LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

If Roman Leaves, how about Chud?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Wonder if he interviews at Vanderbilt. Its funny b/c Vanderbilt passed on him for Franklin. Penn State just passed on Roman for Franklin. And if Franklin takes the Penn State job that leaves the Vanderbilt job open. Roman might get a shot this time around.

I'm starting to wonder if the dude is just a lousy interview. He's got the resume for the Penn State job certainly, but he might not have the demeanor/charisma needed.

Or it could be playoff success has hurt his chances. Teams don't want to wait till February to hire a coach.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I'm sure if we brought in a new OC ,,,he will merely run the same system we have in place, and add a few new wrinkles along the way

This. The philosophy would remain the same because it is Harbaugh's philosophy, thus run-heavy and vertical passing. People acting like an outside OC can't figure out how to pull that off amuse the heck out of me though, acting as if this team is running a pure WCO which is anything but accurate. If nothing else, maybe a more WCO-friendly OC could make better use of the short to intermediate passsing.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Or it could be playoff success has hurt his chances. Teams don't want to wait till February to hire a coach.

Wouldn't stop him from taking a college job, it's not like he'd have to wait, they can come to terms and he can leave after the 49ers season is done after they win their 6th Superbowl.
Jay Gruden is the new redskins head coach
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
36 wins and 4 playoff wins in 3 years. Baalke/Jed will have ZERO say on what Harbaugh does with his staff.

Coaches don't win games without talent. Just as Harbaugh gets input on choosing various players, I'm sure Baalke would be involved when it comes to replacing someone like Roman. Nothing just happens in a vacuum.

Exactly. Jcool, are you kidding me? This team is built to win Superbowls, not rack up wins. Jed, like his uncle, has the highest standards now and will not settle for double-digit wins w/o challenging or winning the Superbowl every year esp. entering the new stadium era. After 18+ games this year and an off season to boot (and last year), there are plenty of obvious patterns and questions Baalke will have of Harbaugh and this system/philosophy. This isn't about you being happy where we are at now b/c of the poor recent past but where we are going and should be at and Baalke is a GM who is constantly 2 and 3 years down the road.

Well if you are correct then Harbaugh wont be coaching here much longer. No successful head coach is going to let the front office dictate to him who is on his staff. Also the only people who think Roman has been doing a bad job are on this message board.
[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 9, 2014 at 7:27 AM ]
I'm starting to wonder if the dude is just a lousy interview. He's got the resume for the Penn State job certainly, but he might not have the demeanor/charisma needed.

You ever hear him talk? Plus look at him... I don't think he would be much of a recruiter in college football. Plus, he only has 2 years of college football experience. The guy has been an NFL assistant since he was 24
I'm sure if we brought in a new OC ,,,he will merely run the same system we have in place, and add a few new wrinkles along the way

This. The philosophy would remain the same because it is Harbaugh's philosophy, thus run-heavy and vertical passing. People acting like an outside OC can't figure out how to pull that off amuse the heck out of me though, acting as if this team is running a pure WCO which is anything but accurate. If nothing else, maybe a more WCO-friendly OC could make better use of the short to intermediate passsing.

thats what I miss ...using the pass to set up the run ...the short pass merely being an extension of the running game ...classic Walsh, gets all the playmakers involved
Originally posted by
Jcool:
Well if you are correct then Harbaugh wont be coaching here much longer. No successful head coach is going to let the front office dictate to him who is on his staff.

Who said anything about dictating? Merely that Baalke would have input in those decisions, no different than John McVay had with Bill Walsh on assistant coaches.

Also the only people who think Roman has been doing a bad job are on this message board.

Really, so the announcers during the games haven't been regularly going "WTF?" at the playcalling this season?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 9, 2014 at 7:33 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Well if you are correct then Harbaugh wont be coaching here much longer. No successful head coach is going to let the front office dictate to him who is on his staff. Also the only people who think Roman has been doing a bad job are on this message board.

Really, so the announcers during the games haven't been regularly going "WTF?" at the playcalling this season?

I must be listening to the alternate game feed because the ones i hear talk about how good he is.
a lot of us have been making comments about Geep Chryst getting the OC gig after Roman leaves? ...but what if Tomsula, Fangio or Roman leave and takes Chryst with them? ....hopefully Harbaugh has a plan in place so our next OC hits the ground running

The flaw with this logic is that Chryst (or anyone else) follow a coordinator leaving will most likely be going to a rebuilding situation. Assuming Chryst would get offered the OC job with the Redskins or Vikings and the 49ers ... which would you take. Why drive a Prius when you can strap into a Ferrari.

I must be listening to the alternate game feed because the ones i hear talk about how good he is.

Try taking the ear muffs off next time.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
a lot of us have been making comments about Geep Chryst getting the OC gig after Roman leaves? ...but what if Tomsula, Fangio or Roman leave and takes Chryst with them? ....hopefully Harbaugh has a plan in place so our next OC hits the ground running

The flaw with this logic is that Chryst (or anyone else) follow a coordinator leaving will most likely be going to a rebuilding situation. Assuming Chryst would get offered the OC job with the Redskins or Vikings and the 49ers ... which would you take. Why drive a Prius when you can strap into a Ferrari.

I would also think that if Chryst (or anyone else) has aspirations for a head coaching job in the future, a better platform to reach that goal would be as an OC for a team with a proven track record such as the 49ers.
Rathman was also a high candidate when Harbaugh was originally selecting his staff. He maybe a candidate for oc if we happen to loose Roman an other offensive choaches.
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Rathman was also a high candidate when Harbaugh was originally selecting his staff. He maybe a candidate for oc if we happen to loose Roman an other offensive choaches.

Don't buy Rathman as a candidate for OC at all. He's been a good position coach and he's been doing it for a LONG time now, if it hasn't happened already, I don't see it happening now. There's nothing wrong with being a good position coach either. I'd hire Singletary to coach LB's or be a motivational speaker, never to be a DC.
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:
I've been thinking about this for a while, and I wanted to get the opinion of others here. If Roman leaves for Penn St. or another HC job, would the Niners look at Chudzinski to fill the OC role? His work with the Panthers and Newton would closely mirror the situation here with Kaepernick - both are teams built around Defense and the running game and a QB who is more Athlete/thrower than pocket passer. By all accounts, Chud is a terrific guy to work with and an smart offensive mind. He also got a career year out of Derek Anderson when he was OC of the Browns in 07.

What do people think of Chud as OC?

I would say a shocker here........Tom Rathman, I would use this period as a time to start bringing in the former players from the Walsh era like Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, Joe Montana and other former players to become position and coordinator positions, eventually to become head coach. Can one imagine Joe Montana as the head coach? wow, that would be cool.
Share 49ersWebzone