There are 140 users in the forums

Off Season Thoughts

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Off Season Thoughts

Whitner: Too expensive to resign
Rogers: Too expensive
Goodwin: Young Center ready to play (Kilgore)
Brown: Too expensive
Hunter: Only one year left on rookie deal and they'll need space for Lattimore and probably a rookie. I think he gets traded
Dixon: Same as Hunter, but I think he'll leave as free agent
Baldwin: Cut
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM ]
The only one i would be disappointed if he left is Boldin. And Dawson. But other than that, we can replace
I wouldn't mind seeing Whitner, Rogers, and Brown all walk. Whitner played much better this season than in recent history, but he's still a liability where we need him the most. I'd be happy to see Baalke put 75% of his free agency and draft resources into building the secondary.
Brown Rogers And Whitner is gonna put our secondary in a complete overhaul and that seems really dangerous without any proven full season depth left except Culliver(coming off injury) and Reid.
Originally posted by teylo31:
Brown Rogers And Whitner is gonna put our secondary in a complete overhaul and that seems really dangerous without any proven full season depth left except Culliver(coming off injury) and Reid.

you got cully and brock at the cb's and reid as 1 safety. you're replacing 1 starter essentially in whitner. cully does replace brown or rogers, but seeing as hes a cb with lots of time playing in our system its not really a new starter, just getting a guy who was injured back.
[ Edited by crabman82 on Jan 21, 2014 at 12:04 PM ]

That is really dangerous and could tank our entire year. We got to resign some of them. We can't let them all go. A contender with a complete secondary overhaul. Very bad idea. Sounds like a rebuilding year.

We know those guys aren't good enough to be the long-term solution. Why draw the process out and extend the sub-optimal situation? Get a new group in to start meshing with the existing core and build that chemistry together. Don't add one piece per year because the acclimation process always takes time.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
we should bring back Whitner and Tbrown
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

That is really dangerous and could tank our entire year. We got to resign some of them. We can't let them all go. A contender with a complete secondary overhaul. Very bad idea. Sounds like a rebuilding year.

its not a complete over haul. whitner leaves and they try to plug that gap. it worked when goldson left. cully coming back cancels out brown leaving. and rogers is being cut cus of his pay and it was shown a guy like cox can do just as good of a job if not better than him at this point.
I wouldnt mind brown coming back but it has to be the right, reasonable price. If whitner leaves at least our scouting team proved we can pick the right safety.

I want Whitner back. He bleeds this team. He is the veteran presence we need in the secondary.
Speaking of this, when should we start to hear about signings, etc. When does FA open? March?
Originally posted by crabman82:

its not a complete over haul. whitner leaves and they try to plug that gap. it worked when goldson left. cully coming back cancels out brown leaving. and rogers is being cut cus of his pay and it was shown a guy like cox can do just as good of a job if not better than him at this point.

So because Eric Reid worked out you want to roll the dice again? We had to trade up to get him giving up valuable picks. This year we have huge CB, S, C, WR needs. We spend all our picks moving up for a Safety. You can bust to on those picks. We were lucky with Reid. It doesn't always work out. This secondary would be too young and inexperienced without Whitner. We need some veterans. You can't have all rookies and second year guys for a Super Bowl run. That's not prudent.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I think Rogers, Dixon, Goodwin, Baldwin and Brown are on the way out. Boldin and Dawson will return.

Whitner is the toughest one to call. That could go either way.
[ Edited by Hopper on Jan 21, 2014 at 12:27 PM ]
So because Eric Reid worked out you want to roll the dice again? We had to trade up to get him giving up valuable picks. This year we have huge CB, S, C, WR needs. We spend all our picks moving up for a Safety. You can bust to on those picks. We were lucky with Reid. It doesn't always work out. This secondary would be too young and inexperienced without Whitner. We need some veterans. You can't have all rookies and second year guys for a Super Bowl run. That's not prudent.

We're the 49ers! We can do whatever we want!

Seriously though, fortune favors the bold. I don't want to resign decent players just because it's safe. I want to resign decent players because they can improve and because the numbers work. Aside from Whitner, whose cap number might be prohibitive, I don't think those guys are worth it.
Share 49ersWebzone