LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

Which Legendary Niner QB Should Kaepernick Take Advice From?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which Legendary Niner QB Should Kaepernick Take Advice From?

What do you mean by "take advice from?" It's not like he can have a four-hour conversation with one of these guys and suddenly turn into a bonafide pocket passer. He needs consistent coaching and repetition. That's the only way he's going to get better. Yes, his mentor matters, but it takes mentoring and beating it into his brain until it's second-nature to him.
Originally posted by robniner:
Throughout the run of Colin starting, you heard comments and opinions from Joe Montana and Steve Young of the development of the young QB. They both see potential but sense improvement. They present two different aspects to the table but two things they share: the WCO and the rings.

Its obvious the Colin needs to improve in a number of areas like decision-making and poise. Who do you think should Colin take advice from?

The way I look at it, a combination of both due to Joe's mastery and Steve's physical stature.

We do not run a West Coast offense. Just because Harbaugh says its a West Coast offense doesnt mean it is one. No quick slants and no love for the rb catching passes. I dont remember the West Coast offense lining up on the play with 3 tight ends either
Well

Kaep will have to not think about the attention scene and just focus on being a better football player during the off-season. Needs to seek ways in how to make better decisions on the field.
Since Kap's problem is staying undefeated in road playoff games, he should learn from someone who had a better road playoff record than him.

Oh wait, there aren't any human beings on planet earth who fit that description. Darn...

Perhaps he could learn from an expert Madden Football player who knows how to go undefeated in road playoff games? Or perhaps we could contact SETI and ask them to send forth a message for alien athletes with a better road playoff record in similar sports? Or perhaps he could get some advice from High School athletes on what it takes to stay undefeated on the road; perhaps De La Salle? Are they still undefeated?

Eli Manning and Joe Flacco have won three road playoff games in a row, and we all know they won at least two Super Bowls in their first two seasons. So maybe they can provide some advice on how to not be so careless with the ball, you know, throw it up for grabs hoping a receiver makes a magical play; that's not something those guys have ever done to win playoff games.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jan 22, 2014 at 10:43 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Since Kap's problem is staying undefeated in road playoff games, he should learn from someone who had a better road playoff record than him.

Oh wait, there aren't any human beings on planet earth who fit that description. Darn...

Perhaps he could learn from an expert Madden Football player who knows how to go undefeated in road playoff games? Or perhaps we could contact SETI and ask them to send forth a message for alien athletes with a better road playoff record in similar sports? Or perhaps he could get some advice from High School athletes on what it takes to stay undefeated on the road; perhaps De La Salle? Are they still undefeated?

Eli Manning and Joe Flacco have won three road playoff games in a row, and we all know they won at least two Super Bowls in their first two seasons. So maybe they can provide some advice on how to not be so careless with the ball, you know, throw it up for grabs hoping a receiver makes a magical play; that's not something those guys have ever done to win playoff games.

Truth bomb.
I would imagine he should take advice from any legendary qb

STEVE YOUNG

/thread
Montana was giving advice from his own perspective. In his era, with his skillset, you stayed in the pocket. He was fairly mobile, but the offense he ran was purely based on timing. Montana could make plays with his legs, but wasnt it more so from scrambling up the middle when he could take the yards?

As much as I respect Montana, or any former QB from years past, they all like to put things in the perspective of their generation, which isnt how the modern NFL always works.

Kap is arguably the biggest running weapon in NFL history from the QB position. Montana was trying to help, but I think a different set of rules apply to Kap because of his running abilities.

Obviously we'd all like to see him improve at standing in there for another couple seconds and find his 2nd or 3rd read, or step up in the pocket to throw more, but when he rolls out hes at his best. He can throw across his body with more power and accuracy than anyone in the NFL right now.
I don't think he needs advice what he needs to do is spend a big portion of his off season in the film room and seeing all the times he stared down one receiver while others were open open and fix that mistake. He needs to work extra hard if he wants to get to the next level hes still young and has a lot of athletic talent he just needs to do the extra work it takes to become great. I'm not saying he hasn't worked hard just saying hes going to have to work harder.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Jan 23, 2014 at 11:52 AM ]
Jim Harbaugh

Okay, if that pass at the end of the NFC championship was just one foot deeper, Crabs hauls it in and we win. Whew! I needed to say that, even though he missed on the deep ball, that is generally where Kaep looks best, Kaep needs to learn Joe's short game, the dinks the dunks, the screens, and the check downs….kinda like Alex Smith, but with balls. Of all the QBs I think ape reminds me more of a mobil Brett Farve. Farve tossed a lot of bad balls in his day, especially when he was young, compared to the ever safe Alex Smith, gimmie the gun slinger, we may have a few more heart breaking losses ahead, but I'm sure we will never be bored, and we will always be in the game! This kid is still on his way up!

Go Niners!
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Jan 24, 2014 at 5:48 PM ]
Originally posted by teylo31:
We do not run a West Coast offense. Just because Harbaugh says its a West Coast offense doesnt mean it is one. No quick slants and no love for the rb catching passes. I dont remember the West Coast offense lining up on the play with 3 tight ends either

I agree. I have old VHS tapes of the 9ers when Joe and Steve were the qb's. I've never seen a version of that 49er offense since Jeff Garcia was the qb. This is some weird variant of the west coast we know under Walsh-Holmgren-Shanahan. The old west coast offense was like ballet, 3 step drops, 5 step drops etc. Now we have our qb's in shotgun half the time, our offense being dictated by wildcat formations.
Share 49ersWebzone