LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

WR is NOT what the 49ers need.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Adressing the secondary would be my priority number 1. Love Reid and Brock. Brown sadly won't be back and frankly everyone just isn't very good minus Hitner

Secondary is a huge need if Whitner goes and we lose some CB's to FA also. It could derail our entire season. A bigger need than WR for sure. We have Crabtree back next year and Patton. Boldin may leave. But so what? We still got VD and Crabtree. That's more than some teams have.
  • buck
  • Veteran
When we look at the passing game, we should not forget that:

Crabtree missed 11 games.
Mario Manningham missed 10 games.
Quinton Patton, who was also injured, missed 10 games.

Of course, I could argue that those missed games had no impact on the passing game.

But, then I could also argue that I am young, good looking, and intelligent.

edit: By the way, I am as old as the hills, as ugly as a dog, and as dumb as a rock.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 26, 2014 at 6:24 PM ]
they should pull some speed from this draft and someone who can score touchdowns
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
In SD49 world, if you get injured your career is over.
Originally posted by Janitor:

Or never gets a chance to get started.
A team can get the same value drafting a wide-out in the second round as the 30th pick. Sammy Watkins looks like a sure thing, but the team will have to mortgage the draft to get him. Coach Walsh set the standard on the make-up of a roster. All his teams kept a surplus of defensive line depth that he would rotate and have fresh legs come the 4th quarter. They can get a stud at 30. With a little maneuvering they can get Trent Murphy, one of my favorites in the draft. Throw in Shane Skov with a later round also.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Bowman may never be the same. We don't know that for sure. And we have a lot of needs in the secondary. Ray Mac tore up his arm as was not the same. Justin Smith is getting older. Our NT was lost early in the year.

All I'm saying is a powerhouse top 3 type Defense will help Kaep who is still learning. He's not going to carry a team like Peyton Manning can without a great Defense or like Tom Brady can. This will actually help him. We should invest in keeping the defense strong. Very strong.

It's our best chance to win the way this team is built currently.

Hypothetically even if Bowman is never the same or even good (HUGE if), we can't operate as a defense unless we have the 2 best ILBs in the game??? Having 'only' the best ILB isn't good enough?? 31 other teams would gladly take Willis and Wilhoite as their 2 ILBs. This is ridiculous. Bill Gates has $78 billion. If he lost $10 billion, he wouldn't be applying for food stamps since he'd then only have $68 billion. Just like if you have the 2 best ILBs in the game, ILB doesn't become a need if you lose one of them. You think if one of Denver's WRs got hurt, WR would become a huge need for them?? As for DL, Ian Williams will have a full 12 months to recover, he'll be fine, and even if not, we got Dorsey who was great. We still got Smith and McDonald for 2 more years and we got tons of depth behind them with TJE, Dial, and Tank.
[ Edited by kap2crab on Jan 26, 2014 at 6:33 PM ]
With number 30 I would be CB. We need reinforcements in the secondary. Actually I would trade down from 30 and pick up a 3rd either this year or next year and take a CB or Safety. I want Carlos and Hitner gone. Their horrid coverage Killed us vs the Seachickens. Had Carlos made that play and Whitner not lose Baldwin Doug in the 2nd quarter, we'd be having Media Day on Tuesday.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews

These guys just heard their careers were over after knee injuries.
Originally posted by buck:
When we look at the passing game, we should not forget that:

Crabtree missed 11 games.
Mario Manningham missed 10 games.
Quinton Patton, who was also injured, missed 10 games.

Of course, I could argue that those missed games had no impact on the passing game.

But, then I could also argue that I am young, good looking, and intelligent.

edit: By the way, I am as old as the hills, as ugly as a dog, and as dumb as a rock.

I don't think so. You have proven that you have insight with this post.

Originally posted by NinerGod:
We need a receiver that can stretch the field. WR talent is deep this year so go with CB first, WR second. ILB can be drafted after those needs are met.

This. Not sure why some have difficulty seeing this. All you have to do is look at how impotent the offense became anytime VD went out, they just fell apart. They have 3 possession receivers and no real deep threats to speak of, yet they have a QB with a cannon for an arm but no major downfield threats other than VD, that makes no sense to me.
Originally posted by Janitor:

Or whatever the latest flavor of the month is. "OMG, Seattle has big cornerback's, small cornerback's f**king suck, we NEED big cornerback's."

Give me a break.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
We need a receiver that can stretch the field. WR talent is deep this year so go with CB first, WR second. ILB can be drafted after those needs are met.

This. Not sure why some have difficulty seeing this. All you have to do is look at how impotent the offense became anytime VD went out, they just fell apart. They have 3 possession receivers and no real deep threats to speak of, yet they have a QB with a cannon for an arm but no major downfield threats other than VD, that makes no sense to me.

Phoenix you are right BUT who at #30 overall at WR with Blazing speed will be their worthy? Most likely gonna take a major trade up unless Watkins somehow some way falls??
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

Phoenix you are right BUT who at #30 overall at WR with Blazing speed will be their worthy? Most likely gonna take a major trade up unless Watkins somehow some way falls??

We got 13 picks, I think we're in a pretty good position to trade up
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

We do not need to pick a wide receiver with the pick #30. We have three picks in the first two rounds and two or three more in the third.

Beckham has some speed. Janis, too.

I am going to guess that there are going to be good solid wide receivers available.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 26, 2014 at 6:49 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone