There are 194 users in the forums

Who will play Strong Safety if Whitner leaves via Free Agency?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As I've stated previously that the era of SS is technically OVER. with a passing league the need for down in the box SS is no longer needed. was i spoiled watching some of the GREATS from mid 80's to mid 2000's. With that said I would personally would like to see DH back. we need some continuity between him and ER along with the secondary since TB, CR, EW will not be retained.

but if the 49ers decide that it's time to move on from DH then I would like to see them draft a FS with coverage abilities and pairing the rookie with ER. Just imagining the various possibilities of pain this may cause opposing QB, and Def Coordinator. Im not sure if this may work or not but it's wishful thinking on my part but I would like to see Ed Reynolds from Stanford(yes I'm giving in to picking a local kid).

Welcome to the ER .......
Yo Mama!
We are gong to draft a SS. Might even sign one to a 1 yr deal as well. We could cut Dahl and maybe have enough to sign Whitner back or use the money to sign someone capable of starting. Either way we are drafting a SS early in the draft - 1st 3 rounds.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Odds are he is replaced via the draft. We likely cant afford him unless he really wants to play here and signs a sweetheart of a deal.

Hopefully, he doesn't decide to chase the paper like D. Goldson... I'm sure he knows we're one play-maker / play-call away from the 6th ring.
Bucannon, the rookie from Washington St.... just sayin'. EDIT: Tackling is a technique that can be coached up. If we nab him. he will do fine.

[ Edited by ninertico on Jan 29, 2014 at 12:10 PM ]
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
As I've stated previously that the era of SS is technically OVER. with a passing league the need for down in the box SS is no longer needed.

Disagree with this part of your post. teams are starting to shift back more balanced offences......

Green Bay and New England are the two teams that were leading the charge on spread offense in the NFL, now they've brought in and using big backs and multiple backs. even with Peyton Manning doing what he did, his game played a lot off of what knowshon moreno does.

MORE IMPORTANTLY. the NFCW is a run heavy physical division, and will continue to be. we all know about Lynch, Zac Stacy is emerging in STL, and ellington in zona looks like has some potential.

so we absolutely need a SS than can play in the box.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
As I've stated previously that the era of SS is technically OVER. with a passing league the need for down in the box SS is no longer needed.

Disagree with this part of your post. teams are starting to shift back more balanced offences......

Green Bay and New England are the two teams that were leading the charge on spread offense in the NFL, now they've brought in and using big backs and multiple backs. even with Peyton Manning doing what he did, his game played a lot off of what knowshon moreno does.

MORE IMPORTANTLY. the NFCW is a run heavy physical division, and will continue to be. we all know about Lynch, Zac Stacy is emerging in STL, and ellington in zona looks like has some potential.

I kinda agree and disagree. Seattle gets away with Chanclellor due to Thomas' ability to cover so much ground... it also helps when your CB's can hold like no tomorrow.

If... IF.. the 49ers draft a SS, they are better off getting a guy that can run over a slightly faster, slightly lighter Linebacker. They will need a guy to correct some dumb bites with a bit of speed; otherwise, it will be big gains for the offense.

In the end, the best pass defenders are your pass rushers. Look at Keap's late game pick. If he didn't have that lineman in his face, the 49ers could be the ones playing this week.

The niners have two MLBs who can cover like SSs, so I think it's more important to have a SS who can cover like a FS.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

The niners have two MLBs who can cover like SSs, so I think it's more important to have a SS who can cover like a FS.

my point is whether or not a SS can play the run, is still as important as how well they play the pass, and If you're thinking "this is a passing league so we don't need as much run support from our SS", then you're behind in the game.

plus even with healthy bowman and willis, whiter and reid was still needed to make plays in the run game.
my point is whether or not a SS can play the run, is still as important as how well they play the pass, and If you're thinking "this is a passing league so we don't need as much run support from our SS", then you're behind in the game.

plus even with healthy bowman and willis, whiter and reid was still needed to make plays in the run game.

Don't disagree but hope they can find someone who can cover as well as Reid. Reid could actually slide to SS in my opinion. We get a lot of support from our CBs as well, so it's important for all DBs to be versatile.

Edit: what I don't want to see is a slow, old fashion plugger SS. Just can't have that in this day and age.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 29, 2014 at 5:33 PM ]

Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Don't disagree but hope they can find someone who can cover as well as Reid. Reid could actually slide to SS in my opinion. We get a lot of support from our CBs as well, so it's important for all DBs to be versatile.

Edit: what I don't want to see is a slow, old fashion plugger SS. Just can't have that in this day and age.

yup agree. all points.
Get Michael Lewis back on the team.

Mark Roman
draft a big safety with some speed to put back there with Eric Reid. i think whitner will be back tho, dude is a baller and one of our team leaders
  • buck
  • Veteran
A look at some of the safeties
(numbers from the last two years)

Interceptions

Jimmie Ward—10
Deone Bucannon—10
Dion Bailey—9
Jonathan Dowling—9
Tre Boston—9
Calvin Pryor--5

Passes Defended