a secondary WR at the time, not just the 2nd best WR1.) Since we played both the 4-3 and the 3-4, pick 2 DT and 2 ILB's.

QB- Joe Montana
RB- Frank Gore
FB- Tom Rathman
WR1- Jerry Rice
WR2- John Taylor
TE- Vernon Davis
LT- Joe Staley
LG- Guy McIntyre
C- Jesse Sapolu
RG- Randy Cross
RT- Harris Barton

LDE- Roy Barker
DT- Bryant Young
DT- Dana Stubblefield
RDE- Justin Smith
LOLB- Charles Haley
MLB- Patrick Willis
MLB- NaVorro Bowman
ROLB- Aldon Smith
LCB- Deion Sanders
RCB- Eric Wright
SS- Tim McDonald
FS- Ronnie Lott

K- Ray Wersching
P- Andy Lee

I noticed weve had a pretty sad group of CB's overall in the last 35 years. Lott counted as a FS, so that didnt leave much. Deion's impact in 1994 alone won him a spot. Weve also done a pretty pathetic job of finding a good 2nd WR after the John Taylor days. Outside the brief window when Rice and Owens were good at the same time, its been pretty rough. Thank goodness for Anquan Boldin.

Id put this team up against anyone elses from the same time span.

Yes, I know, this is very much an offseason thread, but its a fun concept.
The only obvious bad pick was Ray Wersching you can't be serious, he could not make anything over 45 yards with a 20 mph wind behind him on turf. Why he was on the team in the non salary cap era for 10 or so years is beyond me.

We havent had any legit kickers for longer than a couple seasons. Wersching wasnt a HOF or anything, but he was solid for a long time for us. Weve just never had that Jason Hanson type guy.
Roy Barker was a bad pick. Solid enough player but come on. Even if you're thinking in terms of a 4 man d-line and only guys who would play LDE in a 4-3, Fred Dean and Dwaine Board both played in those types of packages and would clearly get the edge over Barker.
QB - Ken Dorsey
HB - Kevan Barlow
FB - Chris Hetherington
WR - Iheanyi Uwaezuoke
WR - Sanjay Beach
TE - Jessica Simpson's husband Eric Johnson
TE - Greg Clark
LT - Dave Fiore
G - Kevin Gogan
C - Nutcracker Eric Heitmann
G - Phil Ostrowski
T - Matt Willig the actor
DE - Kevin f*gan
DT - Junior Bryant
DE - Chike Okeafor
LB - Dan Bunz
LB - Jeff The Seahawk Ulbrich
LB - Craig Puki
CB - Ahmed Plummer
CB - Jason Webster
FS - Craig Dahl
SS - Pierson Prioleau
K - Tony Zendejas
P - Tommy Thompson
^Um, are you freak'n serious? You're putting Kevin F@gan, who was an absolute MONSTER (pound for pound the greatest run stuffer in the history of pro football) on your WORST 49ers team?

Holy f... are you clueless.
Originally posted by 49ersScoutHistorian:
Roy Barker was a bad pick. Solid enough player but come on. Even if you're thinking in terms of a 4 man d-line and only guys who would play LDE in a 4-3, Fred Dean and Dwaine Board both played in those types of packages and would clearly get the edge over Barker.

Some of you guys dont seem to understand the criteria. If were picking a team based on the best players who have ever suited up as Niners, itd just be littered with HOFers at every position. Im talking the best at each literal position, AS Niners.

Fred Dean had one BIG year as a Niner, but most of his HOF career was achieved with SD.

And Dwaine Board played RDE, not Left.

In 3 seasons as a Niner, Roy Barker racked up 30.0 sacks and 10 FF. We havent really had a mainstay player at LDE, so Barker won that spot for me based on big production in a short amount of time.

You lost a TON of credibility by picking Deese over Staley, and then calling Staley "overrated", and saying he gets beat all the time. What is that based on, Mr. scout? Because Pro Football Focus scouts every play of every game, and the results say Staley has been ELITE the last few years.

Deese never even made a pro bowl team. Staley is a 3 time All-Pro.
Yeah, couple things:

-- Eric Wright:
Great choice, unique talent. AllPro caliber for sure when healthy;

-- John Taylor:
Choose over TO? I think so. Clutch receiver, dangerous open field runner. You have to remember he was the best punt returner in the NFL when he played. Perhaps the best of all time, except for White Shoes. Nobody could slow down a field like Taylor.

No Merton, no Hicks, no Brent? It's hard not to find a spot for these guys. Hicks was one of my favorites before he reputedly drugged out.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Yeah, couple things:

-- Eric Wright:
Great choice, unique talent. AllPro caliber for sure when healthy;

-- John Taylor:
Choose over TO? I think so. Clutch receiver, dangerous open field runner. You have to remember he was the best punt returner in the NFL when he played. Perhaps the best of all time, except for White Shoes. Nobody could slow down a field like Taylor.

No Merton, no Hicks, no Brent? It's hard not to find a spot for these guys. Hicks was one of my favorites before he reputedly drugged out.

Hanks and Hicks played FS. Ronnie Lott takes that spot.
^Um, are you freak'n serious? You're putting Kevin F@gan, who was an absolute MONSTER (pound for pound the greatest run stuffer in the history of pro football) on your WORST 49ers team?

There's something I can wholeheartedly agree with you on, Scout (minus the invective). Kevin f*gen was a fantastic D-lineman, IMO one of the all-time best in franchise history. At one point, he was rated as the strongest man in the NFL. He simply could not be moved out of a gap on a running play. Those defenses when he was healthy were almost impossible to run on.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:

There's something I can wholeheartedly agree with you on, Scout (minus the invective). Kevin f*gen was a fantastic D-lineman, IMO one of the all-time best in franchise history. At one point, he was rated as the strongest man in the NFL. He simply could not be moved out of a gap on a running play. Those defenses when he was healthy were almost impossible to run on.
i thought these things were supposed to be fun to banter about

Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
QB - Ken Dorsey
HB - Kevan Barlow
FB - Chris Hetherington
WR - Iheanyi Uwaezuoke
WR - Sanjay Beach
TE - Jessica Simpson's husband Eric Johnson
TE - Greg Clark
LT - Dave Fiore
G - Kevin Gogan
C - Nutcracker Eric Heitmann
G - Phil Ostrowski
T - Matt Willig the actor
DE - Kevin f*gan
DT - Junior Bryant
DE - Chike Okeafor
LB - Dan Bunz
LB - Jeff The Seahawk Ulbrich
LB - Craig Puki
CB - Ahmed Plummer
CB - Jason Webster
FS - Craig Dahl
SS - Pierson Prioleau
K - Tony Zendejas
P - Tommy Thompson

I have no idea how you have researched this, but as a Worst Roster, you haven't done a very good job.

I suggest you research Fiore, Gogan, Heitmann, f*gan, Bryant, and Johnson a little before you include them in such a list.

And several of the others were perfectly serviceable and had no place on such a list.
[ Edited by English on Jan 30, 2014 at 9:03 AM ]
Originally posted by English:
I have no idea how you have researched this, but as a Worst Roster, you haven't done a very good job.

I suggest you research Fiore, Gogan, Heitmann, f*gan, Bryant, and Johnson a little before you include them in such a list.

And several of the others were perfectly serviceable and had no place on such a list.

And, maybe it's time for people to review Dan Bunz' body of work which includes what might possibly be the most perfect tackle in the most perfect situation of any Super Bowl, a tackle that just might have been one of the main reasons why the Niners won their first Super Bowl. Watch that goal line stand again and then get back to me about Dan Bunz.
Originally posted by cciowa:
i thought these things were supposed to be fun to banter about

Me too. That's why I included the (minus the invective).
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
And, maybe it's time for people to review Dan Bunz' body of work which includes what might possibly be the most perfect tackle in the most perfect situation of any Super Bowl, a tackle that just might have been one of the main reasons why the Niners won their first Super Bowl. Watch that goal line stand again and then get back to me about Dan Bunz.

that does not help people who think the niners only came into being during the 1994 season
  • Disp
  • Veteran

Get off your soap box. This isn't an "if you don't agree with everything I say, you're an idiot" forum. Saying Hearst and Young were the undebatable best at their positions is ridiculous. I think 9 of 10 people here would argue with at least one of those if not both.
Share 49ersWebzone