There are 216 users in the forums

Off Season Thoughts

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Off Season Thoughts

Whitner brings nothing but excessive penalties and HORRID pass coverage. Heck I'd even give Dahl a a shot alongside Reid to be the starter while a draft pick is being groomed. Sure Whitner had some devastating hits, but he had HUGE lapses in coverage that broke our backs.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Whitner brings nothing but excessive penalties and HORRID pass coverage. Heck I'd even give Dahl a a shot alongside Reid to be the starter while a draft pick is being groomed. Sure Whitner had some devastating hits, but he had HUGE lapses in coverage that broke our backs.

You will most likely get your wish. I see Dahl starting next year and letting Whitner walk. I'm not that worried as long as Tank and Dial are ready to go and can create a nasty rotation on the line.

You don't need the most awesome secondary guys if the boys up front rain terror.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Riot:
Unless you have an Adrian Peterson the days of the featured back are over. They're just too easily replaceable to invest in heavily.

Pretty much. I'd rather have average to good RB with a great OL than a great RB with an average to mediocre OL.

The better investment is to invest in your line.
Kap keep
Crab Keep
Quan Keep
Aldon Keep.

Let Go Fast
Whitner
Iupati
Carlos

Agree with this but i'm not starting Dahl
  • kray28
  • Veteran
If you let go of Whitner, you better have a starting strong safety lined up in the draft. I just don't know that another Reid is waiting in the wings in this draft though.
Originally posted by Geeked:

You will most likely get your wish. I see Dahl starting next year and letting Whitner walk. I'm not that worried as long as Tank and Dial are ready to go and can create a nasty rotation on the line.

You don't need the most awesome secondary guys if the boys up front rain terror.

whitner may very well be gone. but in 2012 the rams led the league in sacks, or were at least in the top 3, dahl was still brutle
Originally posted by kray28:
If you let go of Whitner, you better have a starting strong safety lined up in the draft. I just don't know that another Reid is waiting in the wings in this draft though.

This. Making Dahl the starter would be a huge mistake
Without a doubt Keep:

Kap - any discussion of letting him go is delusional
Crabs - This will definitely come down to the $$$
Boldin - IMO,he has 2 very good years ahead. If we can get another quality receiver in draft he won't get as much double coverage. Let's face it, if we didn't have Boldin this season we wouldn't have even made the playoffs.

Adios:

Whitner - playing some excellent ball BUT 29 years old AND not great in pass coverage. Bucchanon in the draft would be an excellent pick up replacement ANF save lots of $$$
Originally posted by Geeked:

It depends on how much Whitner is willing to play for. I believe Whitner was brought in by Baalke when he signed him from Buffalo??? So I think Trent like Whit. Also last year it didn't sound like Goldson was receiving much feed back from the front office about his future with the team. From reports that I have heard, the front office wants to retain him at the right price. I hope he stays. I thought he wasn't that good but he played really well this season with Reid in the backfield.

He does pick up one personal foul per game but I don't think many of them are his fault. You could tell he was trying to adjust to the new rules and lead with his shoulder. He was still getting flagged for that though. He can keep adjusting and learn how to hit better and then when he injures a player in the knee the league can call him a dirty player.
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
Iupati may be traded, however he may also be able to be had for a smaller price tag. He is still a good player. His trade value will be impacted by his performance this season and his recent history of injury. Also, we may be able to get a decent compensatory pick by letting him walk after next season. Another thing to look at is the talent we already have on the OL. It's going to be expensive to keep them all together and putting in a new piece every few years will keep the price tag down. I think the core of the o-line is Staley, Boone and Davis. Goodwin may not be back for next season so we will probably be taking a center in this years draft. Thats why i don't think we trade Iupati. Replacing 2/5 of the oline in one offseason and expecting two rookies to keep the line going is a bit much to ask.

I don't think we can put any college WR on Crabtree's level. Its such a crap shoot at the skill positions. I think if we trade Crabtree, or let him leave via FA, we need a better long term WR on the roster first but I don't think that is going to happen. He will be resigned. As far as the offense goes, he is one of the players holding the championship window open for us.

Everyone is losing their minds over Kaepernick. He just completed his second season as starter. Give him time to grow as a player before discarding him. Like it or not he is our franchise qb. In 2 years when he is standing in the pocket and picking defenses apart we are going to look back and laugh our butts off.

We need to resign Boldin. I think we have it right with him, crabs and patton.

As for Whitner, he seems like a high character guy who values winning a championship. He improved a ton this year and helped Reid develop into a pro bowl caliber safety as a rookie. While he may not be had for dirt cheep, i don't think he will demand we break the bank. He will probably get a back loaded contract with a ton of incentives and a nice signing bonus. I expect us to take a safety either this year or next to push him and learn from him, and eventually replace him.

Makes perfect sense, I forgot about possible compensatory pick for iupati next year. and definitely dont want to have 2/5 of the line changed unless of course we got some first rd pick or something crazy or early 2nd for him. and as far as kaepernick, i do see him staying for sure, but if dont want a crazy contract that i think he might want. and awesome point on whitner, backloaded contract with a safety like buccannon to replace in the next year or 2. I also feel we should go after 2 recievers in the draft in case crabs asks for a contract of 12m a year or so.

I definitely dont want Dahl back there. he was in there for one play against titans and johnson took off for that long 70+yd screen td pass. and whitner is def a top 10 safety this year. he gave up some big plays but not on a normal basis and his penalites are annyoing but i would rather have him on a short backloaded contract and let a guy like buccanon who is very physical and plays the ball well.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Without a doubt Keep:

Kap - any discussion of letting him go is delusional
Crabs - This will definitely come down to the $$$
Boldin - IMO,he has 2 very good years ahead. If we can get another quality receiver in draft he won't get as much double coverage. Let's face it, if we didn't have Boldin this season we wouldn't have even made the playoffs.

Adios:

Whitner - playing some excellent ball BUT 29 years old AND not great in pass coverage. Bucchanon in the draft would be an excellent pick up replacement ANF save lots of $$$

true. Im not saying kick kaepernick out. but if he is looking at anywhere near a rodgers or flacco contract, trade him. but other wise for a reasonable contract i would love to keep him, he will only get better.
[ Edited by DJamhour on Jan 23, 2014 at 9:29 AM ]
Crabs - keep
Kap - keep
Boldin - keep
Iupati - let go
Whitner - keep if possible
Rogers - let go
Aldon - keep
Kap for sure and it will probably be cheaper now than if you wait a year and he takes us to another good record and the playoffs.

Crabs is a must because a QB needs a trusted wr.

Boldin because that's what we intended for this year. To have Crab and Boldin on either side and VD up the middle. It would have been fun to watch. Boldin had one of his best years so resign him and lets do it again.

Whit is possible...

Aldon keep but I say let him play out the rookie contract and see if he stays clean off the field. You can always franchise tag him the following year as well so you have 2 years to figure it out.

Rogers is gone. Its nothing against him but he got hurt and we might have been better without him. we can replace him in the draft.

Iupati I think could be replaced in the 1st round. We do like a strong oline but if you let him walk in free agency, you can replace him with a new stud at guard and you will get the new guy on a rookie contract for the first 4 years. Fans will probably want a flashy player with our 1st pick, like a wr or db, but replacing the Oline is cheap and easy.
aldon and kap for sure. i think we make a choice on boldin or crabtree. both bring similar things to the table and have good chemistry with kap. a year ago i would have said we definitely keep crabtree because of the way he bonded with kap, but now i think money might be a huge issue. we draft a potential #1 or #2 receiver to replace crabs or boldin and we still go into next season with a good core of receivers with vd, crabs or boldin, mcdonald, patton, and whoever we draft. if iupati will work with us, we should keep the nucleus of our o-line tigether if possible. same with whitner, try to keep short term but prepare a replacement, someone with better cover skills and who'll get less illegal hit penalties. unfortunately the game has changed and a great hitter like him is sometimes a liability. rogers gone.
Crabs - keep
Kap - keep
Boldin - keep
Iupati - let go
Whitner - keep if possible
Rogers - let go
Aldon - keep

I think most people would agree with this.
Share 49ersWebzone