There are 251 users in the forums

Off Season Thoughts

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Off Season Thoughts

• Buchy
  • Veteran
Our areas of need:

1) Wide Receiver - we need a deep threat, I'd rather give up picks and go for Watkins on Lee than draft 2 or 3 lower round guys who we never look at or make an impact with.
2) Secondary - we need a new safety to replace Whitner who once again was a liability in coverage in the big game.
3) Secondary - we need a tall, fast, rangy corner back, maybe two
4) Oline - we need to get guys in who can both pass and run protect. Only guys I want to keep are Boone and Staley.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
I wish we could have gotten Josh Gordon earlier this year
Originally posted by Buchy:
Our areas of need:

1) Wide Receiver - we need a deep threat, I'd rather give up picks and go for Watkins on Lee than draft 2 or 3 lower round guys who we never look at or make an impact with.
2) Secondary - we need a new safety to replace Whitner who once again was a liability in coverage in the big game.
4) Oline - we need to get guys in who can both pass and run protect. Only guys I want to keep are Boone and Staley.

Great list, but we're stuck with Anthony Davis for awhile. I think he is the guy we have under contract the longest at the present time...possibly 2019 or 2020 if I'm not mistaken.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Bring back Nate Davis.

...ok, now I'll stop.

WTF this guy is a walking CF with that #
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Great list, but we're stuck with Anthony Davis for awhile. I think he is the guy we have under contract the longest at the present time...possibly 2019 or 2020 if I'm not mistaken.

again, all we have to do to shore up the right side is put boone at RT and davis at RG
1) OC
2) CB/SS
3) OL/DL
4) (possible) Bowman replacement
5) Buy some refs
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Jan 20, 2014 at 3:02 AM ]
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xcfan:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

again, all we have to do to shore up the right side is put boone at RT and davis at RG

That would actually work very well I think. Good post.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
These players and coached got the team in the Super Bowl last year and almost won it. Refs on that last play made sure they didn't. This year this team and coached got the team in the NFC championship game and you want to make changes??? NO NO you add to the team. You add a big fast receiver and better slot corner. You don't change..
Our OL is one of the best in the biz. Only guy who probably gets replaced is Goodwin, which is fine because we have young guys ready to step up. Draft another OL or 2, get rid of Snyder. I love Iupati, Davis, Boone and Staley. Hopefully Looney and Kilgore can take the next step.

Not sure about RB...I haven't read anything yet but Gore was either injured or very worn down yesterday. He's still a top RB for our style, but we need to see what's really up with Lattimore. I like Hunter but I don't know that we utilize him well. LaMichael James is a nice player, but I don't know where he fits and I don't like him at KR/PR. We need another SWAK/FB/HB/TE type.

Love VD and McDonald at TE.

WRs...sign Boldin to another deal, coach up Patton (who I like) and maybe look to replace Crabs. He's a fine possession receiver, but won't be worth the money he'll demand. We also need need a smaller, speedster WR.

I feel very good about our DLine. This is an area where we'll get better from within. We have Dial and Carradine who basically red shirted and will go into the offseason with a good understanding of the system. I like what Dorsey gave us in spot situations, McDonald is still awesome, same with JSmith. Aldon will need an incentive based contract to make sure he stays focused.

LBs, we're still in very good shape with Willis and Brooks. Bowman will be out a while but I like our young guys Skuta and Wilhote. Should look to draft another LB or 2.

CBs...you can never have enough tall, fast, physical DBs. I like what Tremaine Brock showed late in the year. Other than him, we need to upgrade. Rogers is done, he looked awful yesterday and shouldn't have played. Eric Wright...still trying to understand the fascination with him. Terrell Brown is prob a goner. Whitner can stay another year for me but we need to draft some CBs/DBs.

• MarkD
  • Veteran
Badly wanted to go the falcon route and trade up for Watkins, but now we need those picks for a bowman replacement who can at least ball out and has the potential to be legit and hold the fort down until November or December when bowman comes back. We're also gonna need at least 2 cbs to replace sorry ass Rogers and brown who's likely gone as well we need a ss hopefully one that's not 5'9" and struggles to cover. I also want a qb who has the potential to start with good coaching to give Kaep a run for his money, preferably a pocket passer but who's not a statue back there. More in the mold running wise like an Alex smith and aaron Rodgers. That's a good amount of needs just looking at it and I haven't even mention a speed wr or 2 who can take the cover off defenses.
How about some better corners? Our secondary is the one glaring weakness in our defense...

As far as I'm concerned, I'm fine with letting all the cornerbacks go, except Brock and Culliver.
  • thl408
Very easy answer for me. Upgrade the offensive line's pass protection. I am looking at Iupati and Goodwin. One or both of those positions need to be upgraded to give Kap more time in the pocket. I love Iupati, but he is not an adapt pass blocker. I'm trying not to go off just the emotions of the loss as there aren't many Olines that do well in SEA.

The NFC West is loaded with good Dlines. If we want Kap to progress as a pocket passer, then he needs time in the pocket. To me, this is above getting a deep threat, although that is an important second.

Also, get some better cover corners and the 49ers will be good to go in 2014.
Originally posted by Buchy:
Our areas of need:

LOL, where are you going to get the draft picks for all of this?
Share 49ersWebzone