LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

2013 - NFC Championship Round: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hasnt been mentioned much but we did ourselves a disservice in the overall route structure of the play. There was nobody for the LB Smith to be concerned with in his zone so he ran towards Crabtree. A receiver to occupy him at least means the pass falls incomplete.
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
A throw to Patton would have not gotten more than 5 yards, if it was completed and he moved forward instead of going out of bounds. The defensive player was already handing off Davis and was starting to run directly towards Patton before the ball was thrown. If Kaep had thrown in that direction the defender would have gotten there about the same time as the ball.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rdc1:
A throw to Patton would have not gotten more than 5 yards, if it was completed and he moved forward instead of going out of bounds. The defensive player was already handing off Davis and was starting to run directly towards Patton before the ball was thrown. If Kaep had thrown in that direction the defender would have gotten there about the same time as the ball.

And it would have been 2nd and 9 at worse instead of game over
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hubbyt:
Hasnt been mentioned much but we did ourselves a disservice in the overall route structure of the play. There was nobody for the LB Smith to be concerned with in his zone so he ran towards Crabtree. A receiver to occupy him at least means the pass falls incomplete.

He left Hunter open. Hunter could have got 5 to 10 yards if given the chance to make a play on a check down.
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by rdc1:

And it would have been 2nd and 9 at worse instead of game over

How much success has the 49ers had scoring TD's against the SeaHawks or for that matter anyone inside the 20. They have done better from 20-30 than from 5-20. He had a shot that he thought would be successful and he took it. Unfortunately it came up about 6 inches short. Just as the earlier TD to Boldin would have failed if it was 1 inch lower.
[ Edited by rdc1 on Jan 21, 2014 at 3:43 PM ]
Originally posted by Kali49er:
What irks me the most is while Kap was a huge reason why we were even in the game, he did the same exact thing he did last year in the superbowl that cost us yet another loss. He is supposed to be learning from his mistakes and not repeat them year after year when the important games are on the line. Hopefully he will recognize and realize his stubbornness to force balls to Crabtree when the game is on the line isn't how you get a championship after his performance Sunday. Also, I know I'm going to get a lot of heat for saying this, but gore didn't do much in the playoffs. It's obvious his body was wearing down by the end of the season and I think its time to pass the torch to somebody else. Keep him (he deserves a ring) if we can keep boldin as well but he should no longer be the workhorse, we need to start giving someone else more significant carries not only to help them develop more, but because I honestly think if they touch the ball more or as much as gore, we will see better production. That said, I am fully expecting the hailstorm of "you're crazy!" and "hell no!" among other things coming my way for bringing that up.

Your whole assessment of Kap on that last throw fails.
Originally posted by 76Razor:
Safest throw is to Patton. Live to play another down.

You guys talk like a QB can look at all players o the field simultaneously. It doesn't matter that Patton was open because he was very likely the 4th option on the route.

I don't know how many times I can explain this.

Pre-snap Kap knew it was one on one with Crab with NO SAFETY HELP. He knew that was the ball he was going to throw and even Harbaugh said today that Kap made the correct call. The idea of the play is that Crab makes a doubel move. Kap throws the ball just as Crab is making the move.

The idea of the play is that it's a shot at the endzone because they had a favorable look. If the ball isn't caught for a TD an INT is unlikely because there is so little space left in the endzone.

Sherman made a great play. It's as simple as that. If that is just about any other corner we are getting ready for the SB in New York and talking about how the injuries to Bowman, Iupati, Gore, and Staley would change the game.

Sometimes good players make really good plays. I hate the guy too, but it was an outstanding defensive play that he made. Give the guy some credit.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 21, 2014 at 3:56 PM ]

This isn't Madden. Kaepernick can't see the entire field at one time. He had Crabtree one-on-one with Sherman without safety help over the top. He made the correct read and made the throw.

You can't look at a bird's-eye view of the field and claim that Kaepernick missed a wide-open Patton. That's not how progressions work.
Originally posted by theduke85:

This isn't Madden. Kaepernick can't see the entire field at one time. He had Crabtree one-on-one with Sherman without safety help over the top. He made the correct read and made the throw.

You can't look at a bird's-eye view of the field and claim that Kaepernick missed a wide-open Patton. That's not how progressions work.

This.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

You guys talk like a QB can look at all players o the field simultaneously. It doesn't matter that Patton was open because he was very likely the 4th option on the route.

Pre-snap Kap knew it was one on one with Crab with NO SAFETY HELP. He knew that was the ball he was going to throw and even Harbaugh said today that Kap made the correct call. The idea of the play is that Crab makes a doubel move. Kap throws the ball just as Crab is making the move.

The idea of the play is that it's a shot at the endzone because they had a favorable look. If the ball isn't caught for a TD an INT is unlikely because there is so little space left in the endzone.

Sherman made a great play. It's as simple as that. If that is just about any other corner we are getting ready for the SB in New York and talking about how the injuries to Bowman, Iupati, Gore, and Staley would change the game.

Sometimes good players make really good plays. I hate the guy too, but it was an outstanding defensive play that he made. Give the guy some credit.

Again, you're talking about a pre-snap read. You still have to make another read before you launch it. Crabs was well covered and wasn't beating his guy. It warrented at least a look to the other side of the field...or up closer for a dump off..or even to take off for 5 yards if nothing else.

You say he was supposed to throw that no matter what because of the pre-snap, then you are suggesting that he throw it even if Crabs slipped? Of course not.

Originally posted by Furlow:

All of this "pre-snap read" BS is getting annoying. Just because you read something pre-snap, doesn't mean it can't change once the ball is snapped. If Crabtree didn't get off the press, would Kaep have thrown it anyway? What if he fell down at the line of scrimmage?He didn't have a long time to make up his mind, but he didn't HAVE TO throw it to Crabtree.I'm far more concerned though, that Harbaugh didn't call a timeout and let everyone calm down. Or that Crabtree didn't go out of bounds so that we could huddle up and call a better play.

Originally posted by Marvin49:

Well fix it for next time, we wanna win!

no seriously, i didn't really wanna hear the truth. my comment is more of a WANT than a complaint.
[ Edited by 76Razor on Jan 21, 2014 at 4:30 PM ]
i'll take kap over wilson any day
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by iluvdemniners:

I have said this since Day One: RUSSELL WILSON IS A JEFF BLAKE CLONE WITH BETTER SCRAMBLING ABILITY
Originally posted by SaksV:
Originally posted by iluvdemniners:

I have said this since Day One: RUSSELL WILSON IS A JEFF BLAKE CLONE WITH BETTER SCRAMBLING ABILITY

The preceding comments were brought to you by Left Field. Just when you weren't looking here we come.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Jan 21, 2014 at 4:48 PM ]
Hola 49er fans. I haven't been on here for a couple months, but wanted to stop by throw out some of my thoughts, etc. etc.

I had a chance to read through Sundays game thread, wanted to get the gist of how the feel was from your perspective through the game. It always makes for interesting reading.

The thoughts of a Seahawk fan (in no particular order):

1) Century Link. I had a chance to rewatch the game, watch some of the particulars and hear some of the commentary. One that caught my attention was the statement from the sideline reporter that it really wasn't as loud as they had expected it to be in there. I have to say, I don't know what they heck they were talking about. I've missed maybe 3-4 games since 97' and that game is the new gold standard for atmosphere. The loudest I'd heard in that stadium before was in the NFC Championship in 05', and Sunday was much louder. My ears were stopped ringing this morning. That actually rivaled the noise level that there used to be in the Kingdome in the mid 80's, which was ridiculous. It never really quieted down either. My eventual point is that I thought SF handled it remarkably well. I think only the one delay could have been attributed to the noise. Which surprises me, as I've pretty much watched the wheels fall of for SF on the last 2 games with delays, burning timeouts, and false starts. Whatever they did worked very well. Which kind of sucked to see, but well done by San Fran on getting things dialed.

2) Tough to not get into a lot of the X's & O's of the game. So, I'll just leave this with, I thought it was a really good game. These teams are a lot of fun to watch go at it. I know you guys generally hate Pete Carroll, but he is a tremendous coach that somehow manages to get 100% out of his players all the time, and he has proven to be one of the best defensive minds in football. I know we, and myself included, hate Jim Harbaugh and think he's a douche, but he is a fantastic coach as well. It's just cool to be able to watch these two and their teams continue to go at it.

3) The officiating. I left the stadium thinking that it was a well officiated game. While watching the game live, I thought the late hit on Baldwin (I think) going out of bounds was ticky tack. I though the running into the kicker was the correct call. But overall thought they let the teams play for the most part, and called it very fair. I couldn't even see Bowman take the ball from Kearse on the goal line, so didn't question it at all. But after rewatching that was a HORRIBLE call. I don't know how they could miss the ball in Bowmans arm. This is one of those that I'm very happy the sequence of events worked out as it did and SF got the ball back on the next play anyway. Rewatching the running in to the kicker, I still thought that was the correct call, until I heard the announcers clarify the plant leg vs. kicking leg. Overall after rewatching the game, I think the officiating sucked, and SF was deffinitely on the wrong end of it. I'm obviously biased, and it is impossible to say with the whole butterfly effect thing, but I don't think the calls necessarily had a true effect on the outcome of the game though.

4) Bowman's injury sucked to watch. Awful to watch these guys that are killing themselves for their team leave on a cart in the biggest game of the year. I was happy to see that neither Iupati or Bowmans injuries could be viewed as anything maliscious. I know there's quite a few that think Seattle is intentionally gunning to injure 49ers, but that didn't appear to be the case with either. Hopefully they can bounce back in time for next season.

5) The fans (both teams fans). I can't really think of more classless thing a fan could do than to throw stuff at an injured player leaving the field on a cart. I guess it were something more substative like perhaps a burrito. That might be worse than popcorn. Or a slushy i/e Wierd Science. I've tried coming up with some scenarios of the fan, maybe leaning over the railing to look, and the popcorn happens to fall out of their bag while they're looking.......but that's obviously a reach. I think it was truely an act of a classless piece of crap that there really isn't an excuse for. I know most of you already have your opinions of Seattle fans, etc. but hopefully you don't just lump all of us together as classless because of the acts of a few. That being said, I was surprised at the number of 49er fans there. Well represented. There were a few in my section, that I and a lot of other fans chatted with. No smack talking, everything was civil. After the game I saw a handful of 49er fans walking around flipping people off and starting crap. Also saw Seattle fans talking crap to some 49er fans. But overall, things were very civil.

6) Sherman. I think he's like Pete Carroll. If he's not on your team, and you don't follow him daily, you don't get to "know" him. I REALLY didn't care for his blowup after the game. He's paying the price now. He's an interesting guy though. I think the tendancy is for other teams fans to hear him talk like that and write him off as a classless thug. I can't think of a player that I've ever watched that is like him. He talks a lot about being the best corner in the NFL, and how he was slighted by not getting drafted until the 5th round. etc. But that's not unique to him. What is unique to him is him specifically calling out players. Not a lot of players do that. What is also kind of unique is he doesn't do it carte blanc. He did it with Crabtree, he did it with Julio Jones, and with Tom Brady. There have been a couple more, but not a lot. He often goes out of his way to praise other players after playing them as well. That's why I think the guy is an enigma. Usually it seems players are smack talkers about everyone, or they just read from the script. Sherman seems to have a handful of guys that he really HATES, and can't keep his mouth shut around them, but then says all the right things about others. I do think it's a bit unfair to stick a microphone in a players face seconds after they make the biggest play, on the biggest stage, in the biggest moment of their life and as for the uncut version of things. They have a different mentality on the field and I think it shows through in that situation. That being said, I'm a believer in the school of winning and losing with grace and let your play speak for itself. Sherman doesn't. And I'd be really surprised if many outside of Seattle are willing to overlook the mouth.

Anyway, just wanted to spout off some thoughts. It has been a fun season. And despite the resistance that for whatever reason a lot of you show to calling this a "rivalry," I'd imagine it's probably a full blown rivalry now. Here's looking to at least a couple more years of some epic games, and lord willing some epic playoff battles.

Maltz out.
Share 49ersWebzone