LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

What is Kaeps worth....?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Kaeps worth....?

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

"I think it's a balance," Kaepernick says of possible contract extension. Says he wants to be paid fairly but realizes others must be signed
Originally posted by Jcool:

"I think it's a balance," Kaepernick says of possible contract extension. Says he wants to be paid fairly but realizes others must be signed

A qb who understands that other players have to be paid as well? Amazing!
Originally posted by English:

I think he is talking about our future team filled with rookies and vets playing for the league minimum.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by English:

I think he is talking about our future team filled with rookies and vets playing for the league minimum.

You are so cynical!!!
Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP
Just had an exclusive chat with the unusually shy Colin Kaepernick in which he unloads on Richard Sherman with both barrels. Story coming.

Colin Kaepernick on Sherman: "He's afraid of our receivers, and that's something I'm looking forward to [exploiting] next year."

Colin Kaepernick on the final play of NFCCG: "If I throw that ball one foot farther, it's a TD and now you're the goat, Richard Sherman."

Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP 24m Colin Kaepernick on Sherman: "His comments were ridiculous. If you have to tell people how good you are, then how good are you really?"

Colin Kaepernick on Sherman's choke sign: "Did that make you feel better about yourself? Then go ahead. Because I'm not worried about you."

That's just a taste of Colin Kaepernick's comments to me. As I said earlier, story coming. Oh, and he said he's a big Broncos fan this week.
Here you go, doubters. I thought Kaepernick seemed like the kind of player who was "all-ball" and would take the big picture when it came to contract time and it looks like I was right about him:

"I think it's a balance. You want to be paid fairly for what you feel like you're doing in comparison to your peers," Kaepernick said. "But at the same time, you have to realize, if we want to get Anquan Boldin back, if we want Donte Whitner to come back, we're going to have to make moves to get them back. And there has to be room for everyone. And that's something I'm going to let my agent and the organization try to figure out. But hopefully, it's a position where we can assemble the best team we need."
Originally posted by crake49:
Here you go, doubters. I thought Kaepernick seemed like the kind of player who was "all-ball" and would take the big picture when it came to contract time and it looks like I was right about him:

"I think it's a balance. You want to be paid fairly for what you feel like you're doing in comparison to your peers," Kaepernick said. "But at the same time, you have to realize, if we want to get Anquan Boldin back, if we want Donte Whitner to come back, we're going to have to make moves to get them back. And there has to be room for everyone. And that's something I'm going to let my agent and the organization try to figure out. But hopefully, it's a position where we can assemble the best team we need."

This is what I am talking about in the beginning. Kap isn't selfish. He will get his money in due time. Other needs are more important, we need to get Boldin back, and maybe Whitner. Plus others who need extensions soon, Vernon, Willis, Boone, Aldon, Crabs, Iupati is likely gone. Kap is important, not saying he isn't, but we have a lot of guys to retain, so I don't see a $20M a year contract for Kap happening anytime soon.
  • thl408
Would it makes sense for Kap to re-sign on a short term deal, say 3 years at a reasonable price ($14/yr), ball out of control, then get the mega deal in his third contract? If he believes he can improve, which he has no reason not to think, he can take this gamble and get paid big time after the second contract is expired.

what else would he say lol

"nah all da money go to me and a WR of my choosing"
i would be ecstatic if the guy took less money and set some sort of example. i know tom brady did it, but thats in the late 30's after years of top tier money. if kaep or someone else does take less to help the team on their 2nd pro contract (usually the one guys try to cash in on) then i will tip my cap to them, but its just tough for me to see anyone doing it. i like what i heard from him today, but on the flip side, whats he supposed to say? i'm gonna take them to the cleaners? i'm still skeptical.

Originally posted by RonMexico:

Idk, Ron. I'd don't hear many football players talk like that. Most guys say, "that's something my agent will handle." Kap says he's telling his agent to give the Niners a team friendly contract. That's pretty special.

BTW, I think more QBs should realize that if they took less they might make more through endorsements if they can assemble a winning team. QB is probably the only position that can probably get away with that since they tend to be the face of the franchise. Breeze, Flacco, Romo and even Rogers might be good to great QBs, but I'll be surprised if they ever win it all again with their new contracts.
[ Edited by KungFuJoe on Jan 30, 2014 at 2:59 PM ]
I want to congratulate the guy for showing maturity & understanding how to keep a team at the top of the game, but I want to see a contract first that backs up his words.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KungFuJoe:

Idk, Ron. I'd don't hear many football players talk like that. Most guys say, "that's something my agent will handle." Kap says he's telling his agent to give the Niners a team friendly contract. That's pretty special.

BTW, I think more QBs should realize that if they took less they might make more through endorsements if they can assemble a winning team. QB is probably the only position that can probably get away with that since they tend to be the face of the franchise. Breeze, Flacco, Romo and even Rogers might be good to great QBs, but I'll be surprised if they ever win it all again with their new contracts.

Well, if I was blessed, and was a great player, I'd ask for a lot.... but with keeping in mind, I'd restructure IF it meant bringing in or keeping a guy we need to win. That way I could have an influence on how my benevolence is spent.

But that's all fantasy land. Who knows how many of us would go full A-rod with that much talent.
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by KungFuJoe:

Well, if I was blessed, and was a great player, I'd ask for a lot.... but with keeping in mind, I'd restructure IF it meant bringing in or keeping a guy we need to win. That way I could have an influence on how my benevolence is spent.

But that's all fantasy land. Who knows how many of us would go full A-rod with that much talent.

I wonder if Kap realizes his current limitations as a QB. I'm still troubled by his lack of production when Crabtree was out. IMO, top QBs are very good at spreading the ball around. I just don't see that in Kap, yet.

Also, I wonder if his comment about Boldin and Whitner implies that he knows something behind the scenes about contract negotiations? Wishful thinking.

He might say nothing like Flacco did and just let his agents try to gouge the team for all they can.
Share 49ersWebzone