LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

Off Season Thoughts

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Off Season Thoughts

• fryet
  • Veteran
What changes do you think the 49ers should make to make them better next year. My number one change is to replace Frank Gore as the starting RB. He is a very smart player, but his body just isn't strong/fast enough anymore. I think it is time to see what our backups have, and see if they can carry the load. What changes would you make?
you forgot the true only option.

FIRE EVERYBODY!!!
1) Need a new offensive system, and coach.

2) Promote me to HC.

3) Find a real PASSING QB in the draft/free agency.
An actual deep threat at WR, or two even.

A decision on what the hell they are going to do with LaMichael James. Either find a way to utilize him in the offense or trade him and bring in a speedy, change of pace back ala Ellington in Arizona that Roman would actually use.

Carlos Rogers, too expensive, too slow-footed, 49ers need to draft a cornerback or two, preferably one outside guy and one to play in the slot to combine with Culliver, Brown and Morris to fight it out in training camp.

Overhaul this offense and this goofy 1970's passing scheme. Send Kaepernick to QB School, instead of lifting weights he needs to be lifting playbooks and watching tape. Find ways to involve guys like McDonald, Patton and Hunter more in the offense.

Utilize the RB's a lot more in the passing game.

Fangio should continue blitzing, it has been very effective, not necessarily to go crazy with it but the way he's used it in the postseason has been very effective.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

A decision on what the hell they are going to do with LaMichael James. Either find a way to utilize him in the offense or trade him and bring in a speedy, change of pace back ala Ellington in Arizona that Roman would actually use.

Carlos Rogers, too expensive, too slow-footed, 49ers need to draft a cornerback or two, preferably one outside guy and one to play in the slot to combine with Culliver, Brown and Morris to fight it out in training camp.

Overhaul this offense and this goofy 1970's passing scheme. Send Kaepernick to QB School, instead of lifting weights he needs to be lifting playbooks and watching tape. Find ways to involve guys like McDonald, Patton and Hunter more in the offense.

Fangio should continue blitzing, it has been very effective, not necessarily to go crazy with it but the way he's used it in the postseason has been very effective.
Couldn't have said it any better, I just hope they don't draft Jenkins type wrs, fast wrs who don't care about the game and don't put in work.
Odell Beckham or Lee would go a long way to solving the deep threat. I think Patton will develop nicely but I would resign Boldin and also draft a big bodied WR, we have picks to spare. I agree with everything Phoenix said, in addition to integrating Hunter and Lattimore into the passing and running game. Hunter should be much better a season removed from his injury, now that he can trust his body again. It might take Lattimore a little more time but hopefully he can be our bell cow. I would also put PR as a pretty important need. LMJ was alright but I want someone who is a natural back there. We have so many picks, let's go after our needs, we are in a position where we don't need to draft BPA but can target the BPA at a position of need and go get them (as we did with Davis, Reid, etc.)
1a. Secondary 1b. WR. Which is the biggest need of these two will depend on who we lose in the offseason.

Anything else is a farrrrr second to those two things. But interior Oline is next after those two.

I also agree that i think the offensive system as a whole needs to be looked at in depth and things that thus far havent been addressed under Harbaugh need to be seriously addressed.
Shore up secondary, kick Rogers down the road.

We need one or two more talented wide outs, some speed, a legitimate downfield threat

A replacement for Bowman at Linebacker, he wont be back by next season.

New OC, and offensive game plan because the current one is terrible.

Someone to spell or replace Gore, hes getting up there in age.

Too many things and not enough money which is why they should not give Kap the farm.
I think a legitimate deep threat and some new ways to run the ball (scheme, personnel) will take us over the hump, combined with Kaepernick improving as a QB.

We have to find ways to prevent Vernon from being taken out of games.

As crucial as Crabtree and Boldin have been, it seems the games where Gore and Davis light it up, we almost always win and win big.

I think what that indicates is that the defense is not able to control our two key cogs.
a new OC, there is a plethora of guys who are realistic upgrades so I won't even get into names.
Our first pick should be a RB

P.S. I love Gore, and Roman not getting him the ball in the SB last season and today at the end is unforgiveable. Anybody who knows Gore should no that it does not matter what he does in any game in his previous attempts, he can make the clutch run ANYTIME.

Gore deserved 1 carry on the final drive last season and today too. Again, in my eyes there is simply no excuse(especially when you take into account our QB)

How bout we get a real Kick and Punt return guy? I know JH likes to keep it boring and safe but come on now......

check the drive summary.....1 drive started in SEA territory, but it was after a Turnover.......Our best starting position was our own 23 yard line
[ Edited by vamphunter23 on Jan 19, 2014 at 11:08 PM ]
  • Veteran
Change the offensive philosophy. OC has to go, we need a RB, NT, C, and a deep threat WR.
Bring back JTO.

Originally posted by 190836:
Change the offensive philosophy. OC has to go, we need a RB, NT, C, and a deep threat WR.

i dont see a deep threat receiver as a real need...right now kaepernick doesnt throw a real good deep ball (by my defintion, or way of thinking, 40 yards more is a deep ball)...he puts the ball too much on the line....he showed last year he can hit the intermediate passes (20-25 yard range), but as one of the fox crew said today he doesnt like to throw into tight windows...
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

This exactly.
Share 49ersWebzone