LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

Off Season Thoughts

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Off Season Thoughts

Originally posted by Jcool:
You do know we have 12 picks right??? With 5 in the first 3 rounds.

Who cares..It doesn't matter how many picks we have...Balke sucks. Bad drafting, especially with offensive play makers.
It would be great if we don't lose any players in the offseason, but too much to expect maybe.

If Boldin goes (hope not), we will need a good enough replacement. About Gore, we'll see how the RB position plays out.

Whatever at this point, I would rather have the Broncos win the SB this year.
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
WR a BIG 6'3" 200lbs tough over the middle. Physical, Blocks well, strong. In the mold of Vincent Jackson.

OC that is Smart and excels at both Pass and Run Blocking. 6'3" 300lbs . Smart, Physical, Strong. Alex Mack anyone?

RB Lattimore replaces Gore as the bell cow. Gore takes paycut and is a backup.

ILB Bow will play next season. In house replacement of either Wilhoite, Moody or Skuta.

CB that is physical. 6'1" big, physical, strong, disrupts routes, tackles well. Similar to Gilbert in the draft.

SS that excels at both the Run & Pass. Good coverage skills, tackles well, smart. Almost like having 2 FS's playing at the same time.

So I'd like a new starter at WR/OC/CB/SS

With Colin, Crabs and Aldon I would extend Aldon. Give him an incentive contract that also protects the team.

In Free Agency I would target OC Alex Mack

In the draft I'd target WR Mike Evans & CB Justin Gilbert

Davante Adams??? He is 6'2 216
Lets get in the blimp for a second. Gore had a great year. He is our 20 carry RB in week 1 2014. Lattimore's upside needs to be evaluated with Gore still being our primary RB. We know what we have in Hunter, Lattimore...a relative unknown at this level. Plus, Frank being the man he is will be the veteran who gets involved with 38's development. As the season matures, the carry discrepancy can even out.

In my mind, Frank turns a 1 yard run into 3 better than anyone in the business. And for my $, he gets the job done in protection and blitz pickup. Invaluable...38 needs coaching. Between 21 and Rathman, I think we find out sooner than later what we have in 38.
We need to improve in ALL areas, even if we won. We have boatload of picks, lets hope we use them wisely!
we can have all the fast and tall wrs we want but as long as roman doesnt use them or kaep just reads crabs we'll be what ifing all over again next yr. if roman is back hes gonna need to do a complete 180 in the passing game and kaep is gonna need to be highly improved. 3 straight yrs with a dominating d and its the f**king offense that STILL has let us down tremendously, with the way the universe hates the 9ers how much yall willing to bet that when our offense is averaging pts in the high 20's that our offense will have a down yr? i wont be surprised
New offensive system and play calling.

Get a BIG, fast WR.

Bolster the secondary.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Better CBs
replace Goodwin
Get another work horse RB
get a legit #1 WR

oh yah and fire Roman
[ Edited by susweel on Jan 20, 2014 at 10:26 AM ]
FIRE GREG ROMAN.
Run some more god damn screens. I seriously think we ran 4 screen passes the entire year.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Run some more god damn screens. I seriously think we ran 4 screen passes the entire year.

our OL is too big and slow for those.
CB's that stick to their receivers and don't give up after seeing the QB being chased down by Aldon, etc. Let them do their job, and have the CB's continue to do theirs. The midget completed a huge pass on 3rd and looooong yesterday while being chased down. The CB came in to help, leaving his coverage.
I have a big long post about kap but it's not woth me at the moment so I can't post. Upshot: we need competition at QB to get the most out of that position for 2014.

Controversial, perhaps, but I don't think that I saw enough growth from late october to now to feel confident we wont be in the same situation next year.
  • ace52
  • Veteran
I was devastated by this loss, so much so that I didn't/couldn't post anything yesterday after the game. I was just too stunned by another heart-wrenching loss.
However, with some time to reflect, I think we are going to be OK next year. Our team still has a lot of talent, and our players play with a passion and intensity that will win most of the games that they will be in.

Still, to take the next step up toward becoming a SB champion, the Niners will need to work on a few areas. I would like to see the team do these things in this coming off-season:

1) Kap must improve: I don't want to see him go to Atlanta to work on his strength/athleticism. His athleticism is off the charts (for a QB) already. I would like to see him stay right here in the Bay Area, and I would like to see JH work with him in a QB clinic, if you will. During the season, a head coach has to divide his time between so many other things, so he probably won't have the time to do significant 1:1 work with his QB. Time should not be an issue in the off-season. Also, I think that JH should invite another expert to come to this "clinic" to work with him and Colin, because another set of eyes may bring a more objective view that JH himself may lack. Heck, I would like to see Jim reach out to Steve Young, who still cares enough about the team that if the Niners ask nicely, and pay him well for his time, will probably agree to come and help out the young 9er QB. Jim and Steve can really work with Colin on developing his pocket presence, more touch on his passes (he still throws the ball too flat sometimes, with not the right amount of arc to beat tight coverage). They should work with him on reading defenses, throwing under pressure, and throwing in the red zone with pressure in his face.

2) Baalke is a frugal GM, and that is good in general. However, if there is a stand-out WR with deep threat speed, and/or CB in the free-agent market, I hope that he will not hesitate to go after them even if they may be expensive, as long as they don't break the bank, so to speak. SEA made some free-agent signings this year (Avril, Bennett) that ended up helping them out a lot. Draft picks are great, but sometimes even outstanding rookies will make mistakes that a good vet won't make (see Reid whiffing on Lynch yesterday, for example).

3) I love Bowman, but I'm not sure if/when he can be back at 100% after that horrific injury. We need to keep Wilhoite (a very good LB, IMO), and go after a stud LB in the draft as an insurance policy in case Bowman can't return as the Bowman that we all know and love.

4) Let Lattimore gradually work himself into the starting RB role. I love Frank, but I think he is in the twilight of his career. Let him tutor Lattimore this coming season while splitting the carries with him, and later on, hopefully Frank will become a RB coach with the Niners.

5) The OL needs some upgrades. They have never been that good in pass protection, and for a line that is supposedly great at "mauling people" in the run game, they have not been able to consistently open holes for our RBs when going up against good defensive fronts. I would definitely keep Staley and Boone. The Niners should consider upgrading the other positions along the line, or at least have an open competition for them.

6) Try to keep Boldin. Enough said.
Good post.
Share 49ersWebzone