LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

2013 - NFC Championship Round: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
should have did the 1998 farve to freeman td before the catch 2...when darnel walker jumped the slant then freeman wheeled the fade.
the nfl hates us. why do we consistently get the s**ttiest refs in the biggest games? that bowman fumble recovery, carlos rogers "push" outside, roughing the punter all could have changed the game big time. kap f**ked up at the end too but those plays could have changed the whole course of the game had they been called fairly.
Wait, wasn't Boldin well covered by Thomas for his TD catch? But that's ok because it was a TD right?
[ Edited by Wisconsin49erfan on Jan 21, 2014 at 5:05 PM ]
Originally posted by maltz88:
He's paying the price now.

He's not paying any price. He's getting exactly what he wants, and Seattle fans are eating it up. What part of that is confusing for you? I generally agree with (or don't care about) the rest of your post.
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
Wait, wasn't Boldin well covered by Thomas for his TD catch? But that's ok because it was a TD right?

that was a bad decision that Kap got lucky on.
Originally posted by maltz88:
Hola 49er fans. I haven't been on here for a couple months, but wanted to stop by throw out some of my thoughts, etc. etc.

I had a chance to read through Sundays game thread, wanted to get the gist of how the feel was from your perspective through the game. It always makes for interesting reading.

The thoughts of a Seahawk fan (in no particular order):

1) Century Link. I had a chance to rewatch the game, watch some of the particulars and hear some of the commentary. One that caught my attention was the statement from the sideline reporter that it really wasn't as loud as they had expected it to be in there. I have to say, I don't know what they heck they were talking about. I've missed maybe 3-4 games since 97' and that game is the new gold standard for atmosphere. The loudest I'd heard in that stadium before was in the NFC Championship in 05', and Sunday was much louder. My ears were stopped ringing this morning. That actually rivaled the noise level that there used to be in the Kingdome in the mid 80's, which was ridiculous. It never really quieted down either. My eventual point is that I thought SF handled it remarkably well. I think only the one delay could have been attributed to the noise. Which surprises me, as I've pretty much watched the wheels fall of for SF on the last 2 games with delays, burning timeouts, and false starts. Whatever they did worked very well. Which kind of sucked to see, but well done by San Fran on getting things dialed.

2) Tough to not get into a lot of the X's & O's of the game. So, I'll just leave this with, I thought it was a really good game. These teams are a lot of fun to watch go at it. I know you guys generally hate Pete Carroll, but he is a tremendous coach that somehow manages to get 100% out of his players all the time, and he has proven to be one of the best defensive minds in football. I know we, and myself included, hate Jim Harbaugh and think he's a douche, but he is a fantastic coach as well. It's just cool to be able to watch these two and their teams continue to go at it.

3) The officiating. I left the stadium thinking that it was a well officiated game. While watching the game live, I thought the late hit on Baldwin (I think) going out of bounds was ticky tack. I though the running into the kicker was the correct call. But overall thought they let the teams play for the most part, and called it very fair. I couldn't even see Bowman take the ball from Kearse on the goal line, so didn't question it at all. But after rewatching that was a HORRIBLE call. I don't know how they could miss the ball in Bowmans arm. This is one of those that I'm very happy the sequence of events worked out as it did and SF got the ball back on the next play anyway. Rewatching the running in to the kicker, I still thought that was the correct call, until I heard the announcers clarify the plant leg vs. kicking leg. Overall after rewatching the game, I think the officiating sucked, and SF was deffinitely on the wrong end of it. I'm obviously biased, and it is impossible to say with the whole butterfly effect thing, but I don't think the calls necessarily had a true effect on the outcome of the game though.

4) Bowman's injury sucked to watch. Awful to watch these guys that are killing themselves for their team leave on a cart in the biggest game of the year. I was happy to see that neither Iupati or Bowmans injuries could be viewed as anything maliscious. I know there's quite a few that think Seattle is intentionally gunning to injure 49ers, but that didn't appear to be the case with either. Hopefully they can bounce back in time for next season.

5) The fans (both teams fans). I can't really think of more classless thing a fan could do than to throw stuff at an injured player leaving the field on a cart. I guess it were something more substative like perhaps a burrito. That might be worse than popcorn. Or a slushy i/e Wierd Science. I've tried coming up with some scenarios of the fan, maybe leaning over the railing to look, and the popcorn happens to fall out of their bag while they're looking.......but that's obviously a reach. I think it was truely an act of a classless piece of crap that there really isn't an excuse for. I know most of you already have your opinions of Seattle fans, etc. but hopefully you don't just lump all of us together as classless because of the acts of a few. That being said, I was surprised at the number of 49er fans there. Well represented. There were a few in my section, that I and a lot of other fans chatted with. No smack talking, everything was civil. After the game I saw a handful of 49er fans walking around flipping people off and starting crap. Also saw Seattle fans talking crap to some 49er fans. But overall, things were very civil.

6) Sherman. I think he's like Pete Carroll. If he's not on your team, and you don't follow him daily, you don't get to "know" him. I REALLY didn't care for his blowup after the game. He's paying the price now. He's an interesting guy though. I think the tendancy is for other teams fans to hear him talk like that and write him off as a classless thug. I can't think of a player that I've ever watched that is like him. He talks a lot about being the best corner in the NFL, and how he was slighted by not getting drafted until the 5th round. etc. But that's not unique to him. What is unique to him is him specifically calling out players. Not a lot of players do that. What is also kind of unique is he doesn't do it carte blanc. He did it with Crabtree, he did it with Julio Jones, and with Tom Brady. There have been a couple more, but not a lot. He often goes out of his way to praise other players after playing them as well. That's why I think the guy is an enigma. Usually it seems players are smack talkers about everyone, or they just read from the script. Sherman seems to have a handful of guys that he really HATES, and can't keep his mouth shut around them, but then says all the right things about others. I do think it's a bit unfair to stick a microphone in a players face seconds after they make the biggest play, on the biggest stage, in the biggest moment of their life and as for the uncut version of things. They have a different mentality on the field and I think it shows through in that situation. That being said, I'm a believer in the school of winning and losing with grace and let your play speak for itself. Sherman doesn't. And I'd be really surprised if many outside of Seattle are willing to overlook the mouth.

Anyway, just wanted to spout off some thoughts. It has been a fun season. And despite the resistance that for whatever reason a lot of you show to calling this a "rivalry," I'd imagine it's probably a full blown rivalry now. Here's looking to at least a couple more years of some epic games, and lord willing some epic playoff battles.

Maltz out.

Nice post. Thanks for keeping it civil.

1) Watching the game on TV. It did seem like the noise wasn't as intense as before. Maybe that was just what the broadcast was picking up. You were there, so you would know. It definitely looked electric.

2) Agreed. Tremendous game. Two fantastic teams and coaches.

3) The officiating was god awful, and most of the mistakes went against us, but you are correct in saying that it didn't cost us the game. Turnovers did.

4) Nothing malicious about the injuries. Just s**t luck.

5) Not going to lump an entire fanbase as classless because of a few a-holes. Every fan base has them. I just hope action was taken to kick those guys out of the building and make sure they never come back. Absolutely no excuse for that.

6) Fair point that if he's not on your team, you don't really "know" him. We say the same thing all the time about Kap and Harbaugh. But Sherman is a different type of personality all together. If that is the image he wants to portray, so be it. He just needs to stop whining about how people don't like him. His antics make him out to be villain. He wants to be hated, so when he wins, he can throw it back in people's faces.

I just don't understand that mindset. I miss the days when people were humble in victory, gracious in defeat. Now it's all about showing up your opponent and gloating about your superiority. Maybe I'm a traditionalist, I just don't see how anyone can stick up for his behavior.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 21, 2014 at 5:24 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Thanks Marv, good write up.

f**king so damn close again. Three f**king years in a row. I need a break from this s**t but i am addicted.

This so much! I was so sick to my stomach all day long Monday. Go 49ers!
Originally posted by thl408:
Because it's fun to take off the band aid and look at open wounds.

The play wasn't as simple as snap the ball and throw it up to Crabs. Kap still had to make sure that Thomas (blue circle) would not provide over the top help for Sherman.

Kap's first key is the FS Thomas. Thomas does not go over to help Sherman. So far, it's a go for this pass.

Kap now directs his sight to Crabs vs Sherman, knowing it's 1 on 1 with no safety help.

This is the moment in time Kap decides to pull the trigger. Sherman is not only even with Crabs, he's over the top of Crabs, using body position to prevent an inside breaking route. Notice Sherman is further upfield than Crabs is.

Deciding to throw a pass is more than just "my #1 WR is one on one, do it". Kap must consider the matchup as well as how the CB is aligned with the WR. If Sherman was in a trailing position, go for it. Sherman is not in a trailing position. Asking Crabs to beat one of the best CBs in the league, who happens to be 6'3" is a tough task any way you slice it. I hated the pass then and I hate it more now after seeing that Sherman was not in a trail position. A QB always has the option of moving off of his pre-snap read if he doesn't like what he sees. Kap should not have liked what he saw here.

Easy for me to say now that I know the result. But even if it went for a TD, I'm marveling at the balls it took to throw this pass and I would recognize what a risk it was to try it.

After seeing the snapshots, this would have been a tough throw to make any way you slice it, but I would almost rather it go back shoulder on a rope like the one earlier in the game that Boldin dropped. I dont think Sherman would have been able to adjust and make the play to cause an INT there if that were the case.

I still would rather him opt to check down to a different read, but you could tell he was rushing the throw because Avril was closing in. I think Sherman will get all of the credit on this play, but Avril is pushing AD right into his face as he is taking his hitch step. I think that is the biggest factor on such a terrible decision to throw.

Man, I wish they would have called a timeout and talked about a plan of attack!
  • ace52
  • Veteran
I think Kap should have rolled out to his left to escape the pressure from Avril, and thrown the ball to Patton. This guy is very shifty with some space to work, and could have gotten the ball down to the 10 (or even scored a TD). Then, JH could have called a timeout. With the ball at the 10-yard line and maybe about 20 seconds to go, there would have been better options to score.
Originally posted by ace52:
I think Kap should have rolled out to his left to escape the pressure from Avril, and thrown the ball to Patton. This guy is very shifty with some space to work, and could have gotten the ball down to the 10 (or even scored a TD). Then, JH could have called a timeout. With the ball at the 10-yard line and maybe about 20 seconds to go, there would have been better options to score.

His primary read is Crabtree with single-coverage. Even if he makes the read, and decides to roll left, I think Avril gets to him and probably causes a fumble when Kap brings his arm back. Anthony Davis got abused. This ball should have been thrown away.
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Jan 21, 2014 at 6:01 PM ]

I am happy with the throw. It was balsy and showed confidence. There are a ton of younger QB's in the NFL who lack confidence and luckily kap doesnt. Confidence, even if it costs you, is huge.

It was basically our best vs your best. Sherman won the battle. Whatever it happens. Sure we can look back and say "oh patton was open" "oh call a timeout." Dude made a gut check move and failed. If that ball is a tad higher its a TD.

The chancellor INT was horrible.

But I refuse to sit here and blame Kap when he is going to be sick. Hes young. We have good players locked up everywhere, and if we let Iupati walk and restructure gore we should be able to fit Kap, Aldon, and Crabs under the cap.

FUTURE IS BRIGHT!
  • ace52
  • Veteran
The difference between this down and the strip-sack earlier is Kap could see Avril coming in this case. With him being aware of the defender closing in, I don't think he would have been strip-sacked again. He would have put enough distance between himself and Avril before attempting the throw , IMO.
Originally posted by ace52:
The difference between this down and the strip-sack earlier is Kap could see Avril coming in this case. With him being aware of the defender closing in, I don't think he would have been strip-sacked again. He would have put enough distance between himself and Avril before attempting the throw , IMO.

It looks like it from the pictures, but if you watch the actual replay, Avril is on him as soon as he hits his back foot. It's literally 2.5 seconds if you count it.

I really think he needed to throw it away in this case. THL posted the GIF in another thread.
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Jan 21, 2014 at 6:10 PM ]
Originally posted by jeffjtk123:
I am happy with the throw. It was balsy and showed confidence. There are a ton of younger QB's in the NFL who lack confidence and luckily kap doesnt. Confidence, even if it costs you, is huge.

It was basically our best vs your best. Sherman won the battle. Whatever it happens. Sure we can look back and say "oh patton was open" "oh call a timeout." Dude made a gut check move and failed. If that ball is a tad higher its a TD.

The chancellor INT was horrible.

But I refuse to sit here and blame Kap when he is going to be sick. Hes young. We have good players locked up everywhere, and if we let Iupati walk and restructure gore we should be able to fit Kap, Aldon, and Crabs under the cap.

FUTURE IS BRIGHT!

Love the optimism dude. Kap is a baller and he will be better. He made some plays that were mind-blowing.

I can't say I'm happy with the throw, or the decision. It's great to have confidence, so long as it doesn't blind your judgement. Kap failed to recognize the matchup and that Sherman was in perfect defensive position. That's the time to be smart and live to fight another down.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 21, 2014 at 6:10 PM ]
Here is the link that has the GIF. Davis had no chance here .

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/168162-greg-roman-really-good/page216/
Share 49ersWebzone