LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

Film analysis of the NFCCG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Im a bit confused as to why the fumble play isnt broken down more.

It's perhaps the most 'interesting' one. Anthony Davis gets owned and Kaep stares down his primary read (who is completely blanketed) while not even looking at the other side of the field.
And on other side of the field, corner slips, leaving our outside WR with the most separation we got all game on the outside. Earl thomas sees the first read by Kaep and bites (ultimately, correctly), vacating his space.

this is a potential touchdown on the table turned into fumble.

both this play and the first pick one (one where boldin is bracketed by two dbs before kaep even raises his arm to pass) are way more worrying and analysis-worthy to me than the final play everyone was talking about and analyzed to death

Well done...you can see the S's already running towards the AR (one read) totally ignoring the rest of the assignments. That's good defensive preparation.

This doesn't look like an AR-type play. The read on the top of the screen was isolated pretty much until Kaepernick's chest was facing the opposite sideline, and Chancellor appeared to be dropping into single-high until he saw that. Earl Thomas had shallower coverage but didn't turn towards the sideline until Kaepernick's body faced that sideline.
  • thl408
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Im a bit confused as to why the fumble play isnt broken down more.

snip

It's perhaps the most 'interesting' one. Anthony Davis gets owned and Kaep stares down his primary read (who is completely blanketed) while not even looking at the other side of the field.
And on other side of the field, corner slips, leaving our outside WR with the most separation we got all game on the outside. Earl thomas sees the first read by Kaep and bites (ultimately, correctly), vacating his space.

this is a potential touchdown on the table turned into fumble.

both this play and the first pick one (one where boldin is bracketed by two dbs before kaep even raises his arm to pass) are way more worrying and analysis-worthy to me than the final play everyone was talking about and analyzed to death

Agreed this play was interesting and originally deserved a breakdown. I got lazy and wanted to end it, but now that it's bumped back up again...I can see why Kap went to QP as his primary read. Also, like you said, ADavis got beat around the corner, but Boone made a worse mistake imobservation. Coupled with Kap hanging on to the ball too long and the play sucks.
  • thl408
Below: SEA shows a two deep saftey look. This already should be odd because they rarely ever play two deep safties.

Below: The ball was just snapped. Notice the safeties. . SEA shows cover2, but will switch to cover1 as Chancellor drops to play the lone deep safety.

Below: Kap starts his dropback and he wants QP on the vertical route (may have been a back shoulder throw) and looks at the middle of the field to freeze the safties. His first key is ET. Kap sees that ET (#29) has stayed exactly where he was pre-snap. This let's Kap know that he has QP 1 on 1 down the sideline. Notice what is going on with Bennet vs Boone/Goodwin. Chancellor is seen dropping to his landmark in the deep center of the field.

Below: Kap now looks to QP who, in my view, runs a bit of a lazy route versus Maxwell's coverage. QP is covered and Kap will pull the ball down as he will sense pressure to his right. Boone and Goodwin still give up a pressure to Bennet. ADavis will allow Avril to run all the way around him.

Same moment as picture above

Below: Right before he gets stripped, Kap looks to Crabs.

Same moment as picture above

While Thurmond does slip covering Crabs, Kap's first read was QP. Kap could have stepped up into the pocket as opposed to scrambling left. He did eventually go back to Crabs, but Avril came just in time to strip the ball. QP runs a bit of a lazy route. Boone got turned. ET was not going to let Kap run and was actually playing as the spy as he beelines it to Kap once Kap starts his scramble.

edit: fixed the size of the pics
[ Edited by thl408 on Feb 16, 2014 at 11:46 AM ]
  • thl408
Whoops the screenshots came out too small. Use Ctrl and mouse wheel up.
Originally posted by thl408:

All I gotta say is God damn ET is FAST.
He was going to throw the ball to Vernon, who was breaking open. Kap never expected a pure whiff by Davis, he figured he might be able to at least TOUCH the guy for a half second.

The only mistake was not knowing the Davis would 100% whiff on the block.

Every single play has phantom "open" players, when you cherry pick through the film.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
He was going to throw the ball to Vernon, who was breaking open. Kap never expected a pure whiff by Davis, he figured he might be able to at least TOUCH the guy for a half second.

Every single play has phantom "open" players, when you cherry pick through the film.

I don't envy QBs. It's so easy to play a failed play in slow motion 40x over and say OH this guy screwed up, so and so was wide open. But in reality you get a ball, and have like 2-3 seconds to make 3-4 reads and throw the ball, meanwhile you have 1-3 230+ lb dudes just looking for an excuse to snap you in half.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
It may be the right decision to look to Crabtree when he had Sherman 1 on 1 with no safety help. But when Crabtree couldn't beat Sherman at any point from the start to the end of that route to get to the ball, it became the wrong decision to throw the ball. Pretty simple to understand when the play unfolded before our eyes. The only people that can't understand it, are the ones that think Kaep had no wrong to throw that ball or no wrong at all on that play.

You have to play the game.

If Shaquille O'Neal is in his prime and playing center, you can't just shoot three pointers all game. You have to actually go after him despite the fact that it is difficult. If you do nothing but avoid him the whole darn time, you will lose before halftime.

If its a one-on-one, you have to go after it. "He's the best corner in the league, therefore we can't throw to him." That mindset will get you killed by halftime, and you will never be in a position to try and win the game at the end.
  • thl408
Originally posted by zaghawk:
Originally posted by BrianGO:

I don't envy QBs. It's so easy to play a failed play in slow motion 40x over and say OH this guy screwed up, so and so was wide open. But in reality you get a ball, and have like 2-3 seconds to make 3-4 reads and throw the ball, meanwhile you have 1-3 230+ lb dudes just looking for an excuse to snap you in half.

I have no doubt Kap was looking to Crabs across the field right before he was stripped. I screwed up the screenshot by making it too small. Kap's head was turned to look across the field. VD was "in front" of Kap.

edit
Fixed the size of the pics
[ Edited by thl408 on Feb 16, 2014 at 11:49 AM ]
Originally posted by BKpower:
This doesn't look like an AR-type play. The read on the top of the screen was isolated pretty much until Kaepernick's chest was facing the opposite sideline, and Chancellor appeared to be dropping into single-high until he saw that. Earl Thomas had shallower coverage but didn't turn towards the sideline until Kaepernick's body faced that sideline.

I wrote, "AR (one read)"...sorry, meant AR "or" one read (aka primary read) depending on the call. And now, the more I watch it, it appears the primary read was VD? B/c Patton's route looks sort of weak and half-assed despite being in single coverage. He just sorts of runs to the sidelines and turns around...not exactly selling anything there or trying hard to shake a DB to get open.

Also, Hunter flares out as an outlet and gets tackled.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 17, 2014 at 12:39 PM ]

I have no doubt Kap was looking to Crabs across the field right before he was stripped. I screwed up the screenshot by making it too small. Kap's head was turned to look across the field. VD was "in front" of Kap.

edit
Fixed the size of the pics

I saw that too and he may have had Crabtree on that very deep post had he had an extra second there.

While Thurmond does slip covering Crabs, Kap's first read was QP. Kap could have stepped up into the pocket as opposed to scrambling left. He did eventually go back to Crabs, but Avril came just in time to strip the ball. QP runs a bit of a lazy route. Boone got turned. ET was not going to let Kap run and was actually playing as the spy as he beelines it to Kap once Kap starts his scramble.

edit: fixed the size of the pics

Damn. You can see the safety #29 squatting in front of the 40yd line looking into the backfield. He made no attempt to move until Kaep started to scramble. Had Kaep trust VD enough to throw it to the outside where VD will eventually be to the sideline, that would have been a huge gain.

You can see Kaep saw it too as he was trying to avoid the rush. I don't think Kaep recognized the open area about to unfold, because he looked further to the outside for another receiver before going back to VD and attempted to throw the ball. By that time it's too late. The defender already knocking the ball out of his hand. A veteran qb would have thrown VD open into the open area behind that squatting safety, outside the numbers. Kaep keeps his head straight for a little longer, there's no way that safety could have caught up with the ball even if he had turned to the outside. When VD got even with the safety, that safety is beaten.

It's good that Kaep actually recognized it but a bit late. Maybe next year
Damn. You can see the safety #29 squatting in front of the 40yd line looking into the backfield. He made no attempt to move until Kaep started to scramble. Had Kaep trust VD enough to throw it to the outside where VD will eventually be to the sideline, that would have been a huge gain.

You can see Kaep saw it too as he was trying to avoid the rush. I don't think Kaep recognized the open area about to unfold, because he looked further to the outside for another receiver before going back to VD and attempted to throw the ball. By that time it's too late. The defender already knocking the ball out of his hand. A veteran qb would have thrown VD open into the open area behind that squatting safety, outside the numbers. Kaep keeps his head straight for a little longer, there's no way that safety could have caught up with the ball even if he had turned to the outside. When VD got even with the safety, that safety is beaten.

They were spying CK a lot this game with LB's or S's mostly. And it's just like a blitz...pass to the side/spot they vacated. Here is an example of as soon as ET starts to run with CK, that area is now open and right into the area VD is designed to go with a trailing DB. That said, ET was in the perfect spot and blew up the route initially so CK wisely slides and buys more time and then the route comes open again.

I think the original design was to hit VD right as he turned. Unfortunately ET was in the perfect spot and then blew up field with CK while he trying to buy more time. Too late.

Like you said, hopefully, the coaches will teach him to look to vacated areas by defenders (blitz or not).
  • Geeked
  • Veteran

Dude, if the 49ers line keeps blocking like that, he'll be lucky to recognize his parents next season. Davis has GOT to be more effective than that.
  • thl408
Kaps's first read is QP. You can see Kap's head turn to QP once he thinks he has ET frozen. VD was second. Truth is, ET was just playing a robber/spy role. he wasn't 'frozen' at all.
[ Edited by thl408 on Feb 17, 2014 at 2:23 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone