There are 148 users in the forums

3 & 22 and 4 & 7

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Niners decided to play their most complete game 1 week too soon against the Panthers. The attention to detail wasn't there vs Seattle and to think that they played such a hit n miss game yet they still had a shot at the end should give us some comfort but sadly that's the problem. All year long we watched as they did this against good teams and bad teams sometimes being able to overcome the lapses of focus by players to pull games out and it finally caught up with them.

It began when they allowed Rogers to get back in the mix. Rogers has had trouble guarding guys with 2 good hamstrings. To think that with one now being 85-90% he'd somehow be helpful is foolish, arrogant and cost them greatly. Cox was doing just fine there and couldn't have done any worse than Rogers did in hindsight and it was obvious that Seattle was targeting him too knowing this as well. Also another momentum killer was going up 17-10 with the jump pass to Boldin to then right after only go and give up a 70 yard kick return right after that which lead to a FG was another problem issue in a game so tight.

Jumping offsides, not continuing to rush the passer knowing that it's essentially a free play for the offense and then allowing a TD catch on the back end, inexcusable. Kap topping that off with the turnovers in the 4th was just the icing.
Originally posted by lamontb:
That makes no sense. How do you prep for a play not knowing that a player on your team is going to be offsides? How does Seattle possibly know that Aldon was gonna jump? They were running that play regardless of the penalty not b/c of it.

Actually, you're dead wrong. The receivers are looking at the ball before the snap. When someone jumps, they know it (crowd reaction also helps). Also telling was the spacing. The receivers were lined up way too close to each other. That's why you see two of Seattles players coming close to converging. Had it been a designed play, you would have seen more separation.
Originally posted by Paulb10486:
That makes no sense. How do you prep for a play not knowing that a player on your team is going to be offsides? How does Seattle possibly know that Aldon was gonna jump? They were running that play regardless of the penalty not b/c of it.

Actually, you're dead wrong. The receivers are looking at the ball before the snap. When someone jumps, they know it (crowd reaction also helps). Also telling was the spacing. The receivers were lined up way too close to each other. That's why you see two of Seattles players coming close to converging. Had it been a designed play, you would have seen more separation.

sound fx showed before the play wilson and carroll talking on the sideline about doing a hard count. wilson can be heard saying they're almost jumping on a 1 count we can get them on a hard count.
None of that matters what does matter is we had the ball last with a chance to score the game winning touchdown and leave only seconds on the clock. And a terrible decision on Roman or Kaepernicks end ended the game what happened prior didn't even matter anymore at that point. The game came down to that drive and we didn't capitalize.

You really think they'd have all 3 receivers in a trips set run verticals on a 4th/7 that isn't at the end of the half or game? No, this was a PRACTICED "improv" by the Seahawks, Baldwin and Tate were not originally running verts. It's not an unheard of concept to have a pre-determined "free play", particularly when you have a QB who's good with the hard count and/or playing a team with an aggressive pass rush and who might have shown a tendency to jump.

I don't know how many times A. Smith was flagged this year, but like a lot of great DE's, he's looking to time his jump. In fact, I was surprised he didn't get called on at least two in the Carolina playoff game, that's how close he was, and was one of the Panthers fans' reasons for "the refs screwed us" on their board. And don't know that it's done too much these days, but it used to be an automatic for centers to snap the ball when someone jumped to guarantee the flag and possible free play.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Paulb10486:

sound fx showed before the play wilson and carroll talking on the sideline about doing a hard count. wilson can be heard saying they're almost jumping on a 1 count we can get them on a hard count.

well i stand corrected. So they executed what they wanted and Niners didn't
Here's something that perplexes me about some Niner fans:

On the one hand, you've got a 3rd and 22 and then a 4th and 7. To allow a TD in that situation is a huge breakdown; a huge defensive collapse.

On the other hand, you've got less than a minute to go, you need a TD to win the game and you challenge a one-on-one situation with a shot to the end zone. It doesn't work because the pass, while a pretty good one, was not quite long enough and the corner, who is the best in the league, made a great play on the ball.

And yet some Niner fans look at those two sequences of events and somehow come away believing the Niners lost the game more because of the pass and less because of the defensive breakdown. From a critical thinking standpoint, this just doesn't make sense to me.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Originally posted by Niners6262:
this is the turning point

pathetic that luke wilson got 15yds to make them think 2x and go for it on 4th down.

harbaugh got out coached......u gotta remind every player no off-sides on this play when its 4th and 7...the worst is ray mcdonald and aldon both basically stopped and stood around after the off-sides

fckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Not sure you can say someone got out coached because a player jumps offsides. The coaches could have repetedly told them not to jump so may have just been a mental error on Smith.

they also didn't look prepared for all jets go or whatever play seattle ran

from what i read seattle likes to run that play on free plays...we should've been prepped for that

maybe they were and players didn't execute whatever the case

fckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

what do you mean how do u prep for a play? u continue to rush if ur off-sides u don't stop and stand there like mcdonald and aldon did....and the secondary needs to be ready for it cuz its something they do
Originally posted by crake49:
Here's something that perplexes me about some Niner fans:

On the one hand, you've got a 3rd and 22 and then a 4th and 7. To allow a TD in that situation is a huge breakdown; a huge defensive collapse.

On the other hand, you've got less than a minute to go, you need a TD to win the game and you challenge a one-on-one situation with a shot to the end zone. It doesn't work because the pass, while a pretty good one, was not quite long enough and the corner, who is the best in the league, made a great play on the ball.

And yet some Niner fans look at those two sequences of events and somehow come away believing the Niners lost the game more because of the pass and less because of the defensive breakdown. From a critical thinking standpoint, this just doesn't make sense to me.

To need 80 yards and a TD in the waning seconds of the game is not where we should have been. I agree that the momentum swing in this game happened on those two defensive plays. And I agree that Carlos Rogers was horrible. He played his last game in SF.

I thought our defense had a great season and was really the reason we went 12-4 and won two road playoff games. But those two plays were sorry.
  • thl408
If a defensive player jumps offsides, might as well make contact with an offensive player and kill the play before the snap. Kind of similar to what Brooks did in CAR when he jumped over the Oline. Either way it's a 5 yard penalty, but what Brooks did doesn't allow the offense from getting a 'free' play. Aldon just stood there as though the play was dead.

The way we were playing throughout the first half, and with the lead going into the 4th, the ONLY way Seattle gets back in the game was on a 'magical' (for them) sequence like this. Sucks that our players made it happen for them, especially after all the good things this defense did throughout the year.

I haven't brought myself to watch the play again, and likely never will -- but it almost looked like Aldon got back onside before the actual snap. Has anyone taken a closer look at this play to confirm that he was offside?
Originally posted by Niners6262:
this is the turning point

pathetic that luke wilson got 15yds to make them think 2x and go for it on 4th down.

harbaugh got out coached......u gotta remind every player no off-sides on this play when its 4th and 7...the worst is ray mcdonald and aldon both basically stopped and stood around after the off-sides

fckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Not sure you can say someone got out coached because a player jumps offsides. The coaches could have repetedly told them not to jump so may have just been a mental error on Smith.

they also didn't look prepared for all jets go or whatever play seattle ran

from what i read seattle likes to run that play on free plays...we should've been prepped for that

maybe they were and players didn't execute whatever the case

fckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Because they planned to draw them off on the hard count. They have the NFL audio, around 2:00 mark in the video when Carroll and Wilson call the play. They put it together when Hauschka said the 53 yard field goal, into the gusting wind, was a bad idea.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/0ap2000000316739/Sound-FX-Seahawks-clinch-Super-Bowl-berth
Anything that could ever happen, happens in a parallel universe. (Many Worlds Interpretation) In some parallel universes,the 49ers beat the Seahawks last Sunday in the NFC Championship game and then went on to win Super Bowl 48. I honestly believe this

But it gets better, there are some parallel universes where the 49ers won 12 Super Bowls as of January 2014 including Super Bowl 10, Super Bowl 17, Super Bowl 30, Super Bowl 39, Super Bowl 46, Super Bowl 47 and Super Bowl 48. Heck there are universes where the 49ers won every Super Bowl since Super Bowl I

In SOME of those parallel universes where the 49ers beat the Seahawks last week in the NFC Championship game ,the 49ers beat the Seahawks in the NFC Championship game 62-7. Heck there are even parallel universes where the Seahawks won 3 games COMBINED in 2012 and 2013 and thus didn't even make the playoffs the last 3 seasons.

And in some of the parallel universes where the 49ers beat the Seahawks in a close NFC Championship game last week, the 49ers didn't jump offside and that free play touchdown never happened (in those universes the Seahawks missed a field goal and the niners ended up winning 24-16

So who cares about this universe,when there are millions of universes where the 49ers beat the Seahawks last week and won Super Bowl 48

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation
http://listverse.com/2013/02/22/10-mind-bending-implications-of-the-many-worlds-theory/
http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/10/20/us-science-cern-idUSTRE69J35X20101020
[ Edited by jayvason1127 on Jan 24, 2014 at 1:37 PM ]
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
4 and 7 bothers me the most, I don't care about the offside because its still would've been 4 and 2 and if they do convert that its still doesn't automatically mean they'll score a TD, worst case would've been 3 points. Carlos Rogers! damn that guy sucks, He wont be with the team because he made it clear he doesn't want to take less money.

That's not really on Carlos Rogers. He had blanket coverage, Kearse got very lucky to catch it and Russell Wilson wouldn't even have taken that chance if Aldon wasn't offsides, he knew it was a free play
Good point. Why bother even watching the 49ers when you already know about their success in another universe? No point in even trying here because all the success out there is more than enough to satisfy? Actually, why bother attempting anything when you know you have already accomplished ultimate success somewhere else? Or, perhaps this is the universe where you exist in the nadir?
Share 49ersWebzone