There are 165 users in the forums

Off Season Thoughts

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Off Season Thoughts

Originally posted by Empire49:
I don't know if you bothered to pay attention to what Kap, Harbaugh, or anyone else who knows football had to say about that play, but theoretically, Kap made the right decision. Hindsight being 20/20, it's easy to look back and say it was a bad choice. However, he made the correct read in seeing Crabtree having the only 1-on-1 match up on the entire field and took a shot. What resulted was strictly due to a good defender making a great play. Kap could have made a better throw by placing the ball further to the outside where only Crabtree could possibly reach it, but the actual throw is not what you're referencing in your criticism here.

And you're severely undervaluing Michael Crabtree. He will not be easy to replace by any means. You have to take into consideration the fact that our front office has not been good at evaluating, drafting or developing WR talent through the draft. Quinton Patton looks promising, but Crabtree is a legit #1. The staff may actually be good at evaluating WR talent, but if that is the case, they aren't good at placing a value on WRs. This is evident by them allowing several good WRs to slip right by them (Keenan Allen, Alshon Jeffrey). We know that Crabtree is very valuable to this offense. It isn't a crap shoot. You have to pay this guy if at all possible.

Also, if you think there's a chance we'll get Aldon re-signed for "cheap," you will be sorely disappointed.
that was a bad decision and throw. he had no seperation. it would have to be one hell of a throw and catch for him to have made a play there, just poor decision making is what i was referring to there. and crabtree is replaceable, he is a number 1. but considering his price tag in 2 years ill get someone less productive this year and next and and help us out in order to pay kapernick a nice contract.
and by cheap for aldon. im saying cheaper than if he had no off field issues.
I know Harbaugh said that...but Harbaugh hasn't shown a tendency to be brutally honest about his opinions on any player or play with the press. Just saying.

Not saying it wasn't true that time...just said, it doesn't mean it isn't true either.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Jan 23, 2014 at 11:00 AM ]
Originally posted by DJamhour:
that was a bad decision and throw. he had no seperation. it would have to be one hell of a throw and catch for him to have made a play there, just poor decision making is what i was referring to there. and crabtree is replaceable, he is a number 1. but considering his price tag in 2 years ill get someone less productive this year and next and and help us out in order to pay kapernick a nice contract.
and by cheap for aldon. im saying cheaper than if he had no off field issues.

Hindsight being 20/20, we all know it was a bad decision and throw NOW. Presnap, his read was dead on and the decision was not poor. Peyton Manning throws that pass all the time to receivers that are not open. That route is not designed to get the receiver open, the receiver just needs to make it happen.

The throw was not good. I give you that. It needed to be more to the outside.

As for Crabtree, you're basing your decision on his price tag. The problem with that is you literally have no clue what that price tag is. Any player can be replaced. However, some of them are difficult to replace and Crabtree is one of them. You have no idea if we can even find someone productive to replace the guy. We haven't done it so far. Boldin was gifted to us, so don't try to use him as an example of how we can find good receivers.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by teylo31:
Originally posted by 4ML:
The dumbest thing I have read on here(when posters are being serious) is getting rid of Gore. Who on earth is gonna take his spot. Lattimore is not proven yet and hasnt played a snap in the NFL. Who knows if Hunter is an every down back. After that they have nobody.

I love Gore..but it's hardly the dumbest thing. He's scheduled to make 6+ million dollar this year. If we were well under the cap and our young studs were signed to long term deal - then there is no issue with it. But, that's not the case and we've to make smart decisions.

If he is willing to restructure his contract..then by all means. But, if he insists on playing that salary...we've to make tough decisions. Better to cut a guy a year too early and keep him a year too late. Rams are a great example of what I'm talking about.

Plus, RB is probably the easiest position to replace through the draft. You can find good RBs in 2nd and 3rd round.

The Rams are not a good example. Parted with Jackson based on a full season last year with rb they thought were gonna be the future and didnt pan out only to get lucky that a rookie stepped up. Thats not sound practice but luck and falcons just fell apart. Nobody on that team was any good this year. The 49ers have much bigger needs than rb this yr so they are not gonna draft any rb high so again its hoping somebody pans or picking up a free agent at half Gore salary. Gore has 1 yr left at 6+ thats well worth it for a pro bowl rb especially when the money we need is more for next year than this year. I believe nxt year is his last but it seems everybody wants a veteran to come in and guide Kaep why would you not want the same for a rb under the greatest rb in 49er history. So yes I think getting rid of gore or worrying about him restrucring is dumb

lol dumb? It's common sense. We can not afford to keep 30+ year old Gore at $6M. It is the nature of the business. It's great to have a veteran like Gore to mentor young guys...but it's not a necessity, definitely not for $6M at a time when we have to extend our QB, No. 1 WR, premiere pass-rusher in the league...and resign Boldin and possibly Whitner. I gave Rams as an example because they were able to let Jackson go and did just fine with couple of young RBs.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Riot:
Unless you have an Adrian Peterson the days of the featured back are over. They're just too easily replaceable to invest in heavily.

Thank you.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Iupati - trade
Crabtree - keep
Kap - keep
Boldin - keep
Whitner - keep
Rogers - walk
Aldon - keep
no chance we trade Kaep, Aldon or Crabs period, we will sign Kaep and Aldon to long term deals, most likely this off season, Crabs will depend on the $ but if he doesn't sign, he'll walk in FA, he's a guy we're keeping around to try and win a ring.

Whitner is going to come down to the $$, I can see him testing the market and potentially coming back on a 1 year deal like Dashon did his first go around in FA a cpl years back.

As for Iupati, I see him just like Crabs, it will come down to $$ but we won't trade him because we're in a win now mode and we won't get an immediate upgrade by trading him. Now obviously if some team offered something great to us we wouldn't pass up or if somehow relations with him got real bad I guess something could happen but it won't.

Rogers=gone for sure and I see this team doing all they can to get Boldin back, I predict a 2 year deal worth 10-11M potentially with a 3rd non guaranteed year in there.
Everybody walks for the tank
Originally posted by Riot:
Unless you have an Adrian Peterson the days of the featured back are over. They're just too easily replaceable to invest in heavily.

Thank you.

You guys have no faith in Lattimore
Adrian Peterson 279 1,266 4.5 10
Frank Gore 276 1,128 4.1 9

most people think Lattimore will pan out I believe he will also. That gives 2 rb, a committee, at around 3.5 per back for next year. That is a luxury most teams would be thrilled with so why get rid of Gore now. His contract is up after this year let him play it out and then let Lat become the full time given he can do it.

The dumbest thing I have read on here(when posters are being serious) is getting rid of Gore. Who on earth is gonna take his spot. Lattimore is not proven yet and hasnt played a snap in the NFL. Who knows if Hunter is an every down back. After that they have nobody.

I love Gore..but it's hardly the dumbest thing. He's scheduled to make 6+ million dollar this year. If we were well under the cap and our young studs were signed to long term deal - then there is no issue with it. But, that's not the case and we've to make smart decisions.

If he is willing to restructure his contract..then by all means. But, if he insists on playing that salary...we've to make tough decisions. Better to cut a guy a year too early and keep him a year too late. Rams are a great example of what I'm talking about.

Plus, RB is probably the easiest position to replace through the draft. You can find good RBs in 2nd and 3rd round.

The Rams are not a good example. Parted with Jackson based on a full season last year with rb they thought were gonna be the future and didnt pan out only to get lucky that a rookie stepped up. Thats not sound practice but luck and falcons just fell apart. Nobody on that team was any good this year. The 49ers have much bigger needs than rb this yr so they are not gonna draft any rb high so again its hoping somebody pans or picking up a free agent at half Gore salary. Gore has 1 yr left at 6+ thats well worth it for a pro bowl rb especially when the money we need is more for next year than this year. I believe nxt year is his last but it seems everybody wants a veteran to come in and guide Kaep why would you not want the same for a rb under the greatest rb in 49er history. So yes I think getting rid of gore or worrying about him restrucring is dumb

lol dumb? It's common sense. We can not afford to keep 30+ year old Gore at $6M. It is the nature of the business. It's great to have a veteran like Gore to mentor young guys...but it's not a necessity, definitely not for $6M at a time when we have to extend our QB, No. 1 WR, premiere pass-rusher in the league...and resign Boldin and possibly Whitner. I gave Rams as an example because they were able to let Jackson go and did just fine with couple of young RBs.

Extensions if done right will not factor into next yrs contracts
Crabs - Must Keep
Kap - Must Keep
Boldin - Must keep
Iupati - Trade or let walk
Whitner - Sign for cheap if not let him go
Rogers - Get rid of him
Aldon - Must keep
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Extensions if done right will not factor into next yrs contracts

Of course it matters. We've to be under cap next year as well. Whatever money we save this year can be given to guys like Boldin...Whitner up front rather than next year when hopefully some extensions kick in.

Top RBs over 30 are getting paid 3-3.5M a year. IMO...that is how much Gore should get paid. Half of what he is scheduled to make. Since none of the money is guaranteed...I'm hoping he'll realize that he has no option but to restructure. No one is paying him $6M a year in the FA.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerLegend:
Crabs - Must Keep
Kap - Must Keep
Boldin - Must keep
Iupati - Trade or let walk
Whitner - Sign for cheap if not let him go
Rogers - Get rid of him
Aldon - Must keep

Sounds about right. I'd wait on Aldon though. He needs to prove he can stay out of trouble.
Of course it matters. We've to be under cap next year as well. Whatever money we save this year can be given to guys like Boldin...Whitner up front rather than next year when hopefully some extensions kick in.

Top RBs over 30 are getting paid 3-3.5M a year. IMO...that is how much Gore should get paid. Half of what he is scheduled to make. Since none of the money is guaranteed...I'm hoping he'll realize that he has no option but to restructure. No one is paying him $6M a year in the FA.

He's a humble guy who wants to help the team. I see him possibly extending for 2 years and cutting his hit on the cap in half assuming he doesn't just retire, which I can't see him doing now. He still got over 1000 yards last season.
Share 49ersWebzone