There are 234 users in the forums

Who will play Strong Safety if Whitner leaves via Free Agency?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by lucky_49:
Get Michael Lewis back on the team.

Hahaha
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
As I've stated previously that the era of SS is technically OVER. with a passing league the need for down in the box SS is no longer needed.

Disagree with this part of your post. teams are starting to shift back more balanced offences......

Green Bay and New England are the two teams that were leading the charge on spread offense in the NFL, now they've brought in and using big backs and multiple backs. even with Peyton Manning doing what he did, his game played a lot off of what knowshon moreno does.

MORE IMPORTANTLY. the NFCW is a run heavy physical division, and will continue to be. we all know about Lynch, Zac Stacy is emerging in STL, and ellington in zona looks like has some potential.

so we absolutely need a SS than can play in the box.

I was going to say this. In order to win in the NFC West, yes we need the traditional SS.
I read over at a Falcons MB that former probowler Thomas DeCoud had a falling out with Mike Smith, got benched and might want to come back home to the bay area. In 2012 he signed a five year 17.5M deal. Any opinions on if he's a fit for the defense or has his game gone to crap?
Most likely draft replacement. 2 extremely young safeties surrounded with an average group of Corners is not a good strategy
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
I read over at a Falcons MB that former probowler Thomas DeCoud had a falling out with Mike Smith, got benched and might want to come back home to the bay area. In 2012 he signed a five year 17.5M deal. Any opinions on if he's a fit for the defense or has his game gone to crap?

From the way Falcons fans have been talking about his game, they'd gladly give him over to us in a heart beat. So yeah
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
TJ Ward
  • pfizz
someone forgot to tell kam chancellor that the era of the in the box strong safety is over.
Originally posted by 9er2k:
TJ Ward

Underrated. All that fool needs is a good team to play on and he'll be legit.
There are a few vet free agents out there who could be a stopgap for a developmental high pick rookie. From what I've seen this isn't a great rookie safety class, so not sure there's anyone who can step in and start immediately like Reid did.

Bernard Pollard - could demand money similar to Whitner, also a hard-hitting enforcer with championship pedigree
Antoine Bethea - past his prime but still a solid player, good hitter, fiery veteran leader who can be signed at a good price
Quintin Mikell - old but still playing very well wherever he goes, proving doubters wrong
Nate Allen - young, the S Baalke was targeting in 2010 when Singletary forced Taylor Mays on him. Poor tackler
James Ihedigbo - had a great season but could just be a one-year wonder in a great Ravens system

If we can't get Whitner back, I'm hoping we can bring in Pollard or Bethea and develop a rookie.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
As I've stated previously that the era of SS is technically OVER. with a passing league the need for down in the box SS is no longer needed. was i spoiled watching some of the GREATS from mid 80's to mid 2000's. With that said I would personally would like to see DH back. we need some continuity between him and ER along with the secondary since TB, CR, EW will not be retained.

but if the 49ers decide that it's time to move on from DH then I would like to see them draft a FS with coverage abilities and pairing the rookie with ER. Just imagining the various possibilities of pain this may cause opposing QB, and Def Coordinator. Im not sure if this may work or not but it's wishful thinking on my part but I would like to see Ed Reynolds from Stanford(yes I'm giving in to picking a local kid).

Welcome to the ER .......

Are you kidding me? Did you watch the playoffs at all? Go watch some Kam Chancellor tape and tell me the SS era is finished.

• 9er2k
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BimmerKing:
Originally posted by 9er2k:
TJ Ward

Underrated. All that fool needs is a good team to play on and he'll be legit.

I'm hoping he would want to come to a playoff contender at a reasonable price.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Well, given the a solid pass rush makes DB's look really good. I'd look for free agent safeties from teams that couldn't get near the QB. At least you will know that guy will make a solid attempt to stick with a receiver. Something to think about when you play the Seahawks twice a year.

I'd do the same in the late round of the draft.
Pick up Vontae Davis and Draft cbs for depth I think Darryl Morris is ready to step up. As for safety pick up a vet like tj ward he will look good in our system.
[ Edited by pho_t_9er on Feb 6, 2014 at 10:29 AM ]
The top three or four strong safeties in the draft will still be there at the end of the second and into the third round. And, there's a Kam Chancellor type guy, 6-2, 222, who is a tweener - almost linebacker size, Nick Williams, who may still be there in late rounds.
Just go with Bucannon, It payed off with Reid starting this past year im sure starting him opposite side with Reid wont be a weak point in our D will be fine with both of those guys out there
Share 49ersWebzone