LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 311 users in the forums

Who will play Strong Safety if Whitner leaves via Free Agency?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
I dunno about major wright. I live in Chicago and fans here aren't too fond of him since he's been giving up a lot of big plays/bad coverage

Major Wright is a bum...no thank you.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Based on the way Fangio asks his safeties to play the deep halves and be alert against the run...I would not be opposed to taking a physically imposing FS and moving him to SS to compliment Reid. This way you have 2 guys equally adept in coverage and are not afraid to stick their noses in the fray. Ha'Shean Clinton-Dix comes to mind...I don't think he will be taken as high as some on this board seem to believe.

I like Calvin Pryor as well. Both him and Reid could play either safety spot without a problem.
Originally posted by kronik:
I don't want him back at all. I still believe we lost the super bowl to the Ravens due to Whitner and Culliver.

As always, I want the best guys back, whether they are all pros or just good. When the team can replace them with better options as starters and back ups--then fine, let them go. As for Whitner, specifically, I would like to see him replaced but only if the team can add a vet starter and a rookie to work his way into the starting spot. Reid was an anomaly starting as a rookie...necessitated by the departure of Goldson.
If witner leaves i think curly will fill the gap while schooling a rookie but I really don't think whitner is leaving because if it comes down to whitner and boldon I think they go defense and keep whitner imo
Originally posted by Rgonelove:
If witner leaves i think curly will fill the gap while schooling a rookie but I really don't think whitner is leaving because if it comes down to whitner and boldon I think they go defense and keep whitner imo

Who is Curly?
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Who is Curly?

someone who don't like all that sweet stuff
Either Chris Culliver or Nate Clements

#webzonelogic
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I don't want him back at all. I still believe we lost the super bowl to the Ravens due to Whitner and Culliver.

As always, I want the best guys back, whether they are all pros or just good. When the team can replace them with better options as starters and back ups--then fine, let them go. As for Whitner, specifically, I would like to see him replaced but only if the team can add a vet starter and a rookie to work his way into the starting spot. Reid was an anomaly starting as a rookie...necessitated by the departure of Goldson.

I don't agree. How is Reid an anomaly? There are plenty of rookie safeties that play well their first seasons and onward. The seattle safeties (Thomas, Kam), Eric Berry, Vacarro, J Bird, Harrison Smith (before injury), Tyrann Mathieu, etc... Most of the all-time greats start off great as well. Reed and Polamolu were great their 1st seasons. Even someone like Eric Weddle played well his rookie season. These safeties are just off the top of my head. Not sure why you think we can't replace Whitner's play easily. Especially with the ammunition we have for the draft, I don't see it as a big issue. If the safety is good, I think they can be productive in their rookie seasons. I think it's one of the easiest positions for a rookie imo.
[ Edited by kronik on Feb 9, 2014 at 11:01 PM ]

I don't agree. How is Reid an anomaly? There are plenty of rookie safeties that play well their first seasons and onward. The seattle safeties (Thomas, Kam), Eric Berry, Vacarro, J Bird, Harrison Smith (before injury), Tyrann Mathieu, etc... Most of the all-time greats start off great as well. Reed and Polamolu were great their 1st seasons. Even someone like Eric Weddle played well his rookie season. These safeties are just off the top of my head. Not sure why you think we can't replace Whitner's play easily. Especially with the ammunition we have for the draft, I don't see it as a big issue. If the safety is good, I think they can be productive in their rookie seasons. I think it's one of the easiest positions for a rookie imo.

Reid played exceptionally well for a rookie--thus my anomaly comment. Yes, many rookies come in and start but having two rookie safeties come in and start two years in a row would be a very unusually event...not unheard of but unusual. I'm not forgetting the niners with Dwight Hicks and the hot licks! The part that is not easy is that Whitner sets the DBs up and I doubt Reid or a rookie would be ready to take that on...although Reid may surprise in this area as well.
Reid played exceptionally well for a rookie--thus my anomaly comment. Yes, many rookies come in and start but having two rookie safeties come in and start two years in a row would be a very unusually event...not unheard of but unusual. I'm not forgetting the niners with Dwight Hicks and the hot licks! The part that is not easy is that Whitner sets the DBs up and I doubt Reid or a rookie would be ready to take that on...although Reid may surprise in this area as well.

I see your point and it has substance. If Whitner was better in coverage, a better wrap up tackler, a little younger, cheaper and smarter, I'd be for keeping him.

But I kind of see this off-season as an opportunity to solidify the safety position for the next decade. I envision a pair of INTER-CHANGEABLE safeties where both can excel against the pass or the run. This would make it incredibly difficult for opposing QB's to make the correct pre-snap reads. The niners can surprise opposing offenses with all kinds of schemes and surprises. Much like the versatile element in the 3-4 defense. That would take this defense to the next level imo.

Lets face it, we know what we had in Whitner. He's not going to get any better. If you re-watch the playoff games in the last 2 seasons, you will realize we won't be missing much if he's finally gone.
[ Edited by kronik on Feb 9, 2014 at 11:27 PM ]

Kerry Rhodes is still a free agent! Rhodes is a free safety but does anybody know how he plays the run? And Bernard Pollard is going to be a free agent. One of those guys would be a great signing and not cost as much as Whitner.
I see your point and it has substance. If Whitner was better in coverage, a better wrap up tackler, a little younger, cheaper and smarter, I'd be for keeping him.

But I kind of see this off-season as an opportunity to solidify the safety position for the next decade. I envision a pair of INTER-CHANGEABLE safeties where both can excel against the pass or the run. This would make it incredibly difficult for opposing QB's to make the correct pre-snap reads. The niners can surprise opposing offenses with all kinds of schemes and surprises. Much like the versatile element in the 3-4 defense. That would take this defense to the next level imo.

Lets face it, we know what we had in Whitner. He's not going to get any better. If you re-watch the playoff games in the last 2 seasons, you will realize we won't be missing much if he's finally gone.

Agree with you and want to see two safeties capable of covering like CBs...and good against the run. If they can get that in the draft great! I'm not a big fan of Whitner, particularly due to his image with the refs. Seems like they flag him for really silly impacts.

By the way, have you seen the video on SFGate claiming the NFL rigged the Seattle game? One of the hits flagged in the Seattle game is when Reid (l believe) hit someone shoulder to shoulder. That may be a result of Goldson and Whitner creating a reputation that the niners will have to live down. Or it could be, as the video claimed, the NFL's desire to have Seattle in the Super Bowl...LOL!
I personally want Pryor. However, I've been toying with the idea of converting Bradley Roby to safety. He is speedy, instinctive, and loves to hit. If he bulked up a little bit more he'd be Whitner with coverage ability.

Agree with you and want to see two safeties capable of covering like CBs...and good against the run. If they can get that in the draft great! I'm not a big fan of Whitner, particularly due to his image with the refs. Seems like they flag him for really silly impacts.

By the way, have you seen the video on SFGate claiming the NFL rigged the Seattle game? One of the hits flagged in the Seattle game is when Reid (l believe) hit someone shoulder to shoulder. That may be a result of Goldson and Whitner creating a reputation that the niners will have to live down. Or it could be, as the video claimed, the NFL's desire to have Seattle in the Super Bowl...LOL!

Whitner was called on that hit.
  • thl408
A recent interview with Lynch. I couldn't find a text version so I'll quote the audio interview a little bit:

In the Lynch interview, Lynch said: "Whitner said, 'There's not a whole lot of secondaries who can play as many coverages as the 49ers do. And it's Whitner who is directing a lot of that traffic and a lot of those different nuances that they jump into after the ball is snapped."

I know I'm quoting Lynch, who is quoting Whitner, but if Lynch is accurately reporting what Whitner said, it gives me some player interview evidence that the 49ers do indeed play a very complicated coverage system. If anyone remembers some of the analysis threads during the regular season, it was touched upon that the 49ers utilize a lot of pattern matching in their defensive coverages. A couple plays illustrating pattern matching was broken down (I know one was in the TB game), but I am positive that it happens quite often. The key is how Lynch mentioned "after the ball is snapped", which strongly suggests pattern matching is taking place.

Point is, replacing Whitner is more than just replacing his post snap abilities. If Whitner is replaced, Reid has to step up his mental game big time in terms of calling out coverages pre-snap. It is always the safety who calls these pre-snap coverage adjustments since they have the best view of the field.

Lynch audio interview (BR report. It gets good at the 1:20 mark)
[ Edited by thl408 on Feb 10, 2014 at 9:35 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone