LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

If Roman Leaves, how about Chud?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mayo49:
Just hire from within and keep the continuity going.

That worked so well for Nolan too.

Originally posted by JackPardeePants:
Norv Turner runs a completely differen't system-offense than what Harbaugh likes. Makes no sense. This isn't fantasy coaching.

Harbaugh runs an offense predicated heavily on running the ball and a vertical passing offense. Norv runs an offense predicated heavily on running the ball and a vertical passing offense. I'm sure the various details could get worked out. Their offensive philosophies mesh quite well. Not saying he's a likely candidate, but all this crying about "he doesn't fit the system though" is nonsense.

Using that same logic, Chryst shouldn't be able to "fit the offense" either since he ran a digits system when he was the OC for the Chargers. Yes, the same sort of system that Norv runs.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 9, 2014 at 3:52 AM ]
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
That isn't all on Geep. 1999-2000 was still the disastrous Ryan Leaf era. Even the best minds in the entire history of football couldn't find a way to make it work with that dirtbag as their #2 overall franchise pick and being forced to start him as the GM and HC who drafted him are trying to save their jobs.

Leaf was there in 2000, what explains the horrible playcalling in 1999?
Personally I'd be interested in seeing what a guy like Ken Zampese, QB coach for the Bengals can do. His old man came out of the Air Coryell offense but Zampese has had exposure to several different offense's, he worked for the Packers for a time, is knowledgeable in the WCO, as well the deep vertical passing offense as utilized by Norv and Mike Martz.

He's worked with guys like Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy, Marty Morhinweg, Mike Martz...etc, very good offensive background.

Also there is Ben McAdoo, QB coach of the Packers. He's getting some head coaching interest but if he doesn't get hired there, he'll be looking for an OC gig as his contract with GB is up.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 9, 2014 at 4:07 AM ]
Norv not Chud. Or a big OC package for Shanahan.
there was a story last year about harbaugh losing one of his coaches at Stanford or sd. The coach when he was leaving said something like "I hope im not leaving you in a bind". And harbaugh with a big grin said nope I have already upgraded. Im pretty sure harbaugh thinks everyone but himself is replaceable with someone better.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
You guys are nuts.

If Roman leaves the replacement OC is already on the staff. They are NOT going to bring in a whole new system because its Harbaughs system to begin with.

I though maybe Drevno before he left, but perhaps Chryst. They might look at the Stanford staff as well.

Norv? Seriously? Not gonna happen.

Exactly. If Harbaugh's regime brings anything to a program, it's depth and continuity. It's part of why Stanford is still a powerhouse even without Harbs.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
please god not Morton! he is a horrible WR coach so I cant imagine him at OC. I am sure he will be get a highly reputable OC with past success in a system with a mobile QB

He has OC experience though (like Chryst) and Harbaugh really likes him and trusts him. They go way back to the Raiders days and Harbaugh hired him at San Diego to
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Actually Hue Jackson would be a very good choice,He knows the west coast offense,has a very good passing game.

Big Ego on him, does not get along with a lot of people. That is why he went from a head coach to an assistant secondary coach.

Kubiak could make some sense though...
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I don't know bout that ..... Geep Chryst is a disciple of Coryel offense and was a coach on Turner's staff in San Diego I thought.

Chryst never coached with Turner. He was on the Chargers staff when Mike Riley was HC and Harbaugh was QB. He also worked under Trestman in Arizona and Dan Henning in Carolina. I don't think he is a slam dunk to get the OC job though. Im telling you, don't rule out Morton....

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Harbaugh runs an offense predicated heavily on running the ball and a vertical passing offense. Norv runs an offense predicated heavily on running the ball and a vertical passing offense. I'm sure the various details could get worked out. Their offensive philosophies mesh quite well. Not saying he's a likely candidate, but all this crying about "he doesn't fit the system though" is nonsense.

Using that same logic, Chryst shouldn't be able to "fit the offense" either since he ran a digits system when he was the OC for the Chargers. Yes, the same sort of system that Norv runs.

Yeah but Chryst also has a background coaching in the WCO (Here for 3 years) and for 3 years in Arizona with Trestman. Plus he coached Harbaugh. Norv Turner never coached in a WCO style offense and has no history with Harbaugh. Not going to happen!
Originally posted by JackPardeePants:
He has OC experience though (like Chryst) and Harbaugh really likes him and trusts him. They go way back to the Raiders days and Harbaugh hired him at San Diego to

OC experience in college and short term at that.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
OC experience in college and short term at that.

Chryst was only OC for two years and Mike Riley was more involved in the play calling. Harbaugh loves John Morton and Morton is younger than Chryst. I think he may get the nod over Chryst but hey it looks right now like we are going to be stuck with Roman for another year at least. Though, maybe we could do worse than Roman as OC....
Norv is a completely different system and terminology, never going to happen.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by kap2crab:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
You guys are nuts.

If Roman leaves the replacement OC is already on the staff. They are NOT going to bring in a whole new system because its Harbaughs system to begin with.

I though maybe Drevno before he left, but perhaps Chryst. They might look at the Stanford staff as well.

Norv? Seriously? Not gonna happen.

You're contradicting yourself there. Also, there's no way that there's no way we wouldn't bring an outsider on. It's absolutely in the realm of possibility.

It's certainly possible, but less likely when you have an offensive HC. They tend to promote within, or hire someone who already has familiarity running their scheme. Defensive HCs are typically not married to any offensive scheme, nor have the expertise on that side of the ball, which is why you see so many of them cycle through coordinators of all backgrounds before finding the right fit.

Hiring someone from the Stanford staff would not be a contradiction, because they obviously run Harbaugh's scheme. Hiring a complete outsider would require the new OC to scrap much of what he did in the past, and adjust to a new philosophy. That doesn't happen often, which is why the Kelly-Shurmur pairing was so unique. It's the exception, not the rule.

Agreed...it would have the be a Baalke call if we changed systems IMHO.
Share 49ersWebzone