Carlos Rogers RELEASED

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Dare I suggest it. Browner?

Joey Browner?? ...he's been retired for some time now I believe ...JK BZ

I'd like to see a 6'4 CB covering slot receivers

eff Browner, he's only good with the seahawk's scheme. we don't run that, don't even come close. Browner would get burned left and right
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

eff Browner, he's only good with the seahawk's scheme. we don't run that, don't even come close. Browner would get burned left and right

Yeah press coverage and Cover 3 is all they do...but they do it to perfection. If we were to bring in Browner, perhaps Fangio would consider leaving him in press and allowing the rest to standard defensive alignments. Then again, with both Brock and Culliver, they too are best when in press and physical up at the LOS (Like Browner). So perhaps Fangio adjusts to the strengths of his players and also exploits the rules (loop hole) of the NFL like Seattle?
Originally posted by 49erTravis:
Ok I understand that, but we traded the contract and all rights to it. I thought dead money only applied to cut players. The Eagles need to pay that sum, not the niners, Please correct me if im wrong. Thanks....

The Eagles? You mean the Chiefs? And no, the 49ers are responsible for that amount, when a player is traded, all bonus money is accelerated to the team that gave the signing bonus, not the team trading for the player.

Example-I sign Player A for 5 years and 20 million with $5 million guaranteed, after 2 years, I trade Player A, any amount that remains of that $5 million guaranteed, I'm still on the hook for.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

Yeah press coverage and Cover 3 is all they do...but they do it to perfection. If we were to bring in Browner, perhaps Fangio would consider leaving him in press and allowing the rest to standard defensive alignments. Then again, with both Brock and Culliver, they too are best when in press and physical up at the LOS (Like Browner). So perhaps Fangio adjusts to the strengths of his players and also exploits the rules (loop hole) of the NFL like Seattle?

Another reason why I'll be satisfied when Rogers is shown the door. With Culliver coming back and presumably taking over the starting position next to Brock, we'll finally have two physical CBs that excel in press coverage which should allow us to play more press. Always thought Fangio's off coverage schemes were more out of necessity due to who he had at the time.

No chance Browner comes here though, he has beef with Harbs.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Mar 5, 2014 at 8:44 AM ]

I'm sorry, but did you just refer to Brock and Culliver as "also the best" at the LOS (Like Browner)? I disagree and don't think that either of those two are even in the same ballpark as the Hags group. They have like 4 corners that can play light years better than Cully and Brock. The level of physical at the line for those guys is the kind of physical where receivers go to the ground. I have seen both Cully and Brock just get punked by WR's, but I do think Brock is playing the ball better.
Originally posted by Rathmanator:

I'm sorry, but did you just refer to Brock and Culliver as "also the best" at the LOS (Like Browner)? I disagree and don't think that either of those two are even in the same ballpark as the Hags group. They have like 4 corners that can play light years better than Cully and Brock. The level of physical at the line for those guys is the kind of physical where receivers go to the ground. I have seen both Cully and Brock just get punked by WR's, but I do think Brock is playing the ball better.

Yes, I did...on our team, that is. No doubt Seattle has a very simple formula...go get 4 CB's all 6'3+ that excel in being physical up at the LOS and make each WR earn every inch on a passing play (and prison-rape them throughout the play, for at worst, a 5 yard illegal contact penalty). It works to perfection. You can put in Sherman, Browner, Thurmound, Maxwell, my uncle, etc. and it will work. Both Culliver and Brock are the two most physical CB's we have on the team and that's not even debatable. The discussion was re: if we acquired Browner would Fangio then also adopt to the NFL and instead of off-coverage, use both Browner + Culliver/Brock in constant press.

As to Cully/Brock, we do have small sample sizes of both in press b/c we don't play that much press. But it seems to suit their physical style better IMHO.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 5, 2014 at 11:01 AM ]
If the 49ers chose to release Rogers with a post-June 1 designation, the 49ers would save $6.6 million on the salary cap but he would count about $1.5 million in dead money on the 2015 cap. If the 49ers took the entire cap hit this year, the immediate cap savings would be $5.1 million and he would be completely off their books in future years.
I get the feeling we will choose to spread the hit over 2 years and wait to cut him and then use the 6.6 as part of an extension for a player. 2.989 is a big hit for us considering we had like 1.3 or whatever total last year for all players in dead money. Looks like we already have close to 2 mil in dead money most of it from trading Jenkins. If we would cut Rogers now thats 5 mil total in dead money. 3.5 with half is already enough. It's not a big deal for a lot of teams but we have done really well since Baalke took over only having 1-2 mil in dead money a year. It results from giving out good contracts to the right players and Paraag doing a nice job on the business end of it. In the Donahue years we had 5-7+ some of those years. Although compared to the Raiders at 50 mil last year that looks good.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 8, 2014 at 10:53 AM ]
If he wants to take a pay cut.......maybe

With Cully coming off a knee injury and T. Brown among the FA. Not sure that the Niners can afford to just let Carlos go. If he can take a pay cut, they will bring him back. Brock is the only sure thing right now at CB
  • Kelv
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
If the 49ers chose to release Rogers with a post-June 1 designation, the 49ers would save $6.6 million on the salary cap but he would count about $1.5 million in dead money on the 2015 cap. If the 49ers took the entire cap hit this year, the immediate cap savings would be $5.1 million and he would be completely off their books in future years.

This ^ He's just too expensive and at his age he's just not going to be worth it. He was an excellent FA but his time is done. Brock, Culliver plus 2 rookies and mid level FA is the way to go I think.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
With Cully coming off a knee injury and T. Brown among the FA. Not sure that the Niners can afford to just let Carlos go. If he can take a pay cut, they will bring him back. Brock is the only sure thing right now at CB

That's why we'll look to the draft and FA. I'm sure we'll draft at least one CB early (maybe two), bring back Wright and/or Cox for cheap or find an inexpensive CB in FA. If Rogers is not willing to take at least a 50+% pay cut, he needs to go, period. He makes far too much money for what he actually brings to the table and we have real franchise players that need to be resigned. Rogers is a declining CB that will be 33 by the start of the season. He's replaceable and certainly not a player that 'needs' to be kept at this stage in his career.
Cut him and sign vontae davis. Also draft a cb.
Originally posted by xela510:
Cut him and sign vontae davis. Also draft a cb.

I like Vontae, but he'll be even more expensive than Rogers. I'd rather re-sign Brown, and take a CB in the 1st or 2nd round.

Brock, Brown, Culliver, + a draft pick...that's pretty darn good.
Share 49ersWebzone