LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

2013 - NFC Championship Round: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just got back from Los Angeles and have had a 6 hour drive to think about the game. Haven't rewatched yet (may wait at least a few weeks).

1) Kap: OK...let me start by saying anyone who wants to replace Kap as the QB needs to stop sniffing glue. I haven't even read anything on this site yet but I KNOW you guys have probably already been out in force.

First off, Kap was the only person who did ANYTHING in the game on offense. The plays he made with his legs and arm were the only reason they were in the game at the end. Then Seahawks completely eliminated the run game. Gore could do nothing. Boldin dropped two passes. Lets also not forget that the Seahawks are the best pass D in the NFL for a REASON. Did Colin play perfectly? Of course not. Still a young player in the most hostile environment in the NFL and still was one throw away from winning his FOURTH consecutive road game and FOURTH road playoff game.

I'd like to highlight that last part in particular. No team has EVER won 4 straight games on the road. Ever. No team has won back to back Conference Championship games on the road. Anyone ready to throw the towel in on Kap need to remove their cranium from their rectum. Kap is going to be here for a long time so you had better get used to it.

Some of my favorite quotes I've seen on PFT say stuff like "Great Athlete but Niners will never win a Championship with Kaepernick". That comment makes me laugh. It shows very little understanding of 49er history. I remember another player who was tagged with the exact same line...athletic, great runner, best RB on the team, too undisciplined, they will never win a Championship with him.

His name was Steve Young.

2) Richard Sherman: Undoubtedly the biggest pr*ck in the NFL. I've been on a few sites that are actually defending him, saying Crabtree tried to "start a fight" with him, etc, etc. Ya know what? That dude isn't just an a$$hat, he's also a boldfaced liar. I don't believe a single word that comes after his mouth. I remember his "account" of how he congratulated Harbaugh after the week 2 game and how the video showed that he comp[lately made up what happened. He never game Harbaugh the chance to respond before he ran away. It pretty much puts a slant on every single thing I hear from him. Crab said earlier in the week that he didn't think Sherman was the best and that he didn't pay attention to particular players...just teams. THAT was what Dick Sherman responded to. Seriously? THAT comment is the reason you make yourself look like a moron on National TV? The sad part is that the guy is good. REALLY good. He's smart. He's dedicated to his craft. If he would shut his mouth he'd actually get the respect he claims he never gets. I might actually have rooted for the Seahawks 2 sundays from now but I can't bring myself to root for that piece of trash. What absolutely BLOWS ME AWAY is how all I read from Seahawks fans is how big a douche Harbaugh and Kaepernick are. They b***h and complain about how those two don't respect them. They see NO ISSUE with Shermans antics. Unbelievable hypocritical.

Go Broncos.

3) Bowman: Ultimate adding injury to insult. I'm bothered by the game, but I'm crushed because of that injury. I hope he can make it back, but I don't want them to rush him. I want him back as close to 100% as possible. The fact that he hung onto the ball...OMG. That's just nuts. The fact that the refs missed it...no comment.

4) Aldon: Dude is a straight pass rushing monster. Really only participated greatly in 12 games this season (missed 5 and was limted in 2 more) and still amassed 12 sacks. Even when double and triple teamed, he can't be contained forever.

5) Seattle fans: As disgusted as I am at Sherman and by the fan who threw popcorn at Bowman as he exited the field, I honestly don't think that behavior is indicative of most of that fanbase. I was on Seahawks.net last night and I was seeing a level of respect for the 49ers that I hadn't seen before and peeps upset about the popcorn incident and wishing the best for Bowman and Iupati. Just want to keep it in perspective. One idiot fan does not an entire fanbase make. If we hold them all responsible for that then we are all no better than Niner fans who stab opposing fans the Candlestick parking lot. Just sayin'.

6) Crab/Boldin/WRs: Really looking forward to getting him next year with a full offseason to recover. He has played far better than I ever could have expected, but there is no way he was 100% this year. Really hoping they can resign Boldin for a reasonable price. I think that his issue last year with Baltimore and not wanting to take a pay cut had more to do with wanting Baltimore to honor their contract than wanting the payday. We'll see because thing are going to get tight. I would expect the Niners to draft another WR and see Crab/Boldin/Patton/Draft Pick as the teams WRs next year.

7) Secondary: My guess is that both Donte Whitner, Terrell Brown, and Carlos Rogers have put on the red and gold for the last time. Rogers doesn't concern me. Cully is back. Brock will start....but they will have to select a CB fairly high and probably sign a few cheap free agents to compete. I was never a fan of Whitner...until this year. Replacing him is my biggest concern on D. I just don't see how they sign him AND keep everyone else.

The good news is that Baalke has shown an ability to go find guys who were highly ranked coming out of college and have been a "bust" with the teams that selected them and then allowing them to succeed with this coaching staff (See Whitner, Donte: Rogers, Carlos: Dorsey, Glenn). He'll need to do it again in a few positions on the team.

8) Contracts: Now stuff starts to get expensive. My guess is Kap and Aldon get redone in the offseason and Crab and Iupati play out their contracts. Given the choiceof the two, I'd say resign Crab...but I'm not sure it will be possible.

9) Championship Window: This all leads me to my biggest concern. The Niners are in danger of having their Championship window expire. Gore is not getting any younger. Neither is Justin Smith. I can't wait to see Lattimore or Carradine, but we won't know till those guys can play. The 49ers of the past were able to restock their rosters and keep that window open for an incredibly long time. We'll just have to see if Baalke can do the same now that those rookie deals are expiring. Having 6 picks in the first 3 rounds helps. Having a new stadium and a team that has been in the NFC Championship 3 years running helps attract free agents. This should be an interesting offseason.

10) Refs: The refs were bad. Niners got hosed on a few calls. Ya know what tho? I spent weeks being pissed off after the Super Bowl. I don't want to do it again. Some of the missed calls didn't make a difference anyway. Some might have made a difference, but the reality is that we'll never know and getting pissed about it won't change it. Nobody is going to remember that a drive should have been extended by a roughing the kicker call. Nobody cares and will only site some call that went against them 2 years earlier. No point to it.

OK, when's the draft? Looking forward to watching a bit of a retool this offseason.

hurts so much
Kap was the only one doing anything? Okay. I'll play... WRs and TEs can't catch if the ball isn't thrown...and the HBs can't run if the defense has 8-9 in the box daring Kap to throw.

This defense had Kap pegged. The only thing that was working early was Kap running and later in the game Kap was forcing throws..which look magnificent when they go your way..and result in picks when they don't.

Not saying that everyone on offense didn't contribute to this loss...but let's be fair here..kap wasn't the only one doing anything...and what is more, he was a part of the reason everyone else was limited to what they could do.
Thanks Marv, good write up.

f**king so damn close again. Three f**king years in a row. I need a break from this s**t but i am addicted.
Kap is the real deal. A little more experience and he will become more patient and less risk taking.No way we should have been stopped on that last drive. Too many brain dead playcalls offensively by Harbaugh/Roman. That fade wasen't the wrong call but a very very shaky one at best that far out with Sherdoosh back there. Every game that Roman has called (if he was calling the plays)were horribly inconsistant between pass and run and pathetic pass routes and on and on. Entire quarters of 3 and outs all year. He needs to go. Our D just stepped up even more in playoffs to get us to championship game and to the 4th quarter against Seaderoll in seattle to almost win the game. Kap's youth (3) turnovers late cost us the game. He had no clock in his head on that strip, none. Weak roll out and seconds too long holding the ball,indecisive. He did not cost us the sb however. With injuries to Bowman and Iupati combined with the wildcard playoff route would have spelled disaster against Denver. We BADLY need an upgrade behind Kap at running back. Maybe Lattimore? but a disruptive Lynch type back along with a real mo----fu--ing NFL playcalling offensive coordinator and we are better than the best team in football, US. Don't forget that Seattle took out our starting nose tackle in week 2. Next year if healthy and a better backfield,playcalling,etc and we will be very good again,no doubt.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Kap was the only one doing anything? Okay. I'll play... WRs and TEs can't catch if the ball isn't thrown...and the HBs can't run if the defense has 8-9 in the box daring Kap to throw.

This defense had Kap pegged. The only thing that was working early was Kap running and later in the game Kap was forcing throws..which look magnificent when they go your way..and result in picks when they don't.

Not saying that everyone on offense didn't contribute to this loss...but let's be fair here..kap wasn't the only one doing anything...and what is more, he was a part of the reason everyone else was limited to what they could do.

What I find Ironic is that when Alex Smith was the reason other players didn't do anything, it was the other players' fault for not helping Alex. Now that it's Kap, it's all Kap's fault that nobody else did anything.

Ridiculous.
Originally posted by Empire49:
What I find Ironic is that when Alex Smith was the reason other players didn't do anything, it was the other players' fault for not helping Alex. Now that it's Kap, it's all Kap's fault that nobody else did anything.

Ridiculous.

Can we ban the next person who brings up the Chiefs' QB in Niner Talk? NO f**kING POINT
Niners were in the PERFECT position to win, in the red zone, with 2 time outs and 1 minute left. They should have lined up wide, and let Kap run it twice. He was breaking through without problem. No idea why he wasn't doing that all game. With those legs, all he needed was 4 steps.
We live and die with Kap. And both happened yesterday. He made some great plays and was better than Wilson. Also made some costly mistakes. Lets pray that he can improve the mental aspect of the game and improve from the pocket. If that happens, he will be the best QB in the NFL.

...and Kap can't throw the ball and catch it too when its dropped by Boldin.

The defense get paid too and the Seahawks are the NFLs best pass defense for a reason.

Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Niners were in the PERFECT position to win, in the red zone, with 2 time outs and 1 minute left. They should have lined up wide, and let Kap run it twice. He was breaking through without problem. No idea why he wasn't doing that all game. With those legs, all he needed was 4 steps.

I agree with this. After Kap ran all over Seattle in the first half, they abandoned it down the stretch. Not sure if the coaches wanted to throw on the Seattle secondary like it was some kind of pissing contest or what, but another scramble or two might have won that game.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

The defense get paid too and the Seahawks are the NFLs best pass defense for a reason.

The funny part is a few years ago you both were on the same side of this argument...I guess you are also a "flip flopper" marvin...lol
Originally posted by JimA49ers:

They shut that down in the second half with a fifth player up to spy Kap, sometimes a sixth. The best plan was to pass the ball
Despite everything that happened we had a chance to win in the end. This is on kap and he admitted as much.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

The funny part is a few years ago you both were on the same side of this argument...I guess you are also a "flip flopper" marvin...lol

? I was one of Smiths biggest supporters on this site. Not sure what you mean.
Share 49ersWebzone