There are 269 users in the forums

2013 - Divisional Round: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by lamontb:
Defense held it down. Seemed like Carolina tried to use GB's gameplan in coming out in shotgun and 3 wide & te running routes. It's the formation that at times forces Aldon into coverage and mostly forces the Niners out of their base defense. Smith just did a good job and beat Brown for a td. Besides that everything else got shut down. I didn't see Olsen do much of anything and tight ends usually kill this team. Defense also shut down the screen game. And the pass rush came alive in the 2nd half and just wrecked havoc. Skuta came in and gave Brooks a rest. And as soon as Brooks was back in the game he made a sack. I seen Jerrod Eddie making some plays aswell. Rotation starting to really help guys out this year

I haven't been able to review the whole game yet, but I know that for most of the first quarter the 49ers only once played their 3WR set with nickel and after resorted to their base D, which did put Aldon in coverage.
  • thl408
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Defense held it down. Seemed like Carolina tried to use GB's gameplan in coming out in shotgun and 3 wide & te running routes. It's the formation that at times forces Aldon into coverage and mostly forces the Niners out of their base defense. Smith just did a good job and beat Brown for a td. Besides that everything else got shut down. I didn't see Olsen do much of anything and tight ends usually kill this team. Defense also shut down the screen game. And the pass rush came alive in the 2nd half and just wrecked havoc. Skuta came in and gave Brooks a rest. And as soon as Brooks was back in the game he made a sack. I seen Jerrod Eddie making some plays aswell. Rotation starting to really help guys out this year

I haven't been able to review the whole game yet, but I know that for most of the first quarter the 49ers only once played their 3WR set with nickel and after resorted to their base D, which did put Aldon in coverage.

If that's true, it just shows that the 49ers respected the CAR run game more than their passing game, which makes a lot of sense. This was not the case in GB as Cox got a lot of playing time in the nickel package.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Mike Iupati had his best game as a pass protector. If he does this next week, good things will happen again.
Panthers were 7 - 1 in their house this year. Hmmm...isn't there another team that is 7 - 1 in their house this year.
nice post marvin - however i'm not scared of Seattle... Respect is one thing but scared of them.. nah, they are going to lose. we WILL NOT be DENIED!!!
Good post Marvin! I mentioned this in the 1200 page Kaepernick thred but want to put it down here too. The pump fake to draw the DB which lead to the deep pass to Anquan Boldin was beautiful. I have been calling for Kap to try that all year as defensive backs have inched closer and closer to jumping every single route throughout the season... so glad he finally did with great success. Hope he breaks this out next week too. Richard and Co. will surely be trying to jump routes.
[ Edited by mattster03 on Jan 13, 2014 at 12:44 PM ]
Good stuff Marvin.

I would give a shout out to our backup defensive guys. Skuta, Jerod-Eddie, Cox all came in and played very solid. Our starters have been given solid breaks this year in games and it is keeping them fresh.

Bowman is just an animal. Ditto for Boldin.

Also a big shout out to Joe Staley. Did anyone hear Greg Hardy;s named mentioned yesterday? That is a guy who had 15 sacks this year but Staley just flat out shut him down.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by vrabbit:

If that's true, it just shows that the 49ers respected the CAR run game more than their passing game, which makes a lot of sense. This was not the case in GB as Cox got a lot of playing time in the nickel package.

True. Thing about GB is they just have better offensive weapons and a better qb. Just amazing how the defense held them down aswell.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
nice job. i want to point out too that we had much better control of the play clock and use of timeouts. that has to continue next week.

I agree. I think a big part of it was because we didn't do a ton of shifting at the line like we usually do. It was definitely a breath of fresh air to see the offense go with the original play called so much more. I hope it continues in Seattle, because that'll help us a ton.

My biggest takeaway from the game was the offensive line. The line has been shaky at times this year in pass protection, but they came up huge against the best pass rush in the league. They routinely kept the pocket clean after the first drive and did just a thoroughly impressive job all around.

Our defense is playing big boy football on every single level right now. Ray McDonald has really stepped up his game in the playoffs after a mostly quiet season too.
[ Edited by Disp on Jan 13, 2014 at 2:30 PM ]
Shout out to Patten. Taking the few opportunities presented and doing good things and instilling confidence in the coaching staff and qb.

Great job as always Marvin49! So ready for Sunday!
Cant wait for this game man, the one thing that worries me most is that, kap has had ints dropped in 3 or 4 consecutive games that coud have made a huge impact on those games, the droped pick six by the Panthers was a miracle for us, changes the game completely, how bout the near int vs the Packers? Gotta be careful with those.
I truly believe we have the better team, we have to take their best punches early and then start to grind. Plus, i have never hated a team like i do these f**kks, i find it unbearable to watch their coach, their midget QB? hate the b*****d, sherman? Who doesnt hate him round here? The one player i respect is Lynch and there in lies our biggest and most important challenge of the game, to stop him, if we dominate him, getting Seattle out of their confort zone is goint to be paramount, second: Take care fo the ball.

Go Niners!!
Cant wait for this game man, the one thing that worries me most is that, kap has had ints dropped in 3 or 4 consecutive games that coud have made a huge impact on those games, the droped pick six by the Panthers was a miracle for us, changes the game completely, how bout the near int vs the Packers? Gotta be careful with those.
I truly believe we have the better team, we have to take their best punches early and then start to grind. Plus, i have never hated a team like i do these f**kks, i find it unbearable to watch their coach, their midget QB? hate the b*****d, sherman? Who doesnt hate him round here? The one player i respect is Lynch and there in lies our biggest and most important challenge of the game, to stop him, if we dominate him, getting Seattle out of their confort zone is goint to be paramount, second: Take care fo the ball.

Go Niners!!
Originally posted by communist:
we struggled against the panthers in the first half, against gb all game long...thus, we will have our breakout at clink. hands down.

To bad that makes no sense, because in essance we've gotten better with each round not worse.
Once again Marv you completely forget to mention my man Phil as being the quiet glue holding together the up and down performance of our offense.

Sounds crazy. But if he was as hot and cold as our O we would be debating draft picks right now.

Please give it up for our secret weapon, Captain Boring, Lord Humdrum -- Phil Dawson.

He just kicks it through.
Share 49ersWebzone