LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

2013 - NFC Championship Round: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Did Jeff Garcia choke in the NFC Championship game against Tampa Bay? No. Good for him. But why didn't he choke, because we were getting MASSACRED in the game and he never had an OPPORTUNITY to choke.

Did Drew Brees choke against Seattle the week before? No. Good for him. But why not? Because his offense didn't score s**t for 3/4ths of the game, so he didn't have an OPPORTUNITY to choke.

Did Alex Smith choke against the New York Giants at HOME in the NFC championship game? No. Good for him. But why not? Because the offense did NOTHING for 6 consecutive possessions at the end and got nowhere near sniffing an opportunity to score, therefore he also did not have the OPPORTUNITY to choke.

When your quarterback is good, and always gives his team a chance to win, he will either win it (Green Bay, Carolina, Atlanta) or lose it in the end (Seattle, Baltimore). I LOVE the fact that we have a quarterback who actually gives himself a chance to either win a game, or "choke" a game at the end.

Beautifully stated. Great point.
The INTs were horrible thorws.
What stands out is that all of his passes are on a rope, the fade to crab was a bad pass, it should have been layed in front of him over his head, instead it was flat and underthrown.

Kap has a lot to learn, yet he has made significant progress this year.
[ Edited by JeuSF49 on Jan 21, 2014 at 3:55 AM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Did Jeff Garcia choke in the NFC Championship game against Tampa Bay? No. Good for him. But why didn't he choke, because we were getting MASSACRED in the game and he never had an OPPORTUNITY to choke.

Did Drew Brees choke against Seattle the week before? No. Good for him. But why not? Because his offense didn't score s**t for 3/4ths of the game, so he didn't have an OPPORTUNITY to choke.

Did Alex Smith choke against the New York Giants at HOME in the NFC championship game? No. Good for him. But why not? Because the offense did NOTHING for 6 consecutive possessions at the end and got nowhere near sniffing an opportunity to score, therefore he also did not have the OPPORTUNITY to choke.

When your quarterback is good, and always gives his team a chance to win, he will either win it (Green Bay, Carolina, Atlanta) or lose it in the end (Seattle, Baltimore). I LOVE the fact that we have a quarterback who actually gives himself a chance to either win a game, or "choke" a game at the end.

Beautifully stated. Great point.

Good point. The what ifs of the 2011 NFC Championship are quite painful too.

BTW, Garcia was NFC Divisional round......that wildcard against the Giants certainly felt like a divisional game.
My dad who is not a hardcore football watcher game in and game out like all of us but brings a nice outside perspective said to me today:

"Kaepernick still has some way to go before he rivals Montana. He needs to mature some more and take charge of the team. Hopefully by next year he will be closer to achieving his full potential."

Interesting stuff. Most of us cannot see the forest from the trees because we are knee deep into s**t like Greg Roman's AR, CK's progressions, etc.
To dispute the 4 straight wins on the road, please look at the 2010 Green Bay Packers:

- Wild Card @ Philly
- Divisional @ Atlanta
- Championship @ Chicago
- Super Bowl @ Cowboys Stadium (While this may not be considered a road game, it's certainly not a home game.)
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Kaep's biggest asset can also be his Achilles heel. He can make plays with his legs (the 50+ yard run) and passing (the 3rd quarter td to boldin) that nobody else can because he takes a lot of risks out there. For instance, that TD to Boldin could just as easily have been an interception but because he made the throw on the money it worked. That same bravado that allows him to make the spectacular plays is also what can kill him. Simply put, he plays sometimes with too much confidence. Kaepernick will likely tell you he'll make that throw to Crabtree a 1000 times in 1 on 1 coverage because he believes he can make that throw. Perhaps with time he'll improve on the WHEN to make that throw.

We aren't going to win in Seattle doing the same things, it's insanity. Running our power offense against their power defense with a loaded box hasn't worked with regularity in Seattle so why keep jamming a round peg in a square hole? I won't prescribe a solution because I am unqualified to do so, but I know when I see something that is consistently failing.

My biggest concerns moving forward are re-signing the right guys and getting more from our drafts. If we're being honest the last two drafts has yielded Eric Reid and, even for a good team like the 49ers, that's pathetic.

I agree, everyone keeps saying how we are going to re-load with all these drafts but the last 2 drafts with a lot of picks has only produced Eric Reid thus far. We should have taken Reyes over Tank but we'll see what he can do next year. Hopefully Lattimore can stay healthy and can produce to. Blowing that Jenkins pick is going to catch up with us though if it has not already
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Kaep choked, face it. It's his job to get balls to his receivers and not turn it over. Of course he was running well, because he couldn't figure out how to complete a pass. He shouldn't have to run the ball so much. I'm not saying we're going to replace him, as we know good QB's are hard to come by, but the bottom line is he going to have to get smarter between the ears to win the big one. I think he can still be a great one, he needs more time though.

I really don't think not doing something never done in NFL history against the #1 ranked defense in the NFL and possibly one of the best secondaries ever assembled a "choke". If that throw at the end is against just about anyone BUT Richard Sherman we are probably looking at a game in NY in 2 weeks. The other guys get paid to. You make a play. Sometimes the other guy makes a better one.

That's my opinion anyway.

He choked. There was a linebacker underneath and the best corner in the league on Crabtree's hip. 50 seconds on the clock with two timeouts left, he forced a low percentage completion. There were many options, he chose the wrong one, that's a choke.

Agree to disagree. He put the ball where he thought it wouldn't get intercepted. Sherman made a great play to bat the ball to his player. Sometimes the other guy makes a better play.
This may be hard for us to admit but to a man the better team won. There I said it! May the truth set me free lol. They made the big plays required to win a game like that against fairly even teams. Give them credit. The detailed play for play analysis is cool but in simple terms they won the turnover battle, they won in terms of big passing plays, they ran the ball better with Lynch, their special teams contributed with a huge return and they adjusted and contained Kap's scrambling in the 2nd half. All of those things add up to them winning even though we came close we just werent good enough. We are "this" close to being champions but we have to improve in all areas because as we see it doesnt come easy.
Originally posted by Baylor49er:
To dispute the 4 straight wins on the road, please look at the 2010 Green Bay Packers:

- Wild Card @ Philly
- Divisional @ Atlanta
- Championship @ Chicago
- Super Bowl @ Cowboys Stadium (While this may not be considered a road game, it's certainly not a home game.)

The Super Bowl isn't a road game...it's a neutral site. Neither team has a homefield advantage. No team has ever won 4 straight road games.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I think the biggest take away is that Kap now has the confidence to go into Seattle and win. 12th man is just an urban legend.

*Speculation* It wasn't as loud as the last 2 years in the regular season. Season ticket holders seeing a pay day?
OK...I just had to post this because it's so funny to me. I posted a "Gratz" message over on seahawks.net. I'm not happy the Niners lost, but I wanted to be gracious and those guys who have been waiting a long, long time for a Championship. I can't stand Richard Sherman, but I don't really hate the Seahawks. They are a rival for sure, but I respect them as a mirror image of the niners. A guy over there came over here and saw my comments on Sherman and has gone full retard.

He's PMing me so I decided I'd repost the conversation here. Its pretty funny. The subject line of his post is "You're a fraud". The funniest part is that he acts like its some big secret that I post on both sites. I've gone to such extreme measures to hide it too with me always talking about the 'zone over there and you know, having the exact same sreen name. LOL.

Sent: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:18 pmView message
Dawgs0Message subject: You are a fraud.
Folder: Inbox
You act like a respectable poster on this site and trash the Seahawks on 49erswebzone. You are a fraud. You mad bro? HAHAHAHA. Sherman made your team his b***h. He was the best player on the field yesterday and the best defensive player in the league this year. Whatever ignorant stuff you say, doesn't change that. Go f**k yourself.Continue to be jealous of the Seahawks. The 49ers could only dream of having the Seahawks present and future. LOL.

Sent: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:35 pmView message
Marvin49Message subject: Re: You are a fraud.
Folder: Sent messages
How am I a fraud? I genuinely congratulated the Hawks on their win. I also HATE Richard Sherman. Im free to hold that opinion. It doesn't make me a fraud. It's not like it's a secret I post on both sites. Lol. I didn't have to congratulate you guys at all. I suggest you get a thicker skin.

Sent: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:52 pmView message
The funny part is you probably read my Sherman post and completely missed the post about how I didn't think the Bowman incident was indicative of the fan base and DEFENDED posters on this site. Sigh. Maybe I was wrong. Lol.

Sent: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:09 pmView message
Dawgs0Message subject: Re: You are a fraud.
I'm not the one TRASHING and HATING people I don't know. I reserve HATE for people like the Taliban and Al Qaeda and rapists and murderers. How do you explain hating a football player? Are your priorities that out of whack? What has he done to you? You are complete scum. The worst of the worst. Worse than the Seahawks fans that threw food at Bowman, who are also scum. You are probably one of the worst human beings I have seen as a sports fan in my life. I hope you don't stab people, like your fellow 49ers fans. Sickening attitude that you have. Shame on you. Richard Sherman is a brilliant football player, that you should respect. He dominated your team. Is that why you hate him? LOL. You are a completely sore loser. Continue to be jealous of Richard Sherman and the Seattle Seahawks. You wish you could have his successful life, while you live in your mother's basement. LOL. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Sent: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:02 pmView message
You're a fraud, because your congratulations are not sincere. You don't mean or believe them and you know that. Everything that you post on this site is b******t. Especially, when everything you post on webzone is the complete opposite of what you post here. And you act like we (and our mods) don't see it. LOL. I would respect you more, if you spoke your true beliefs on this site, like many of your peers. The 49ers fans that come on this site and trash the Seahawks are more respectable, because that's who they are. They aren't changing who they are on every site they visit, like you. You remind me of the kids in high school, who would say different things to different people to fit in different social groups. You are essentially behaving like a teenager. SMH. If you stated how jealous and hateful you are of the Seahawks, like you show on webzone, it would be true and nobody would lose respect for you for it. Posting that you respect the Seahawks on this site and trashing the Seahawks (Seahawks players) on webzone makes you a fraud. Hating Sherman doesn't make you a fraud. Hiding that belief on this site like a p***y and posting it on webzone makes you a fraud. Frauds act like something to some people and differently to others. That's what you do. You can't stick to one story. You are constantly making up b******t and defending b******t. You are a laughable poster. SMH. Just sad, man. LOL.Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh.

Sent: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:52 amView message
Dude...are you unhnged or something?I posted EXACTLY what I thought of Sherman after the week 2 win. I was congratulating you guys then as well and it didn't go well.Why do that again? It completely sidetracks the conversation. All I wanted to do was congratulate you guys (something I'm really starting to regret).After all the BS you guys say on this site about Kap and Harbaugh you are getting all bent out of shape about a comment I made about Sherman ON ANOTHER SITE!?! Seriously? Do you act exactly the same way at your house as you do at someone elses house? There are several other posters who are Seahawk fans that post over on the Webzone as well and they watch what they say over there as well. Why? Its prudent. If you don't, your message gets lost in this kind of BS.For the record. I said Sherman was a good player. I just can't stand his attitude. YOU are the one who have now called me scum, the worst of the worst, and the worst person you've ever seen (seriously? Get out more).The funniest part of all of this is that you think you've "unearthed" some secret. I openly talk about the webzone, I use the same screen name, I talk to a few Hawk fans on THIS SITE about what I post over there, and I make a post about my thoughts after a game EVERY SINGLE WEEK.Dude...If I'm a fraud, I'm the worst fraud in the history of frauds. LOL.

Sent: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:12 amView message
So now you are calling me unhinged? SMH. Won't stop with the name calling? And you ask why you are called an immoral human being, when you continue to act this way? BTW, I don't speak behind people's backs if that's what you mean. That's not how I was raised. If I have something to tell the person at their house, I'll tell them, instead of acting like a p***y and running back to my house (message board) to trash the person. That's immoral. Maybe that's how you were raised and why you lack the distinction between what to truly HATE and NOT. You are an immoral individual. You stated you HATED Sherman. How can you hate someone you don't know? You've never met? I hate evil people. People who commit atrocities. Are you so ignorant to believe that Sherman deserves hate? That's why I called you scum. Somebody who is this ignorant, either has some issues in their head or is scum. How is your message lost? Your message is to trash the Seahawks and the Seahawks' players. How is that lost? That's why you are a fraud. If you are going to trash the Seahawks, why not just trash them here, instead of acting like we can't see your posts on Webzone. Do you think you are making friends when you do that? Obviously it didn't go well, but at least you posted your REAL thoughts, instead of some pussified post, that makes you look like a fraud. We all know what you really believe. Whether you post it here or on a San Fran message board, we can all see it. Why not just post what you believe? And what is the BS about Kaep and Harbaugh? Any more BS, than your posts hating on Sherman and the Seahawks on Webzone? Just laughable, man.This is why you are a complete fraud. Like I said, I have more respect for your peers, who talk trash and post what they believe, because at least they don't hide their intentions. That's what you do. You hide your true intentions on this site and trash the Seahawks on Webzone. You are a bigger troll and fraud, than any of your 49er brethren. SMH. Sigh. I feel for you. P.S. Must be sad to live a double life. I presume that is how you live your real life, from what you have said about saying and doing different things in someone else's house, than your own.

Folder: Outbox
Dude. I'M calling names!?! Thats rich. You just called me "scum". "Worst of the worst". "Worst person you've ever seen".For the record, I wasn't badmouthing the Seahawks. I was badmouthing RICHARD SHERMAN who I do not like and have zero respect for. Quite simple. I'm entitled to that opinion. I also did so on ANOTHER SITE.When did I act like you couldn't see my posts over there? LOL. Thats the most illogical part of your entire argument. I don't say that stuff here because it doesn't move the conversation forward. It goes nowhere. Its pointless. I've done so before and the conversation degraded into something other than I had intended so i realized posting about Sherman on this board was useless.THAT makes me a fraud? Seriously? I consider it more being polite. I'm a guest here.If being polite offends you then I suggest putting me on ignore.

Excellent post Marvin and a BIG THANKS for all you input all season long!

Here's my 2 cents.

1). Kap played his heart out. He did very good. He still has a ways to go. He has a big-time work ethic and I'm sure he'll be hard at work soon. Hopefully, he works on 2-3rd read, a soft touch instead of muscle building. Like Joe Montana said, he needs to become a better pocket passer and to that end he needs a mentor/QB coach that can help him accomplish that.

2). The offense lost the game - Period! Not the D and not the ST.

The D has saved our bacon all season. Could you imagine what a Powerhouse we'd be if our offense was better. Every unit gives up a play ere and ther but the offense all season long has been the weak link.

Wasn't it the same play to Crabs that was called against the Ravens that didn't work in the last Super Bowl?

JH is WAYYYYYYYYY over-rated as an offensive mind. The plays go through him and it's not all on Roman.

3). Looks like w/the help of the Saints recommendation of the ear buds we may have found a way to reduced the power of the 12th man.

4).
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Just got back from Los Angeles and have had a 6 hour drive to think about the game. Haven't rewatched yet (may wait at least a few weeks).

1) Kap: OK...let me start by saying anyone who wants to replace Kap as the QB needs to stop sniffing glue. I haven't even read anything on this site yet but I KNOW you guys have probably already been out in force.

First off, Kap was the only person who did ANYTHING in the game on offense. The plays he made with his legs and arm were the only reason they were in the game at the end. Then Seahawks completely eliminated the run game. Gore could do nothing. Boldin dropped two passes. Lets also not forget that the Seahawks are the best pass D in the NFL for a REASON. Did Colin play perfectly? Of course not. Still a young player in the most hostile environment in the NFL and still was one throw away from winning his FOURTH consecutive road game and FOURTH road playoff game.

I'd like to highlight that last part in particular. No team has EVER won 4 straight games on the road. Ever. No team has won back to back Conference Championship games on the road. Anyone ready to throw the towel in on Kap need to remove their cranium from their rectum. Kap is going to be here for a long time so you had better get used to it.

Some of my favorite quotes I've seen on PFT say stuff like "Great Athlete but Niners will never win a Championship with Kaepernick". That comment makes me laugh. It shows very little understanding of 49er history. I remember another player who was tagged with the exact same line...athletic, great runner, best RB on the team, too undisciplined, they will never win a Championship with him.

His name was Steve Young.

2) Richard Sherman: Undoubtedly the biggest pr*ck in the NFL. I've been on a few sites that are actually defending him, saying Crabtree tried to "start a fight" with him, etc, etc. Ya know what? That dude isn't just an a$$hat, he's also a boldfaced liar. I don't believe a single word that comes after his mouth. I remember his "account" of how he congratulated Harbaugh after the week 2 game and how the video showed that he comp[lately made up what happened. He never game Harbaugh the chance to respond before he ran away. It pretty much puts a slant on every single thing I hear from him. Crab said earlier in the week that he didn't think Sherman was the best and that he didn't pay attention to particular players...just teams. THAT was what Dick Sherman responded to. Seriously? THAT comment is the reason you make yourself look like a moron on National TV? The sad part is that the guy is good. REALLY good. He's smart. He's dedicated to his craft. If he would shut his mouth he'd actually get the respect he claims he never gets. I might actually have rooted for the Seahawks 2 sundays from now but I can't bring myself to root for that piece of trash. What absolutely BLOWS ME AWAY is how all I read from Seahawks fans is how big a douche Harbaugh and Kaepernick are. They b***h and complain about how those two don't respect them. They see NO ISSUE with Shermans antics. Unbelievable hypocritical.

Go Broncos.

3) Bowman: Ultimate adding injury to insult. I'm bothered by the game, but I'm crushed because of that injury. I hope he can make it back, but I don't want them to rush him. I want him back as close to 100% as possible. The fact that he hung onto the ball...OMG. That's just nuts. The fact that the refs missed it...no comment.

4) Aldon: Dude is a straight pass rushing monster. Really only participated greatly in 12 games this season (missed 5 and was limted in 2 more) and still amassed 12 sacks. Even when double and triple teamed, he can't be contained forever.

5) Seattle fans: As disgusted as I am at Sherman and by the fan who threw popcorn at Bowman as he exited the field, I honestly don't think that behavior is indicative of most of that fanbase. I was on Seahawks.net last night and I was seeing a level of respect for the 49ers that I hadn't seen before and peeps upset about the popcorn incident and wishing the best for Bowman and Iupati. Just want to keep it in perspective. One idiot fan does not an entire fanbase make. If we hold them all responsible for that then we are all no better than Niner fans who stab opposing fans the Candlestick parking lot. Just sayin'.

6) Crab/Boldin/WRs: Really looking forward to getting him next year with a full offseason to recover. He has played far better than I ever could have expected, but there is no way he was 100% this year. Really hoping they can resign Boldin for a reasonable price. I think that his issue last year with Baltimore and not wanting to take a pay cut had more to do with wanting Baltimore to honor their contract than wanting the payday. We'll see because thing are going to get tight. I would expect the Niners to draft another WR and see Crab/Boldin/Patton/Draft Pick as the teams WRs next year.

7) Secondary: My guess is that both Donte Whitner, Terrell Brown, and Carlos Rogers have put on the red and gold for the last time. Rogers doesn't concern me. Cully is back. Brock will start....but they will have to select a CB fairly high and probably sign a few cheap free agents to compete. I was never a fan of Whitner...until this year. Replacing him is my biggest concern on D. I just don't see how they sign him AND keep everyone else.

The good news is that Baalke has shown an ability to go find guys who were highly ranked coming out of college and have been a "bust" with the teams that selected them and then allowing them to succeed with this coaching staff (See Whitner, Donte: Rogers, Carlos: Dorsey, Glenn). He'll need to do it again in a few positions on the team.

8) Contracts: Now stuff starts to get expensive. My guess is Kap and Aldon get redone in the offseason and Crab and Iupati play out their contracts. Given the choiceof the two, I'd say resign Crab...but I'm not sure it will be possible.

9) Championship Window: This all leads me to my biggest concern. The Niners are in danger of having their Championship window expire. Gore is not getting any younger. Neither is Justin Smith. I can't wait to see Lattimore or Carradine, but we won't know till those guys can play. The 49ers of the past were able to restock their rosters and keep that window open for an incredibly long time. We'll just have to see if Baalke can do the same now that those rookie deals are expiring. Having 6 picks in the first 3 rounds helps. Having a new stadium and a team that has been in the NFC Championship 3 years running helps attract free agents. This should be an interesting offseason.

10) Refs: The refs were bad. Niners got hosed on a few calls. Ya know what tho? I spent weeks being pissed off after the Super Bowl. I don't want to do it again. Some of the missed calls didn't make a difference anyway. Some might have made a difference, but the reality is that we'll never know and getting pissed about it won't change it. Nobody is going to remember that a drive should have been extended by a roughing the kicker call. Nobody cares and will only site some call that went against them 2 years earlier. No point to it.

OK, when's the draft? Looking forward to watching a bit of a retool this offseason.

1) Always good to read a balanced view, it's been the usual posse looking to hang our QB on the boards. yes his 2nd interception lost us the game, but as I've said on a couple of threads only Kap and Boldin showed up to play though I think Frank was hampered by our Oline. It's sad that with one 17 yard reception he had more yards than on 11 carries....

Even with that 2nd interception from Kap, I have trouble assigning the whole blame to him. As they move up to the ball he's looking at Harbaugh on the timelines asking for a time out and HArbs gives him the sign for hurry up offense, he gets the play call designed to give 1v1 for Crabs on a fade and throws it. I think that's a TD if it was any other CB in the league asides from Sherman - I can't see Revis getting that high to tip it. Unfortunately just a great play from the defender, it happens.

2) Sherman made a great play but just branded himself as an a*****e, about time everyone saw it.

3) Just hope he recovers, nothing more to say sadly beyond watching one of the best 2 linebackers in the game sacrifice his body to try and get a win for the team. True sporting hero stuff, he deserves to come back to the same peak.

4) Aldon is unplayable 1v1 at the moment. I think Justin might have dropped off slgihtly as he's only seeing single man but he's still wreaking havoc. Aldon has also shown that he's a complete OLB and can drop into coverage. Best OLB in the game at the moment.

5) Can't get too excited by the actions of one idiotic Seahawk fan. I think there was more relief in that stadium than belief.

6) I have concerns about our WR core but only in the sense that we need to add a serious deep threat. Crabs and boldin are not fast enoguh to blow by someone, Patton looks quick and smooth in his routes but not a deep burner. We have to address this in the draft.

7) Secondary, I agree with ou and I think we need to rebuild with younger, taller and faster guys similar to Seattle's secondary. Easier said than done mind you, but I've seen too many mental lapses from Rogers and Whitner over the last couple of years to trust them fully and I think their contracts are ultimately what will force them out.

8) Have to agree, Iupati
Originally posted by SoCold:

Sigh.

Dude. Its called PROGRESSION passing. If you think the first read is there, you take it. You don't scan the entire field looking for an open guy. That isn't the way it works in anything but flag football at the park. Patton was probably 3rd or 4th in the progression so he isn't going to get the ball unless the QB has determined that the previous reads weren't there.

Kap had a 1 on 1 with no safety. He put the ball where he thought only the WR could get it and Sherman simply made a great play on the ball. The thought making that throw is that it's highly unlikely it gets picked because of the placement of the ball. Sherman made the play and then got lucky that the LB was trailing the play.

Sometimes, the other guys just make a better play than you did.
Share 49ersWebzone