LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Film analysis of the NFCCG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
After getting abused by Boldin in the jump-ball game and seeing all he did this year, I agree...IF you seriously think this was a great call, isolate BOLDIN, not Crabtree, a guy who's coming off a torn achilles and not exactly known for winning corner EZ routes.

Exactly. If you throwing a jump ball throw it to Boldin. He knows how to use his body and be physical with the CB while still making the catch. It's no hate on Crabtree but that's just not his skill set. They throwing the pass like we got AJ Green or Megatron out there.
Originally posted by thl408:
"NC, let's not take everything Harbaugh says as truth. He is defending his QB's decision. He always defends his players. We should know this by now. My guess is that, at some point in the offseason, Harbaugh drills it into Kap's head that you do not throw a fade route when the WR is a step behind the CB, unless the CB is 5'10".

For reference.:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/harbaugh-kaepernick-made-correct-read-final-playMatt

Maiocco (MM) interviewing Jim Harbaugh (JH):
MM: "Colin said after the game that his mind was made up "pre snap" where to go with the ball. Is that the right call in that situation...that play, to go ahead and make that decision where you're going to throw the ball before the ball is even snapped?"
JH: "Pre snap decisions are made based on the route call, the matchups, coverage...I guess that does happen on certain pass plays."
MM: "Is that one of those plays?"
JH: "Yes."
MM: "So when you look at the film and review that, was that the correct call...thing to do?"
JH: "Yes."

I'll be honest...I'm not sure if this was an AR or not. What it may have been is that the play design (flooding on the left side) helped isolate Crabtree 1on1 on the right sideline. The primary read (or AR) is to Crabtree naturally (by design). CK got to the line and checked the defense and still liked the matchup (arg!) and went for it despite the fact that, in-play, Sherman was ahead of Crabtree's route 1/2-way through the play.

Either way, there is not a single thing I liked about this play...from the call itself and lack of situational awareness to the pre and in-play read to the poor exection by Davis and CK and the attitude to go-for-it no matter what.

Thanks for posting that NC. Again, JH has never ever thrown a player under the bus. I know for a fact that Jim did not fully answer MM's question. If Sherman bails, the route is completely defeated and Kap must come off of Crabs and look elsewhere. Just imagine if Sherman was playing over the top with a cushion. Had Kap still thrown the pass in this hypothetical situation, then cut his ass now. And I love Kap. Point is, there are additional coverage reads that Kap has to make post-snap.

So true...Harbaugh will and should always back his players up. I'm not sure if this is a case where he is really backing up CK (or that he needs too) but rather, noting the play was pre-determined and that (assuming here) if the defensive-look matched up, you've got the green light to go through with it. I mean, I actually see CK as the secondary issue here. The primary (see me going through the progressions here? LOL) issue is the play call itself thinking the design of the play favored us at this time of the game and specifically, against Sherman with Crabtree as the primary read (or AR). I think (again, assuming) once the play was lined up and CK did see the 1on1 as the primary read/AR, I believe CK (he's proven it by now)...I believe he's taking Crabtree 1on1 on anybody, anytime...to a fault. So that then circles back to HaRoMan and the play call itself and the decision to not talk it over.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I really don't think JH would have told CK to just throw it out if Sherman is covering Crabtree. The Niners designed that play already knowing the match up. They got what they wanted. My question is why even have that play to Crabtree in the playbook when we have never seen him out leap anybody in the endzone for a TD. That's not his game. It didn't work in the super bowl so scrap it. I think JH is way to fiery and way too much of a competitor to ever tell CK to just throw it out. He'll tell him to take a shot. One reason why JH had limits on his NFL success as a qb. Taking too many chances leading to too many turnovers. .

After getting abused by Boldin in the jump-ball game and seeing all he did this year, I agree...IF you seriously think this was a great call, isolate BOLDIN, not Crabtree, a guy who's coming off a torn achilles and not exactly known for winning corner EZ routes.

Totally agree with you guys here on the bolded. Damn it, just when this thread was half way down page 1, it comes back to the top. I'm tapping out. Have fun fellas.

Can't blame you brother. Thanks for all the video-support!
[video]http:// https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEp4r2q9tTA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
[video]http:// https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEp4r2q9tTA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

This topic was moved to the Parking Lot. Pretty good open discussion.
Has Marshawn Lynch Long Touch Down run been broken down in this thread?
Originally posted by 94605NiNer:
Has Marshawn Lynch Long Touch Down run been broken down in this thread?

Different thread
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/176864-all-breakdown-49ers-loss-seattle/

I saw another breakdown of the play (probably from thl408 but I couldn't find it in this thread) which pinned the blame mostly on Bo for basically vacating his gap and then Reid for overrunning the play. Watch the gif, keep an eye on Bo and 78 for the Seahawks (Bailey) who goes to block Bo initially, but since Bo was nowhere to be found, he turned upfield and doubled Whitner, which left Reid with the only chance to make the tackle and we all know how that turned out.
How would the ball trajectory look like, if Kaepernick took the forward step on that last play?
I really don't think JH would have told CK to just throw it out if Sherman is covering Crabtree. The Niners designed that play already knowing the match up. They got what they wanted. My question is why even have that play to Crabtree in the playbook when we have never seen him out leap anybody in the endzone for a TD. That's not his game. It didn't work in the super bowl so scrap it. I think JH is way to fiery and way too much of a competitor to ever tell CK to just throw it out. He'll tell him to take a shot. One reason why JH had limits on his NFL success as a qb. Taking too many chances leading to too many turnovers. .

I understand why people are critical of this play; there are good points to be made. But there is another side to the coin.

- A first down doesn't guarantee anything, we needed a touchdown. Everybody agrees with this.
- Being ten yards closer to the endzone doesn't make it easier to get into the endzone.
- Being right at the 1 yard line DOES make it easier to get a touchdown, but what are the chances of that happening, with only two timeouts left and 40 something seconds left on the clock? The chances of us getting that close to the endzone are very small. And once we got that close, would we still have timeouts left? Would we still have time to run the ball? Again, highly unlikely.
- If Seattle is assuming we DON'T want to make a "risky" play on 1st down, isn't that a good time to take advantage of their strategy, and go against the grain?
- If your best WR is isolated on a great CB one-on-one, you have to SOMETIMES throw the ball to him. Because if you don't throw the ball to him in these situations, when would you EVER throw the ball his way?
- Just because you throw a ball vs the best corner in the league, doesn't mean it will AUTOMATICALLY be an interception. It's not like we're talking about either a touchdown or an interception. It could easily be defended well, and fall incomplete, allowing you to continue playing.
- People are assuming there was NO chance for Crabtree to catch a touchdown on that play. I don't understand this. Even with tight coverage, Crabtree has proven many times, that he can fight for the ball against the best corners in the league.

Again, I understand why people are upset about it, and it's not a slam dunk either way, but I feel that the play was a solid decision given all the above circumstances.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Feb 6, 2014 at 4:05 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:

I understand why people are critical of this play; there are good points to be made. But there is another side to the coin.

- A first down doesn't guarantee anything, we needed a touchdown. Everybody agrees with this.
- Being ten yards closer to the endzone doesn't make it easier to get into the endzone.
- Being right at the 1 yard line DOES make it easier to get a touchdown, but what are the chances of that happening, with only two timeouts left and 40 something seconds left on the clock? The chances of us getting that close to the endzone are very small. And once we got that close, would we still have timeouts left? Would we still have time to run the ball? Again, highly unlikely.
- If Seattle is assuming we DON'T want to make a "risky" play on 1st down, isn't that a good time to take advantage of their strategy, and go against the grain?
- If your best WR is isolated on a great CB one-on-one, you have to SOMETIMES throw the ball to him. Because if you don't throw the ball to him in these situations, when would you EVER throw the ball his way?
- Just because you throw a ball vs the best corner in the league, doesn't mean it will AUTOMATICALLY be an interception. It's not like we're talking about either a touchdown or an interception. It could easily be defended well, and fall incomplete, allowing you to continue playing.
- People are assuming there was NO chance for Crabtree to catch a touchdown on that play. I don't understand this. Even with tight coverage, Crabtree has proven many times, that he can fight for the ball against the best corners in the league.

Again, I understand why people are upset about it, and it's not a slam dunk either way, but I feel that the play was a solid decision given all the above circumstances.

While, IMHO, my answer would be "no," I do get your stance and perhaps, HaRoMan's thinking here as well. It's always good to get both sides of the story here!

It may be the right decision to look to Crabtree when he had Sherman 1 on 1 with no safety help. But when Crabtree couldn't beat Sherman at any point from the start to the end of that route to get to the ball, it became the wrong decision to throw the ball. Pretty simple to understand when the play unfolded before our eyes. The only people that can't understand it, are the ones that think Kaep had no wrong to throw that ball or no wrong at all on that play.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
We had game analysis completely disproving your radical perspective with whatever you had seen, for some reason, about Kendall Hunter.

Or you just throw a better ball dude. It's not hard to f**king understand.

I must have missed that exchange. LOL.

So I take it you like the play call there at that time of the game, like the go-for-it attitude by CK and blame Davis for his inability to pass protect for the length of time it took to get this ball off more accurately (i.e. CK couldn't full step into the throw)? I just want to make sure I understand YOUR perspective here...for the record.

Nah, don't really blame Davis for Kaep's inaccuracy. Despite the fact he has gotten beat the past 2 years in clutch moments. Obviously Davis holding up his protection would have helped. And they were in no-huddle, it all happens so fast. We were clicking. When you re-watch that last drive live again you just don't even think about it as much. (at least to me). Maybe if he had more time he wouldn't have to telegraph the throw as much? I think that's an interesting point.
We had game analysis completely disproving your radical perspective with whatever you had seen, for some reason, about Kendall Hunter.

Or you just throw a better ball dude. It's not hard to f**king understand.

I must have missed that exchange. LOL.

So I take it you like the play call there at that time of the game, like the go-for-it attitude by CK and blame Davis for his inability to pass protect for the length of time it took to get this ball off more accurately (i.e. CK couldn't full step into the throw)? I just want to make sure I understand YOUR perspective here...for the record.

Nah, don't really blame Davis for Kaep's inaccuracy. Despite the fact he has gotten beat the past 2 years in clutch moments. Obviously Davis holding up his protection would have helped. And they were in no-huddle, it all happens so fast. We were clicking. When you re-watch that last drive live again you just don't even think about it as much. (at least to me). Maybe if he had more time he wouldn't have to telegraph the throw as much? I think that's an interesting point.

Gotcha...it may have been others who noted that CK was not allowed to fully follow-through with his pass d/t the pressure given up by Davis.

I would have imagined we lost a full minute or two on the Bowman-non fumble recovery d/t the Hawks getting a 4th down and running a play again. I would imagine we would have been less impatient at the 18 (hopefully).
Im a bit confused as to why the fumble play isnt broken down more.

It's perhaps the most 'interesting' one. Anthony Davis gets owned and Kaep stares down his primary read (who is completely blanketed) while not even looking at the other side of the field.
And on other side of the field, corner slips, leaving our outside WR with the most separation we got all game on the outside. Earl thomas sees the first read by Kaep and bites (ultimately, correctly), vacating his space.

this is a potential touchdown on the table turned into fumble.

both this play and the first pick one (one where boldin is bracketed by two dbs before kaep even raises his arm to pass) are way more worrying and analysis-worthy to me than the final play everyone was talking about and analyzed to death
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Im a bit confused as to why the fumble play isnt broken down more.

It's perhaps the most 'interesting' one. Anthony Davis gets owned and Kaep stares down his primary read (who is completely blanketed) while not even looking at the other side of the field.
And on other side of the field, corner slips, leaving our outside WR with the most separation we got all game on the outside. Earl thomas sees the first read by Kaep and bites (ultimately, correctly), vacating his space.

this is a potential touchdown on the table turned into fumble.

both this play and the first pick one (one where boldin is bracketed by two dbs before kaep even raises his arm to pass) are way more worrying and analysis-worthy to me than the final play everyone was talking about and analyzed to death

Well done...you can see the S's already running towards the AR (one read) totally ignoring the rest of the assignments. That's good defensive preparation.
Share 49ersWebzone