There are 261 users in the forums

Film analysis of the NFCCG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Stanley:
Originally posted by JDMathews49ers:
Had Kap open up to his left where Vernon and Q were, those defenders would have also open up to them. Plus most folks are thinking these guys were open after the ball was released on replay, but if you watch it from the beginning, you will see they weren't. The best thing to do in that situation that's going un-talked about is that they should have taken a timeout but that's on Harbaugh and the coaching staff.

Nah I gotta disagree with you on that one. The body language of the corner and lb on the left side looked like they let Boldin loose after he was even with them. Kap looked Thomas over to crabtree, the LB reacted to Vernon running the out, and guy over Boldin let him through and step out and in towards patton, all before they knew what Kap did.

That being said it was a doable but would have been a tight play. Kap would have had to look off Crabtree then come back to Boldin blindly with that pass rusher already on his heels.

Had Thomas went with Kap's eyes to Sherman's side and Kap then went to the other side, Kap doesn't get that ball off. As he released it to Crabs, Avril was hitting him. No way he has time to make a second or third read. Again if he opens up with his head to the left, Seattle has every route covered and Kap doesn't see that Anthony Davis has gotten beat. QP was only open because he didn't run a route (I'm assuming because he was the end man, he couldn't release out) and had Kap turned to him to complete a pass...he gets 5 yards max and we're down to about 15 seconds.

The best solution on that last play was to call a timeout right after Vernon's catch to run a better play. Had Harbaugh taken the timeout at that moment, it's 48 seconds left from the 18 and 1 more timeout in his pocket. That's what blows my mind!
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Yeah but maybe in an odd way Gore is Holding back the offense and potential explosiveness on offense?

What I mean by that is the 49ers offensive coaching is TOO dependent on Gore and not giving LMJ and Kendall and Dixon enough carries to let them develop into Good NFL backs. No way to get better if your riding pine. C'mon now.

Hunter and LMJ def should see more carries, especially to the outside. I think something that's going untalked about is how they missed Bruce Miller leading the way for Gore.
  • thl408
This is the big 51 yard pass play that victimized Reid and Whitner.

SEA: Flood right.
49ers: cover1 man

Below: Whitner is man on man with the yellow route. Reid has deep zone responsibility. SEA will use a designed rollout to get RW in space.

Below: Flooding an area is used to beat zone coverage, which is not what the 49ers are in here. No one is open for RW as he completes his rollout. Reid has given proper help to Whitner on the deep corner route. Lynch (#24 red arrow) has released for a route. Skuta is covering Lynch.

Below: The blue arrow is Dorsey lunging helplessly at RW. The red arrow is Reid drifting over to the other side of the field as he reacts to Lynch (#24).

Below: The blue circle is RW starting his windup. Notice how far Reid has drifted over to the other side of the field. Why?

Below: Same moment in time as picture above (kind of). You can see Baldwin has gotten behind Whitner.

Below: Starting from when RW eludes Dorsey. Focus on Reid and how he thinks Skuta needs help with Lynch. When a FS has deep zone responsibility, he needs to pay attention to whoever is the deepest WR. (Blame the all22 camera operator for zooming out so wide)

You can hold down the Ctrl key and mouse scroll up to enlarge the picture.
[ Edited by thl408 on Jan 27, 2014 at 5:50 PM ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
That ball hung in the air, and Reid jump JUST early enough to allow it to slide past him. Sonofa...

Game of inches. And inches are all that separate a winner from a loser.
Ouch, I remember from the game replays it looked like Whitner was mainly at fault for inexplicably letting Baldwin get behind him, but seeing the all 22 makes Reid look like the bigger culprit for creeping up on a guy literally 30 yards in front of him.
Reid had no reason sliding to Lynch's side of the field. Skuta had him the entire way.
  • thl408
^^Well that play sucked, so here's a play that has some goodness all around. Nice play design, elusiveness, a little bit of sandlot, and a 12 yard completion to convert a 3rd down.

Here's how the play is drawn up.

49ers: Mesh concept integrated with a hi-low read. This allows a man buster and a zone buster to be run in the same area of the field. Boldin and QP run the mesh. Crabs and Boldin provide the hi-low read.

SEA: cover3 zone

Below: QP and Boldin run the mesh (man buster), but it's not man coverage so no pick is set. The blue arrow is Adam Snyder getting worked and giving up pressure right up the middle.

Below: Crabs and Boldin now give a hi-low read (zone buster) in the middle of the field. Crabs depth must be behind the LB level. Boldin's depth must be in front of, or at, the LB level. Whichever WR the LB chooses to cover is the incorrect one. Kap has escaped the pocket and demands attention from the two defenders on that side of the field.

Below: Crabs notices Kap has rolled left and works back to that side of the field to help Kap.

The play doesn't work out as it was drawn up because Kap has to quickly escape pressure. Perhaps Kap still finds Crabs if he was able to remain in he pocket. I still liked the play design and this is what an offense can do when it fields 4 adequate route runners - combining concepts.

Originally posted by thl408:
^^Well that play sucked, so here's a play that has some goodness all around. Nice play design, elusiveness, a little bit of sandlot, and a 12 yard completion to convert a 3rd down.

Here's how the play is drawn up.

49ers: Mesh concept integrated with a hi-low read. This allows a man buster and a zone buster to be run in the same area of the field. Boldin and QP run the mesh. Crabs and Boldin provide the hi-low read.

SEA: cover3 zone

Below: QP and Boldin run the mesh (man buster), but it's not man coverage so no pick is set. The blue arrow is Adam Snyder getting worked and giving up pressure right up the middle.

Below: Crabs and Boldin now give a hi-low read (zone buster) in the middle of the field. Crabs depth must be behind the LB level. Boldin's depth must be in front of, or at, the LB level. Whichever WR the LB chooses to cover is the incorrect one. Kap has escaped the pocket and demands attention from the two defenders on that side of the field.

Below: Crabs notices Kap has rolled left and works back to that side of the field to help Kap.

The play doesn't work out as it was drawn up because Kap has to quickly escape pressure. Perhaps Kap still finds Crabs if he was able to remain in he pocket. I still liked the play design and this is what an offense can do when it fields 4 adequate route runners - combining concepts.

so people can shut up now about how we run passing plays that consist of High school WR route running concepts?
  • thl408
so people can shut up now about how we run passing plays that consist of High school WR route running concepts?

This is why I post those thumbnails. So it's laid out in front of our face and we can recognize the concepts the 49ers are utilizing and how they are trying to attack the defense. It's basically a peek into the 49ers' playbook. If posters think that's 'high school' concepts (I did see someone refer to it as that), then I am unsure what they want to see.
  • thl408
This play is from the drive that resulted in the second TD for the 49ers. A couple good things from Kap here.

Here's just another of the many times SEA played a hybrid coverage. Sherman (top of screen) will play a deep zone, while Maxwell has man coverage on Crabs (bottom of screen).

Below: Kap drops back and looks to his right. Both Boldin and VD are trying to attack Sherman's deep zone with vertical routes. Only Earl Thomas' legs can be seen here as ET follows Kap's eyes.

Below: Other view, a tenth of a second later. ET has moved further to that side of the field (compare using the hash marks). Chancellor (#31) and the strong side LB has gotten good depth on their drops into zone coverage. Kap will red light both these routes.

Below: Kap turns his attention to Crabs 1 on 1 with Maxwell and with the deep safety out of the way, Kap decides to pull the trigger on the deep slant.

Below: Same moment in time as picture above.

Gain of 22 yards.
[ Edited by thl408 on Jan 27, 2014 at 11:30 PM ]

• thl408
Here's the very next play.

49ers will sell a Gore run to the right by pulling the LG Snyder.

Below: Irvin(#51) has bit hard on the fake and loses his backside contain. #68 Snyder has pulled to help sell the misdirection.

Below: Same moment in time as picture above. Irvin has committed a huge no no when playing someone like Kap.

Solid blocking by Crabs. 22 yard gain.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
That's a hell of a throw by Kap in post #52. Moving left and he threads the needle to the right.

This is why I post those thumbnails. So it's laid out in front of our face and we can recognize the concepts the 49ers are utilizing and how they are trying to attack the defense. It's basically a peek into the 49ers' playbook. If posters think that's 'high school' concepts (I did see someone refer to it as that), then I am unsure what they want to see.

they don't see anything. they're just f**king idiots who think they know football
Here's the very next play.

49ers will sell a Gore run to the right by pulling the LG Snyder.

Below: Irvin(#51) has bit hard on the fake and loses his backside contain. #68 Snyder has pulled to help sell the misdirection.

Below: Same moment in time as picture above. Irvin has committed a huge no no when playing someone like Kap.

Solid blocking by Crabs. 22 yard gain.

LOVEDDDDDDD loved LOVED this play
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I'll admit the thought has crossed my mind. Depends what we want to do on offense. Many people want to see us spread the field a little more. Use the FB less, and either go 3-wide or 2 WR/ 2 TE more often. If that's the case, then yes, we should use speedier RBs. But I really don't have a problem with Frank's running style. He's still very effective. Doesn't look pretty, but production is production.

Was our fullback really healthy though?
Share 49ersWebzone