LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

Fangio's Adjustments

Shop Find 49ers gear online
AT the start of the season it seemed we never changed to negate our opponents strong points. In the last 1/3 of the season, I would say the 2nd half changes have been notable and successful...beginning about 8 games ago. Same can be said for the O. That speaks to the HC as much as anyone else.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Is anyone else noticing a trend here? In the last few years, there are countless times in which our defense has been gashed in the first half, only to step up and absolutely dominate the second half of the game. I believe this is largely the product of Fangio making the necessary second-half adjustments, and I think he needs to be commended for this.

- today's game
- the 2011 NFCCG
- the 2012 NFCCG
- last year's Super Bowl
- etc...

In all of these games, the defense responded with superb efforts in the second half after looking suspect in the first. Perhaps you can argue that his gameplan coming in is often off the mark, but either way, it's hard to ignore how well the defense responds in the second half. I mean, Carolina was moving the ball at will today to start the game, and they weren't able to do a damn thing after halftime.

I don't know if NFCCG vs. NYG is a great example. They scored as many points after halftime as they did before halftime. Granted both scores after halftime were due to short fields after Kyle Williams turnovers, but still. I think the key point of emphasis was that we did a much, much better job on Cruz after halftime.
Originally posted by kujon11:
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
1st half they wing it

that's the best time do do anything against us

2nd half we look at the tape and shut that stuff down.

He's bringing more pressure too being aggressive instead of sitting back

and its paying off

Im sorry carlos rest that hamstring

we really don't need you to come back and mess up the flow of the game.

they're not 'winging it' in the first half. they had new looks that they never saw installed during the regular season. panthers had two weeks two prepare, at least one full week for the niners specifically.

Right, Carolina offense had a few "unscouted looks" in the beginning but that stuff fizzled out in the 2nd half. By then our defense was even stouter and throwing a couple of their own "unscouted looks" into the game. One sequence that was a huge energy drain to Carolina was the 8-minutish drive to about the SF 30 and then 2 sacks in a row took them out of FG range. That pretty much snuffed out any rally they were mounting by then.
This is the best run fangio has had probably ever. His MO was great the first year then a steady decline thereafter.
[ Edited by fister30 on Jan 12, 2014 at 11:11 PM ]
Originally posted by fister30:
This is the best run fangio has had probably ever. His MO was great the first year then a steady decline thereafter.

Yeah that also is do to Injuries, Free Agency, Drafting and so on. We've draft well with Eric, Aldon. We've stayed relatively healthy on defense, besides Ian Williams and Culliver being lost for the season. Plus we've done well with signing Dorsey.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Jan 13, 2014 at 12:52 AM ]
Lord Fangio is a beast. hes the coach i dont want to lose on our staff more than anyone. maybe tomsula too but i think fangio runs the show.
I think the reason our D has done so well on the road is because of adjustments. Fangio and Roman-2 old guys hate the stick, hard to get from the coaches box to the locker room because of its antiquated system. By the time they get down there, they don't have enough time to go over and adjust. Of course this goes for the other side as well.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Lord Fangio is a beast. hes the coach i dont want to lose on our staff more than anyone. maybe tomsula too but i think fangio runs the show.

Fangio and JT are two that need to be kept. Roman and WR coach not so much.
Biggest overall adjustment we've made this year is using more of a rotation in the Front 7. The starters still get the heavy bulk of snaps, but we see guys like TJE, Dobbs, Skuta, and Lemonier rotated in to keep us fresh.

Can't stress enough how great it is to have the Smith bros. healthy this time. Our defense is generating consistent pressure, and is playing much better overall compared to last postseason.

Also nice to know Reid isn't going to freelance and completely blow a coverage assignment like the guy he replaced.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 13, 2014 at 2:21 AM ]

Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Fangio and JT are two that need to be kept. Roman and WR coach not so much.

definitely. roman wasnt so bad today tho. i liked the game plan
Hello everyone, Tracey Harris from Arizona, seriously i like to saw this is good.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

don't get this. Please explain very curious.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

don't get this. Please explain very curious.

Fans wear too much cologne?
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Biggest overall adjustment we've made this year is using more of a rotation in the Front 7. The starters still get the heavy bulk of snaps, but we see guys like TJE, Dobbs, Skuta, and Lemonier rotated in to keep us fresh.

Can't stress enough how great it is to have the Smith bros. healthy this time. Our defense is generating consistent pressure, and is playing much better overall compared to last postseason.

Also nice to know Reid isn't going to freelance and completely blow a coverage assignment like the guy he replaced.

Good point on the rotation. I think after last year's late injuries to Aldon and Justin in the playoffs and SB, Fangio realized he couldn't make due like the year before regarding the depth of the front defensive line and backers. They went and got more guys for depth of talent on the Dline and linebackers. Skuta, Dorsey, Lemonier, Jarrod-Eddie, some other guys I don't remember.
Share 49ersWebzone