LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 335 users in the forums

Carlos Rogers RELEASED

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Psinex:
I'm with Eon. I don't know what game you guys were watching, but Terrell Brown, Cox and Brock got torched against the Packers and Panthers. In a game where stopping Marshawn Lynch and Turbin will be key, we need all the good tacklers we can get. Our pass rush is going to be supremely important, while maintaining their gaps so that Willow can't escape outside the pocket. They will have to push the edges but the linebackers will need to clean up the gap. If they can collapse the pocket up front at the same time, Willow will have to get rid of the ball quickly. If they get Harvin back, Whitner and Reid will need to wrap up and take their shots when it is safe.

I don't know about that one. Holding Aaron Rodgers to 177 yards passing is pretty good.
Originally posted by Psinex:
I'm with Eon. I don't know what game you guys were watching, but Terrell Brown, Cox and Brock got torched against the Packers and Panthers. In a game where stopping Marshawn Lynch and Turbin will be key, we need all the good tacklers we can get. Our pass rush is going to be supremely important, while maintaining their gaps so that Willow can't escape outside the pocket. They will have to push the edges but the linebackers will need to clean up the gap. If they can collapse the pocket up front at the same time, Willow will have to get rid of the ball quickly. If they get Harvin back, Whitner and Reid will need to wrap up and take their shots when it is safe.

Seriously? Rodgers had 177 yards, and when is the last time we held the Packers to 20 points?
Torched? WTF? Brown got beat on one play by a good WR. I don't call that torched. Now if Smith had 2 tds and 131 yards then he got torched. Cox gave up a big pass play in the Panthers game. Considereing they just signed him and all he gave up was one play doesn't mean he got burnt. And I'm not even a fan of Cox. I;d leave Brown and Brock in as starters and let Rogers work the slot
That ball was perfectly thrown as well. Brown did just miss it by a hair
Originally posted by lamontb:
Torched? WTF? Brown got beat on one play by a good WR. I don't call that torched. Now if Smith had 2 tds and 131 yards then he got torched. Cox gave up a big pass play in the Panthers game. Considereing they just signed him and all he gave up was one play doesn't mean he got burnt. And I'm not even a fan of Cox. I;d leave Brown and Brock in as starters and let Rogers work the slot

Please Fangio, this.
Brock and Brown will continue to start, and Cox will continue as the nickel, and only if Cox struggles will Rogers come in at nickel.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Holy crap. Rodgers had 177 yards and take out that 59 yard pass as time was expiring and Newton was at 208. The secondary got torched? Here's Rogers for the year; decent at tackling and run defense, bad in pass coverage.

• kem99
  • Veteran
For what it is worth...this came from a Maiocco story last week leading up to Carolina game after it became clear that Rogers was not likely to play.

"Rogers was tied for No. 1 during the NFL regular season with the New York Jets' Kyle Wilson and Pittsburgh's William Gay at allowing a reception one every 11.6 plays he lined up on the slot receiver, according to Pro Football Focus."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-rogers-not-expected-play-against-panthers

And, I seem to recall a few different times throughout the year that Rogers play in the slot was noted (in a positive way).

Most likely, if Rogers proves he's 100% in practice...Brown and Brock remain the starters. Rogers plays in the nickel and takes the slot.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
He's not getting his job back, book it. Dude has been terrible in coverage.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Harbaugh says he likes to roll with the hot hand. The other guys have been doing really well.

Originally posted by kentc1978:
That ball was perfectly thrown as well. Brown did just miss it by a hair

This. Great players make great plays. Cam & Steve Smith are great players. You can't stop a perfectly executed play
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Harbaugh says he likes to roll with the hot hand. The other guys have been doing really well.

his old job being a starter I agree with but as many on this thread have stated, Rogers is much better than Cox (and Wright for that matter) I'm betting if he's 100% healthy Brock/Brown start and Rogers come in as nickle back.
‏@TaylorPrice492m
Carlos Rogers said on @KNBR he's playing on Sunday and expects to play as nickel cornerback vs. Seattle.
Originally posted by matt49er:
‏@TaylorPrice492m
Carlos Rogers said on @KNBR he's playing on Sunday and expects to play as nickel cornerback vs. Seattle.

Sounds like he'll strictly be the nickel back. Brown and Brock remain on the outside.
Share 49ersWebzone