LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Off Season Thoughts

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Off Season Thoughts

Originally posted by fryet:
What changes do you think the 49ers should make to make them better next year. My number one change is to replace Frank Gore as the starting RB. He is a very smart player, but his body just isn't strong/fast enough anymore. I think it is time to see what our backups have, and see if they can carry the load. What changes would you make?

Well to Gore's credit he had no room to run last night. Seattle's dlinemen were in the backfield on him as soon as he was handed the ball.
Originally posted by xcfan:
move boone to RT, and davis to RG. then, you will have two pro bowlers.

I was thinking the same thing. Boone is too big for his own good to be a guard, he's too tall 6'8. And Davis is too slow to handle speed rushers. Why not switch them to RG/RT and get a bully for a center because Goodwin is Done. And we also need a game changer at WR. I like Crabs & Quan but they are more possession types and not gamebreaking types. And on defense, this team needs another CB and another pass rusher and a Huge run stuffer.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I was thinking the same thing. Boone is too big for his own good to be a guard, he's too tall 6'8. And Davis is too slow to handle speed rushers. Why not switch them to RG/RT and get a bully for a center because Goodwin is Done. And we also need a game changer at WR. I like Crabs & Quan but they are more possession types and not gamebreaking types. And on defense, this team needs another CB and another pass rusher and a Huge run stuffer.
We've been looking for a speedster at Wr since John Taylor left. We always meed a CB. I still dont know why Rodgers was in, i really don't like him at slot every team picks on him
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Buchy:
Our areas of need:

1) Wide Receiver - we need a deep threat, I'd rather give up picks and go for Watkins on Lee than draft 2 or 3 lower round guys who we never look at or make an impact with.
2) Secondary - we need a new safety to replace Whitner who once again was a liability in coverage in the big game.
3) Secondary - we need a tall, fast, rangy corner back, maybe two
4) Oline - we need to get guys in who can both pass and run protect. Only guys I want to keep are Boone and Staley.

LOL, where are you going to get the draft picks for all of this?

You do know we have 12 picks right??? With 5 in the first 3 rounds.
[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 20, 2014 at 8:02 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Phoenix ITA with you however ....

No new weapons until something is done with the play-calling and offensive player development. You simply can't develop players unless they actually get chances. This offense is myopically focused on three receiving options period. Why waste a high draft pick on a player who's just going to run go-routes as a decoy with maybe one or two occasional bombs thrown his way. BS. We watch endless tape of an offensive players ability on college only to come to the 49ers to ride the pine or be inactive. If Harbaugh is going to develop his young QB, he needs to either teach him to open his view or the plays need to involve more than one bootleg pass to McDonald per game. I think it's absurd that people have already made judgements about James and Hunter in an offense that seems like it can only use it's RBs off tackle. Why draft these players with those skill sets? Possible big disconnect between coaching and drafting?

And let's talk about the 49ers RUNNING GAME. When we've needed it this season to help us get back into games it was simply not there. And particularly this game the answer? Use the QB as the runner. Really? No imaginative scheme? Nothing more than off tackle? Nothing the Hawks haven't seen before? Nope. Oh I get it the James toss back to Kap for another run ... THAT was supposed to work.

The Stanford offense is dead in the NFL.

Problem is we're not seeing any evolution past it - at least not this year.

Honestly I don't think we've seen the Stanford offense in the NFL yet. I saw multiple pass targets used (including those off the bench) mixed in with the power running.
Originally posted by HONEYBADGER:
Shore up secondary, kick Rogers down the road.

We need one or two more talented wide outs, some speed, a legitimate downfield threat

A replacement for Bowman at Linebacker, he wont be back by next season.

New OC, and offensive game plan because the current one is terrible.

Someone to spell or replace Gore, hes getting up there in age.

Too many things and not enough money which is why they should not give Kap the farm.

Hmmm all these new things PLUS a new QB. Sounds like you want to go backwards. Kap is our man. Geez, he's only had 1 full year. 2 NFC championship games and a superbowl. Luck, Dalton, Bulger, Stafford haven't even sniffed a Superbowl.
If Carlos rogers is on the roster next season, I will drive to Baalkes office and punch him in the face.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Buchy:
Our areas of need:

1) Wide Receiver - we need a deep threat, I'd rather give up picks and go for Watkins on Lee than draft 2 or 3 lower round guys who we never look at or make an impact with.
2) Secondary - we need a new safety to replace Whitner who once again was a liability in coverage in the big game.
3) Secondary - we need a tall, fast, rangy corner back, maybe two
4) Oline - we need to get guys in who can both pass and run protect. Only guys I want to keep are Boone and Staley.

LOL, where are you going to get the draft picks for all of this?

We need big physical wide receivers (the likes of Vincent Jackson or Megatron) to go up against the adderall thug secondary of the seachickens. I cringe every time Patton catches a ball because I know he's going to get popped and he's just not massive enough to take it. And we need a stable of running backs. I hope Lattimore pans out. The secondary definitely needs addressing.
Originally posted by TruNinerFan:
If Carlos rogers is on the roster next season, I will drive to Baalkes office and punch him in the face.

Same here!!!
Originally posted by TruNinerFan:

Same here!!!

An actual deep threat at WR, or two even.

A decision on what the hell they are going to do with LaMichael James. Either find a way to utilize him in the offense or trade him and bring in a speedy, change of pace back ala Ellington in Arizona that Roman would actually use.

Carlos Rogers, too expensive, too slow-footed, 49ers need to draft a cornerback or two, preferably one outside guy and one to play in the slot to combine with Culliver, Brown and Morris to fight it out in training camp.

Overhaul this offense and this goofy 1970's passing scheme. Send Kaepernick to QB School, instead of lifting weights he needs to be lifting playbooks and watching tape. Find ways to involve guys like McDonald, Patton and Hunter more in the offense.

Utilize the RB's a lot more in the passing game.

Fangio should continue blitzing, it has been very effective, not necessarily to go crazy with it but the way he's used it in the postseason has been very effective.

This is spot on. Have been questioning all of these factors throughout the season and can't wrap my head around why the coaching staff doesn't see or change any of this when fans do?
WR a BIG 6'3"+ 200lbs+ tough over the middle. Physical, Blocks well, strong. In the mold of Vincent Jackson.

OC that is Smart and excels at both Pass and Run Blocking. 6'3"+ 300lbs+. Smart, Physical, Strong. Alex Mack anyone?

RB Lattimore replaces Gore as the bell cow. Gore takes paycut and is a backup.

ILB Bow will play next season. In house replacement of either Wilhoite, Moody or Skuta.

CB that is physical. 6'1"+ big, physical, strong, disrupts routes, tackles well. Similar to Gilbert in the draft.

SS that excels at both the Run & Pass. Good coverage skills, tackles well, smart. Almost like having 2 FS's playing at the same time.

So I'd like a new starter at WR/OC/CB/SS

With Colin, Crabs and Aldon I would extend Aldon. Give him an incentive contract that also protects the team.

In Free Agency I would target OC Alex Mack

In the draft I'd target WR Mike Evans & CB Justin Gilbert
[ Edited by JR80Forever on Jan 20, 2014 at 9:12 AM ]
WR a BIG 6'3"+ 200lbs+ tough over the middle. Physical, Blocks well, strong. In the mold of Vincent Jackson.

OC that is Smart and excels at both Pass and Run Blocking. 6'3"+ 300lbs+. Smart, Physical, Strong. Alex Mack anyone?

RB Lattimore replaces Gore as the bell cow. Gore takes paycut and is a backup.

ILB Bow will play next season. In house replacement of either Wilhoite, Moody or Skuta.

CB that is physical. 6'1"+ big, physical, strong, disrupts routes, tackles well. Similar to Gilbert in the draft.

SS that excels at both the Run & Pass. Good coverage skills, tackles well, smart. Almost like having 2 FS's playing at the same time.

So I'd like a new starter at WR/OC/CB/SS

With Colin, Crabs and Aldon I would extend Aldon. Give him an incentive contract that also protects the team.

In Free Agency I would target OC Alex Mack

In the draft I'd target WR Mike Evans & CB Justin Gilbert
get rid of sorry ass Carlos Rogers
Share 49ersWebzone