LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Off Season Thoughts

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Off Season Thoughts

1. Sign Kaep long term. Yeah, he does need to improve his footwork and awareness, but the 9ers haven't even scratched the surface of his talent.
2. Try LMJ at slot receiver. He could be a faster, stronger Welker.
3. Update the passing attack. Bo will forgive you.
4. Draft a couple of corners with the top draft picks.
5. Remove the fade to Crabs from the playbook.
The Nolan, Singletary legacy, Large physical teams with a power run, deep pass offense. Linemen better at power blocking and Pass Pro, then at pulling, zone blocking, and stretch running. Big physical wide outs able to block and play possession football. Harbaugh inherited this team, with these players in place. The problem with this team is the legacy.

Jim Harbaugh has tried to bring in speed at the running back and wide out positions, but ultimately that speed is wasted. Our running attack with Frank Gore as a the bell cow, is a one trick pony. Frank, and our linemen are best suited for power I-formation running. Power running generally has tighter line splits, the gaps between the O-linemen. This causes defenses to tighten up as well, this is why it looks like we are running plays in a phone booth. This tight formation favors the strong, and allowed a younger Frank Gore to dominate.

This style of football also allows defenses to pack the box both interns of depth, and width. This narrow box formed by the defense should allow us to then bounce outside and gain the edge. This is where we fail as a running team. Frank has never posed an outside running threat, and our current O-linmen lack the speed to pull to make our lateral run game a threat. Another draw back of our aged Bell Cow it that Frank has always run best with a fullback lead.

Having the need for a blocking fullback, limits our personal packages. In the past we took advantage of defensive personal, with Delainie Walker, our two tight end package with a fullback, forced teams to play run, and we could then pass from this look taking advantage of the miss match, we did not have that luxury this season.
I think coach Harbaugh wants to run east west, as much as we do north south, this would bring balance to our running attack.

We have wasted Hunter, and LMJ putting them behind this slow plodding O-line. It is my opinion, that we should be looking to a smaller more agile O-line. We should run more toss sweep, jet motion, and off tackle, attacking at angles rather than straight ahead all the time. This is not to say we should stop running power, we need to find balance. These smaller more agile linemen generally are a liability in pass pro, but with a QB like Kaepernick, pass pro is not as important. I would like to see what Boone can do at right tackle, and Snyder at left guard, with Kilgore at center and Loony at right guard.

I picture an offense with, Latimore, Hunter, LMJ, Hampton as running backs, and Miller and Dixon as fullbacks. Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Jacobs, and Osgood as receivers. Giving me Davis, MacDonald, and a rookie "twiner" in the mold of Delainie Walker,as my tight ends. I think this group would be terrific able to stretch the field vertically and horizontally. I hope Kaepernick can develop a short passing game, and improve his accuracy, this will be key to his development.

As for our defense, I think the future is bright on this side of the ball. Adding depth at corner, safety and interior D-line will be critical in the draft, but most of all Fangio must continue to adapt to the pro game. Fangio must learn to pressure the pocket more, and not to be complacent with our run defense, more agrreseveness in play calling is warranted. Mostly I feel good about this team, and the direction we are heading.
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Jan 22, 2014 at 4:26 PM ]
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
The Nolan, Singletary legacy, Large physical teams with a power run, deep pass offense. Linemen better at power blocking and Pass Pro, then at pulling, zone blocking, and stretch running. Big physical wide outs able to block and play possession football. Harbaugh inherited this team, with these players in place. The problem with this team is the legacy.

Jim Harbaugh has tried to bring in speed at the running back and wide out positions, but ultimately that speed is wasted. Our running attack with Frank Gore as a the bell cow, is a one trick pony. Frank, and our linemen are best suited for power I-formation running. Power running generally has tighter line splits, the gaps between the O-linemen. This causes defenses to tighten up as well, this is why it looks like we are running plays in a phone booth. This tight formation favors the strong, and allowed a younger Frank Gore to dominate.

This style of football also allows defenses to pack the box both interns of depth, and width. This narrow box formed by the defense should allow us to then bounce outside and gain the edge. This is where we fail as a running team. Frank has never posed an outside running threat, and our current O-linmen lack the speed to pull to make our lateral run game a threat. Another draw back of our aged Bell Cow it that Frank has always run best with a fullback lead.

Having the need for a blocking fullback, limits our personal packages. In the past we took advantage of defensive personal, with Delainie Walker, our two tight end package with a fullback, forced teams to play run, and we could then pass from this look taking advantage of the miss match, we did not have that luxury this season.
I think coach Harbaugh wants to run east west, as much as we do north south, this would bring balance to our running attack.

We have wasted Hunter, and LMJ putting them behind this slow plodding O-line. It is my opinion, that we should be looking to a smaller more agile O-line. We should run more toss sweep, jet motion, and off tackle, attacking at angles rather than straight ahead all the time. This is not to say we should stop running power, we need to find balance. These smaller more agile linemen generally are a liability in pass pro, but with a QB like Kaepernick, pass pro is not as important. I would like to see what Boone can do at right tackle, and Snyder at left guard, with Kilgore at center and Loony at right guard.

I picture an offense with, Latimore, Hunter, LMJ, Hampton as running backs, and Miller and Dixon as fullbacks. Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Jacobs, and Osgood as receivers. Giving me Davis, MacDonald, and a rookie "twiner" in the mold of Delainie Walker,as my tight ends. I think this group would be terrific able to stretch the field vertically and horizontally. I hope Kaepernick can develop a short passing game, and improve his accuracy, this will be key to his development.

As for our defense, I think the future is bright on this side of the ball. Adding depth at corner, safety and interior D-line will be critical in the draft, but most of all Fangio must continue to adapt to the pro game. Fangio must learn to pressure the pocket more, and not to be complacent with our run defense, more agrreseveness in play calling is warranted. Mostly I feel good about this team, and the direction we are heading.

Good post. Excellent analysis. I think we got the future depth at D line with Carradine and Dial added to the guys already there. Cowboy has at least one more good year, I hope.

I think Boone is more suited to a tackle position--and I'd love to see him at RT, but AD is signed for a couple more years isn't he? Gonna be some interesting changes, especially on the offensive side. IMHO.
Sorry. Double post.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Jan 22, 2014 at 4:35 PM ]
  • thl408

I like your explanation of the smaller gaps due to being a power run team. This also does not help pass protection when they line up in power run formations, then pass out of them. Normally, when the Olinemen can have decent spacing between one another, pass pro will be aided. When they line up tight like you stated, this does the LT/RT no favors as edge rushers can attack the outside shoulder with speed. ADavis has trouble with this.

You touched on a good point in that Harbaugh does value speed from the skill positions. QB, RB (LMJ, Hunter), WR (AJJ). He saw the lack of speed at the RB/WR positions and tried to draft it. The plodding, powerful Oline is nice, but a quicker, more agile Oline will expand the playbook to more east/west plays, again, like you stated. Good take, GolittaCamper.
Originally posted by thl408:

I like your explanation of the smaller gaps due to being a power run team. This also does not help pass protection when they line up in power run formations, then pass out of them. Normally, when the Olinemen can have decent spacing between one another, pass pro will be aided. When they line up tight like you stated, this does the LT/RT no favors as edge rushers can attack the outside shoulder with speed. ADavis has trouble with this.

You touched on a good point in that Harbaugh does value speed from the skill positions. QB, RB (LMJ, Hunter), WR (AJJ). He saw the lack of speed at the RB/WR positions and tried to draft it. The plodding, powerful Oline is nice, but a quicker, more agile Oline will expand the playbook to more east/west plays, again, like you stated. Good take, GolittaCamper.

I really don't have a problem with the power run/big o-line philosophy. This team has ranked 4th and 3rd in rushing the past 2 seasons. We've average 5.1 and 4.4 yards-per-carry. These are extremely good numbers, and not indicative of a team that is wasting their running backs. I agree we can make better use of Hunter and LMJ by giving them more snaps, but I don't agree the scheme is hindering them. They've been productive when given an opportunity.

As for pass protection, you're correct in that we don't do our guys any favors by passing out of tight run formations. It puts a lot of stress on the tackles against edge rushers. This is where I'd like to see us expand the passing schemes, so we can line up in passing formations and throw, rather than be so heavily reliant on play-action out of run formations. Denver's offensive line is massive too, but they get the job done protecting Manning. No reason our line can't do the same.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 22, 2014 at 4:57 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:

Good point about the speed rusher attacking on our edges, tight splits don't help there either.

I feel something great coming next year, the window is open, and getting wider! 3 years, 3 NFC Championship appearances, not other head coach can say that!

Go Niners!
Let go of Carlos Rogers($6.6 mil) move Cully back to safety with Eric Reid try to sign Vontae Davis and either Walter Thurmond or Brandon Browner if the league reinstates him for cheap.

Cut Wr Baldwin and Craig Dahl $3 mil in savings.

Restructure Vernon Davis, Patrick Willis Ray Mc Donald and Frank Gore.
We can free up about 24 million in cap space to play with

Resign Boldin for 2 yr 10mill plus signing bonuses to keep his cap number down. (Incentives)
Lock up either kaepernick, Crabtree, or Aldon now before there value increases.
Pick up Toby Gerhart to be our new Bruce Miller.. Go After Eric Decker for the right price

Build through the draft! Lol just my thoughts. . Hopefully we can get guys for cheap that want to win a championship ala Jared Allen.. Our front office always surprises so whatever happens I'm pretty sure they make the right decision..
[ Edited by pho_t_9er on Jan 22, 2014 at 5:41 PM ]
I'd like to see us open up the passing game a little more. I think most of us agree that having Kaepernick improve the mental aspects of being a QB is the best way to #6. Roman will probably gone and we can draft a quality prospect at wide receiver, this guy needs to have big play ability and speed. It seems we really lack that one guy who can take it to the house anytime he gets the ball. I think LaMichael was suppose to be that guy, but I've given up on him. Rogers has to go. I'd like to get more take always on D. Hate to say it, but we should really prepare to replace Frank, whether that means the draft, FA, Lattimore.
Originally posted by pho_t_9er:
Let go of Carlos Rogers($6.6 mil) move Cully back to safety with Eric Reid try to sign Vontae Davis and either Walter Thurmond or Brandon Browner if the league reinstates him for cheap.

Resign Boldin for 2 yr 10mill plus signing bonuses to keep his cap number down. (Incentives)
Pick up Toby Gerhart to be our new Bruce Miller.. Go After Eric Decker for the right price

Build through the draft! Lol just my thoughts. . Hopefully we can get guys for cheap that want to win a championship ala Jared Allen.. Our front office always surprises so whatever happens I'm pretty sure they make the right decision..

lol, nice handle.

Here is an interesting article on Belichick. There's something to be learned here. The article talks about Belichick signing opponent clones to his practice squad and plays against them. That's how he beats the opposing team in the real game.

"Ahead of their playoff game against the Indianapolis Colts last weekend, the New England Patriots signed to their practice squad someone named Reggie Dunn.

Dunn is an undrafted, unheralded wide receiver. But he also is roughly the same height, weight and speed as Colts receiver T.Y. Hilton, who had scorched the Kansas City Chiefs with 13 catches for 224 yards and two touchdowns in the wild-card round.

As a practice-squad Patriot, Dunn was charged with imitating Hilton, giving New England's defense a head start. Apparently it worked: In a 43-22 win over the Colts, the Patriots held Hilton to four catches for 104 yards."

http://online.wsj.com/news/article_email/SB10001424052702304419104579322564133750866-lMyQjAxMTA0MDEwNjExNDYyWj
[ Edited by GoldenChips on Jan 22, 2014 at 7:53 PM ]
The dumbest thing I have read on here(when posters are being serious) is getting rid of Gore. Who on earth is gonna take his spot. Lattimore is not proven yet and hasnt played a snap in the NFL. Who knows if Hunter is an every down back. After that they have nobody.
Originally posted by teylo31:
The dumbest thing I have read on here(when posters are being serious) is getting rid of Gore. Who on earth is gonna take his spot. Lattimore is not proven yet and hasnt played a snap in the NFL. Who knows if Hunter is an every down back. After that they have nobody.

Agreed.....let's wait till Lattimore makes it through a season of football,(healthy) please.....LOL
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pho_t_9er:

Some nice thoughts there, speak your mind, it's all good. BUT, the only thing about your comment that I'm not okay with are the ones in bold.

Those two won't be any good to us since we don't allow our players to take PEDS... once they play by the rules on a legit team with legit coaches, they won't perform as well w/out being all jacked up on drugs!
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by 4ML:
Not extending Crab or Kap or Aldon this off-season is not an option for us. We must try to get one of these guys extended, if not two.

Man...franchising Kap next year is NOT basically a 2 year 10.5 million dollar contract The cap hit will be 20M next year for the franchise tag. We can't do that. We should extend Kap to $14-15M a year contract for 4 seasons...with incentives to make as much as $16-17M year.

This is the best time to extend Crabtree too. His value will only go up for here.

Extending Aldon is something I'll hold off on. He has to prove that he can stay out of trouble and tag for LBs is about $9Mas. We may be able to afford that cap hit.

We should let Iupati go after next year if he wants a huge deal.

...and Carlos Rogers should be a goner. I'll be surprised if he is on the team making 6+ million dollars. We need the money to sign these young guys. I'm not sure how we keep Frank for his current contract also. He has to restructure imho.

Sounds about right.

Need to get Kap signed now to a long term contract. When he get's better we're not going to be able to afford the team we have around him..so get him locked up long term now. Preferably a 5 year contract that we can terminate after 3 years if he doesn't become the Qb most of us think he can be.

Absolutely agree on Crabs. Contractually speaking we're probably lucky that he's been fighting injuries his whole career. Lock him up long term 6 year contract. 5-6 million a year. That's top 10 money now, but won't be in 2 years.

I think we gotta try to get Boldin back who won't take less than Crabs, but he might be willing to let us play money games with a large signing bonus with a smaller base and a 3-4 year contract that doesn't hurt us at the end of it.

I'm not sure if we get Brown back. He's going to test free agency and could get an offer that we can't match. If we can be close, he'll probably come back. The good news is that there are probably 8 CBs that are better than Brown.

Whitner I think we can get back too as the market is flooded with safeties.

Dawson we're gonna have to pay.

Manningham is gone. Goodwin gone. Rogers gone. Dixon I think will be gone, I hope not...but we have too many backs...maybe we trade LMJ if Lattimore shines early? Then we have return problems again..so I doubt it.

Eric Wright probably stays if Rogers, Brown or both are gone.

This looks realistic. I have my doubts about EW making the team after losing being low man on the depth chart by season's end.

This. I agree with pretty much everything. Would like to have Whitner back (played surprisingly well this year) if he doesn't demand a big contract. He's 28...so may like to cash in.
Share 49ersWebzone