LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 435 users in the forums

Fangio's Adjustments

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Mayor
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theduke85:
Is anyone else noticing a trend here? In the last few years, there are countless times in which our defense has been gashed in the first half, only to step up and absolutely dominate the second half of the game. I believe this is largely the product of Fangio making the necessary second-half adjustments, and I think he needs to be commended for this.

- today's game

In all of these games, the defense responded with superb efforts in the second half after looking suspect in the first.
Well, in the second half, the panthers had to play an offensive game they actually not prefer.
Personally I think Fangio is a more important and bigger need to this team then Roman. I'm sure some will disagree with me here but losing Fangio to me is a bigger issue then losing Roman. Fangio has done a Great job.
Wow...we hold the worst offense in the playoffs to 10 points with the best defense in the league from a personnel perspective and Fangio is a "genius" now?

Before people get so enthralled with the so called "adjustments" that he made would someone care to identify specifically what the coaching adjustments were exactly.

Fangio doesn't do much of anything. He plays the same defense in every game.
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Personally I think Fangio is a more important and bigger need to this team then Roman. I'm sure some will disagree with me here but losing Fangio to me is a bigger issue then losing Roman. Fangio has done a Great job.

WHAT?? I think I could call plays to hold teams to 10 points with this All Star D.

Criticize Roman all you want but if he leaves we had better hope our replacement is as good with the run game because that is why we have been so dominant the past three years.
Fangio and his defensive unit clamped down in the second half. I was expecting the Panthers to make a surge. Maybe some drives and points in the second half. It never really happened. They weren't doing all that bad in the first half either. Some soft moments in the passing game but overall it was one helluva defensive effort.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Wow...we hold the worst offense in the playoffs to 10 points with the best defense in the league from a personnel perspective and Fangio is a "genius" now?

Before people get so enthralled with the so called "adjustments" that he made would someone care to identify specifically what the coaching adjustments were exactly.

lol He didn't prepared them to play the game right.... They have enough talent to just throw those guys out there. Fangio pretty useless
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 12, 2014 at 7:52 PM ]
I don't think these are adjustments. This is the gameplan. Pressure / Blitz the QB more in the 2nd half. Just like in basketball, you can't full court press the whole game otherwise, defense will be gassed out.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Goal line defense is what won the game.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:

WHAT?? I think I could call plays to hold teams to 10 points with this All Star D.

Criticize Roman all you want but if he leaves we had better hope our replacement is as good with the run game because that is why we have been so dominant the past three years.

Originally posted by SteveYoung:

Its Harbaughs offense. Harbs himself could call it. We lose Fangio there will be some bumps.
Originally posted by susweel:
Goal line defense is what won the game.

Yup. Brooks was on the inside if the panthers had tossed to Tolbert i dunno if Sp27 Would have gotten there for the tackle.

1st half they wing it

that's the best time do do anything against us

2nd half we look at the tape and shut that stuff down.

He's bringing more pressure too being aggressive instead of sitting back

and its paying off

Im sorry carlos rest that hamstring

we really don't need you to come back and mess up the flow of the game.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
1st half they wing it

that's the best time do do anything against us

2nd half we look at the tape and shut that stuff down.

He's bringing more pressure too being aggressive instead of sitting back

and its paying off

Im sorry carlos rest that hamstring

we really don't need you to come back and mess up the flow of the game.

they're not 'winging it' in the first half. they had new looks that they never saw installed during the regular season. panthers had two weeks two prepare, at least one full week for the niners specifically.
Originally posted by bigwads:

Specifically? LOL, GTFO and stop playing armchair coordinator... demanding what YOU cannot even do yourself. What did Fangio do exactly? I have no idea... but I know in the first half Cam Newton was nearly perfect and barely came under pressure with only 1 hit and 1 sack. Then the 49ers harassed him quite a bit with four sacks and 8 hits in the second half. Adjustments were obviously made... if you can't see that then I feel sorry for you and your weird feeling of superiority over NFL Coordinators.

Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio completely outmaneuvered Panthers play-caller Mike Shula over the final 30 minutes. After accounting for just one sack and quarterback hit on Cam Newton over the first two quarters, San Francisco drove Carolina's passer crazy down the stretch.

Four second-half sacks and eight hits on Newton were the product of a talented defense that settled in and picked ona young Panthers team making its first postseason appearance in half a decade.

The 49ers don't run an exotic scheme, but what they do, they do well because of Fangio's leadership and experience in the crucible of January games. After Newton completed 8 of 10 passes at 13.6 yards per attempt over the first two quarters, Cam and the Panthers were badgered and shut out the rest of the way.

• thl408
My guess is those adjustments were mostly done in the secondary. Cam struggles with decision making and I think the coverage he was seeing made him very unsure. I agree goaline defense won this game.
I'm really worried about losing Fangio and/or Tomsula. Although Fangio has been in the league for 25 years or so not sure why he'd want to change now at 55 years old. I dont think Tomsula gets a HC but and not sure he'd leave for DC but I worry if we lose Roman he will take a bunch of our staff with. I'd rather Roman not get hired then we can fire him if we want to than him get hired and take a bunch of our good coaches with. Not sure if they would go with him though. That being said as of now I think Mike Zimmer to the Vikings although they just had defensive coach so maybe not and maybe Whisenhunt to the Lions. If that happens leaves Titans and Browns I believe. Not sure one of our guys gets the job although these national showings like today help the cause.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 12, 2014 at 9:22 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone