LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Off Season Thoughts

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Off Season Thoughts

KEEP EVERYBODY!!!
Originally posted by DJamhour:
Kaepernick is such an athletic freak it's scary for defenses to game plan for him, out of nowhere he could bust out run for a 40 yard gain. He doesn't commit much turnovers. Hell of an arm. It's just pocket presence and progressions are an issue and I was hoping for them to improve this year but haven't seen much improvement ..For ex. Last throw vs Seattle Davis was pretty open for like a 7-8 yard gain. And Patton, omg was he open for an easy gain of 10+ yards.

I don't know if you bothered to pay attention to what Kap, Harbaugh, or anyone else who knows football had to say about that play, but theoretically, Kap made the right decision. Hindsight being 20/20, it's easy to look back and say it was a bad choice. However, he made the correct read in seeing Crabtree having the only 1-on-1 match up on the entire field and took a shot. What resulted was strictly due to a good defender making a great play. Kap could have made a better throw by placing the ball further to the outside where only Crabtree could possibly reach it, but the actual throw is not what you're referencing in your criticism here.

And you're severely undervaluing Michael Crabtree. He will not be easy to replace by any means. You have to take into consideration the fact that our front office has not been good at evaluating, drafting or developing WR talent through the draft. Quinton Patton looks promising, but Crabtree is a legit #1. The staff may actually be good at evaluating WR talent, but if that is the case, they aren't good at placing a value on WRs. This is evident by them allowing several good WRs to slip right by them (Keenan Allen, Alshon Jeffrey). We know that Crabtree is very valuable to this offense. It isn't a crap shoot. You have to pay this guy if at all possible.

Also, if you think there's a chance we'll get Aldon re-signed for "cheap," you will be sorely disappointed.
[ Edited by Empire49 on Jan 23, 2014 at 10:19 AM ]
Getting rid of both Whitner and Rogers would be a huge mistake. They are the leaders in the secondary. Unfortunately only one of them can still play. Losing both vet leaders in the secondary would create a substantial drop off in play. I think because of the abundance of corners in this draft Rogers is more expendable. The possible replacements at Safety like Bucannon (who is Taylor Mays 2.0) would be a bad move as an immediate starter for this team.
LOL @ those that want to get rid of whitner. he's pass coverage has improved since he hasnt been left out to dry by goldson anymore. those that say dahl will start and be ok should remember what happened when reid left because of his concussion.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DJamhour:

Kaepernick is such an athletic freak it's scary for defenses to game plan for him, out of nowhere he could bust out run for a 40 yard gain. He doesn't commit much turnovers. Hell of an arm. It's just pocket presence and progressions are an issue and I was hoping for them to improve this year but haven't seen much improvement ..For ex. Last throw vs Seattle Davis was pretty open for like a 7-8 yard gain. And Patton, omg was he open for an easy gain of 10+ yards. I like him, he can do enough to win. But no way am I for locking him with a contract of more than a 10m a year for 5 years max.. I know that's steep but if we have a qb who in a few years begins to get slower won't be a much of a threat will then be mediocre. He had some games going through progressions but you gotta go through 2-3 progressions. I wouldn't mind locking him up for a reasonable contract for sure. But if he wants more than that. Trade him to someone like Oakland Minnesota texans Cleveland someone .

Boldin- he is just a monster and knows the game. Yes, he will want money but brings the leadership and makes big plays and a 2/12m dollar contract is def reasonable. getting older but I would rather have him right now and draft 2 wr and let them develop with a vet and crab and trade crab or let him walk next year causes he's in for the money.

Whitner- he probly had his best year as a pro this last year with us. He hits hard, well in coverage. Has a good bit of penalties but some really aren't his fault. Brings leadership but I would definitely let him walk if he's too much. I think he'll be replaced with someone like bucannon this year in the draft . If he's willing to stay for a 2 year 6-7 m contract then sure but I don't think he would like that. So he probably walks.

Aldon- is a must keep. hopefully for cheap and we get protection from his off-field issues. It would be a huge win if we get him for much cheaper due to those issues.

rogers- Gone no questions about it. gave up a huge play here and the last couple games hes played and plus getting paid 20x more than sherman is this year. ( hahah i know)

These are just my thoughts , overall if the contacts are right about the same as mine I would be happy if not. Trade crabs hopefully his production would get Atleast a 2nd if not a first and with iupati would be worth a 2-3 for some teams and kaepernick, see what his contract is like and if he wants a cutler type contract, trade him this year for a 1st this year and next year and find a more athletic pocket passer in this draft or the next . But any of these players could be replaced pretty easily except kaepernick . I would like kaepernick to stay but dont be crazy and give him some baseball contract.

P.s. I typed this all out of my phone and it was pretty hard and annoying. Excuse me for messing up somewhere here and there
Sorry...but if you think you're getting Kap for $10 M max per year, you just lost your GM card, even on Madden. Really?

He's 26, he's started a year and a half, he's taken you to a SB and to the NFC Championship Game and been within a play of winning both. He also hasn't missed a start or a play due to injury. For that matter, in what most around here are considering a down year for Kap, he finished 10th in the standard QB Rating and 7th if you go by ESPN's Total QBR (He was 3rd in Total QBR for the playoffs behind Manning and Alex Smith, by the way). With the exception of the Seattle game, he has played his best in the playoffs and he still had the 49ers in position to win in Seattle where he made his mistakes but he also carried the entire offense both rushing and passing.

Now take all of that and consider how much better he can be. What other young QB has done all of that? Maybe Wilson if he wins the SB but even Luck threw 7 INTs in 2 games in the playoffs this year against a fading KC defense and an average at best Patriots defense.

Compare Kap's accomplishments against Cutler's, Romo's, Matt Ryan and it becomes pretty clear that Kap is going to get paid a lot closer to Cutler's deal than $10M and that's a good thing. That means the 49ers have their franchise QB for the next 8-10 years.

The other part to this is...who is going to replace him if the 49ers did trade him for draft picks? There certainly aren't any FA QB's better than Kap so are you going to start a rookie QB next year? And, if so, do you really think Bridgewater, Manzel (assuming you could even get in position to draft either) or any other first round QB is going to give you a better chance to win a SB next year and beyond? On what basis could you possibly think that? You really want to trust a rookie QB to go into Green Bay, Seattle, New Orleans and win the game for you?

Kap is the 49ers franchise QB for at least the next 5 years barring a major, career ending type of injury. The 49ers will deal with the salary cap ramifications of what that means and go from there.
Originally posted by kem99:
Sorry...but if you think you're getting Kap for $10 M max per year, you just lost your GM card, even on Madden. Really?

He's 26, he's started a year and a half, he's taken you to a SB and to the NFC Championship Game and been within a play of winning both. He also hasn't missed a start or a play due to injury. For that matter, in what most around here are considering a down year for Kap, he finished 10th in the standard QB Rating and 7th if you go by ESPN's Total QBR (He was 3rd in Total QBR for the playoffs behind Manning and Alex Smith, by the way). With the exception of the Seattle game, he has played his best in the playoffs and he still had the 49ers in position to win in Seattle where he made his mistakes but he also carried the entire offense both rushing and passing.

Now take all of that and consider how much better he can be. What other young QB has done all of that? Maybe Wilson if he wins the SB but even Luck threw 7 INTs in 2 games in the playoffs this year against a fading KC defense and an average at best Patriots defense.

Compare Kap's accomplishments against Cutler's, Romo's, Matt Ryan and it becomes pretty clear that Kap is going to get paid a lot closer to Cutler's deal than $10M and that's a good thing. That means the 49ers have their franchise QB for the next 8-10 years.

The other part to this is...who is going to replace him if the 49ers did trade him for draft picks? There certainly aren't any FA QB's better than Kap so are you going to start a rookie QB next year? And, if so, do you really think Bridgewater, Manzel (assuming you could even get in position to draft either) or any other first round QB is going to give you a better chance to win a SB next year and beyond? On what basis could you possibly think that? You really want to trust a rookie QB to go into Green Bay, Seattle, New Orleans and win the game for you?

Kap is the 49ers franchise QB for at least the next 5 years barring a major, career ending type of injury. The 49ers will deal with the salary cap ramifications of what that means and go from there.

theres a sentiment after seeing what harbs did with alex and did with kaep that we could take a qb in the first few rounds and let him work his magic. i for one am against it. we took like 10 years to find our guy, i wouldnt nickle and dime him. its a double edged sword, they can say we`re deep in the playoffs cus of a loaded roster, and whatever else, but to me he isnt mark sanchez and by that i mean a qb in the conf title game 1st two seasons and then a huge fall off after the fact. i value winning playoff games and we`re seeing lots of qbs get paid a lot based off of 1 playoff win or even less.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
I like whitner, dude is a beast and I would be disappointed to see him leave but I would understand if the team went in a different direction
Rogers Is the only one I think we should let go regardless unless he is willing to take a huge pay cut. Like half.

Whitner we should keep if possible. That said, there's a LOT of safeties in the market this season. Iupati we should keep if possible but I won't cry if he goes for a payday. Snyder has been ok. But it is a drop.

We can't afford to lose the others.
any thought of kap leaving is stupid. If they offer him 10 mil a year he will laugh in their face. He's been 10's of millions underpaid for the last 2 years now you would come in and lowball the guy? Think upwards from 15 mil a year for a starting point.
You re-sign Kap, Boldin, and Aldon Smith this year.

Rogers is gone. Whitner may be back, but for far less than market. I can see the 49ers drafting heavily for the secondary this year to replace both players.

Iupati is the guy left out, in my opinion. Our tackles are locked up and we aren't going to commit $60 million for a guard - even a very good one. I trust Harbaugh and his staff to find a cheaper replacement without significant fall off from Iupati.

Crabtree - question mark. He's going to want big money but we technically have him for two more years before he hits the market. I can see the team making him play through his rookie deal and even franchising him in 2015 assuming that they haven't drafted his replacement by then.

Again, the draft will be focused on OL, secondary, and WR. With a developmental QB and a Harbaugh "special" mixed in - i.e. a TE or DE he will take on as a H-Back project. Don't forget we have Carradine and Lattimore, so I don't see them drafting for these positions or even drafting for Bowman's short-term replacement - I think they move Skuta to ILB while Bowman is out.

Originally posted by outside4949:
any thought of kap leaving is stupid. If they offer him 10 mil a year he will laugh in their face. He's been 10's of millions underpaid for the last 2 years now you would come in and lowball the guy? Think upwards from 15 mil a year for a starting point.

we should pay the dude this offseason and then revel in the fact that seattle has to wait another season to pay wilson and it will cost them more based on a little inflation and maybe having a ring. he`ll get paid and wilson will get a bit more and we`ll come out ahead in the long run.
1. Kaep - essential
2. Aldon - essential, if his head is right
3. Whitner - In his prime, and probably won't get big bucks as a free agent
4.Boldin - great player, but will get paid too much as a free agent
5. Crabs - injury prone, and will want huge $$$
6.Iupati - good baller, but will probably get paid too much as a free agent
7. Rogers - over the hill
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
theres a sentiment after seeing what harbs did with alex and did with kaep that we could take a qb in the first few rounds and let him work his magic. i for one am against it. we took like 10 years to find our guy, i wouldnt nickle and dime him. its a double edged sword, they can say we`re deep in the playoffs cus of a loaded roster, and whatever else, but to me he isnt mark sanchez and by that i mean a qb in the conf title game 1st two seasons and then a huge fall off after the fact. i value winning playoff games and we`re seeing lots of qbs get paid a lot based off of 1 playoff win or even less.

That sentiment ignores that Harbaugh was responsible for picking Kap and the fact he stuck with Kap after the Smith injury further showed that Kap is his guy. It also ignores that Kap sat for the the first year and a half and you would be asking any rookie QB to come in and pick up what we've been told is a pretty complicated offense.

Any comparisons to Mark Sanchez end at the fact that both won road playoff games. Sanchez was a game manager for the Jets. Notwithstanding his slump in the middle of this season, Kap has been anything but a game manager, especially in the playoffs.

It is the same kind of sentiment that assumed because the 49ers had gone from Montana to Young and then uncovered Garcia that of course Tim Rattay would be the next great 49er QB. There's a reason you don't see any young quality starting QB's become free agents and/or are rarely traded (Cutler being an exception).
Originally posted by Tman:
I like whitner, dude is a beast and I would be disappointed to see him leave but I would understand if the team went in a different direction

He's gonna want that Goldson money.
Originally posted by kem99:
Originally posted by crabman82:

That sentiment ignores that Harbaugh was responsible for picking Kap and the fact he stuck with Kap after the Smith injury further showed that Kap is his guy. It also ignores that Kap sat for the the first year and a half and you would be asking any rookie QB to come in and pick up what we've been told is a pretty complicated offense.

Any comparisons to Mark Sanchez end at the fact that both won road playoff games. Sanchez was a game manager for the Jets. Notwithstanding his slump in the middle of this season, Kap has been anything but a game manager, especially in the playoffs.

It is the same kind of sentiment that assumed because the 49ers had gone from Montana to Young and then uncovered Garcia that of course Tim Rattay would be the next great 49er QB. There's a reason you don't see any young quality starting QB's become free agents and/or are rarely traded (Cutler being an exception).

i agree with you 100%. i was just saying if you want to paint the picture of kaepernick being carried and coddled by this team to deep playoff runs, the example will be mark sanchez. for my money i`m totally baffled theres people who would move on the kid or let him play out the final year of his deal and see what happens. but i guess when you have a qb guru like harbaugh, people just think he can turn any 3rd rounder into a sufficient qb for this team. i dont think its thats simple.
Share 49ersWebzone