LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

What is Kaeps worth....?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Kaeps worth....?

Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
In looking at other QB salaries his contract will be about guaranteed money. I think if he gets a lot of it he won't care what the contract 'looks' like. Cutlers deal looks huge but its really a 3yr deal with good guarantees. I'd imagine if he gets 7 for 100mil with 50 guarantee d he'd take it.

The problem with cutler's deal is it has him getting over $22 million in one of the first three seasons. Guaranteed. That is too big of a cap number for any one player.

In the NBA it is OK for one player to take up 18% of the cap as there is only 11-13 players on an NBA roster (and they can go over the cap). In the NFL, when the top 52 contracts on the roster, as well as contracts for players on the PUP and a few other lists, count against the cap it is insane.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
In looking at other QB salaries his contract will be about guaranteed money. I think if he gets a lot of it he won't care what the contract 'looks' like. Cutlers deal looks huge but its really a 3yr deal with good guarantees. I'd imagine if he gets 7 for 100mil with 50 guarantee d he'd take it.

The problem with cutler's deal is it has him getting over $22 million in one of the first three seasons. Guaranteed. That is too big of a cap number for any one player.

In the NBA it is OK for one player to take up 18% of the cap as there is only 11-13 players on an NBA roster (and they can go over the cap). In the NFL, when the top 52 contracts on the roster, as well as contracts for players on the PUP and a few other lists, count against the cap it is insane.

Yeah but remember, EVERY team with a franchise QB, and some without have to and are paying their QB top dollar. No team gets to keep all of their best players but the good organizations tend to keep their core guys and most of ours are under contract for a few more years. That coupled with our crap load of draft picks will keep us good for quite a while.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
bout 2.50
Yeah but remember, EVERY team with a franchise QB, and some without have to and are paying their QB top dollar. No team gets to keep all of their best players but the good organizations tend to keep their core guys and most of ours are under contract for a few more years. That coupled with our crap load of draft picks will keep us good for quite a while.

Every team? The 49ers have been able to do it without doing that, both with Alex Smith in 2011 and the first half of 2012 and with Kaepernick since.

The draft picks will help though. That is a good point.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
O'rly?

In his year and a half as a starter, Kap has beaten three teams that have scored at least 28 on our defense. He outdueled Brady in December in Foxboro. He threw for 400 yards and 4TDs in GB week one this year. And finally, he set the all-time QB rushing record against GB in the divisional round of the playoffs last year.

This is not too mention a Superbowl comeback that had been officiated correctly would have likely been the largest Superbowl comeback in NFL's history. Also two weeks prior, coming back in Atlanta to beat Atlanta on the shoulders of our QB.

It's incredibly false to claim we don't have a QB that can win games for us. In a year and a half, he's done so on numerous occasions. Also, the notion he had a bad season is silly. I'd say the lofty expectations were not met, but all things considered, he played a huge, if not the biggest, role in getting us to a 12-4 record.

Some people just refuse to let facts get in the way of a tired old argument.
O'rly?

In his year and a half as a starter, Kap has beaten three teams that have scored at least 28 on our defense. He outdueled Brady in December in Foxboro. He threw for 400 yards and 4TDs in GB week one this year. And finally, he set the all-time QB rushing record against GB in the divisional round of the playoffs last year.

This is not too mention a Superbowl comeback that had been officiated correctly would have likely been the largest Superbowl comeback in NFL's history. Also two weeks prior, coming back in Atlanta to beat Atlanta on the shoulders of our QB.

It's incredibly false to claim we don't have a QB that can win games for us. In a year and a half, he's done so on numerous occasions. Also, the notion he had a bad season is silly. I'd say the lofty expectations were not met, but all things considered, he played a huge, if not the biggest, role in getting us to a 12-4 record.

Way to key in one one statement, completely ignoring the rest of it, and get it wrong while you are at it.

No one ever said the 49ers can't ever win with Kaepernick at QB if the other team scores 28 points or more. He said week in, week out. He said without timely turnovers, a great kicking game, and a stout defense.

Generally speaking, the last season and a half point to that being an accurate statement. That's not a bad thing either, the completeness of this team is the reason we are 12-4 and favored going on the road to play a team that already beat us in our home. Its not Kaepernick VS Newton (although that is an interesting conversation) but the 49ers VS Panthers, with the 49ers being favorites because they are the better and more complete TEAM.
[ Edited by Gavintech on Jan 9, 2014 at 3:12 PM ]
Originally posted by crake49:
O'rly?

Some people just refuse to let facts get in the way of a tired old argument.

As I just said in another thread, for those who wish, and pray, that Kaep will leave the 49ers, prepare yourselves for a rude awakening.
Originally posted by ayetee:
As I just said in another thread, for those who wish, and pray, that Kaep will leave the 49ers, prepare yourselves for a rude awakening.

I don't think those people exist.

There is a HUGE difference between thinking a guy is not worth a $100,000,000 contract and "wishing and praying" that he leaves the team. Absolutes, aren't they great?
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by kronik:
You're not a Kap hater? I can tell you worship the old "pocket passer" pass for alot of yards type QB's and think it's all that is holy. But I got news for you. The NFL is evolving. It's always evolving. Those guys haven't won jackcrap for a long time. You like to give credit to the D and our kicker, but you do not give any credit to Kaep who accounted for 325 of the team's 377 yards of offense. It's not just this playoff game. Look at last year's playoff games. BTW, do you realize how young he is and how he is only going to get better?

It takes a full season before you get to the playoffs. Without the supporting cast, Kap is not in the playoffs. Funny that you mention I'm a stats guy when your argument is stats...ironic? One great playoff game doesn't wipe out a season of struggle. I was one of the few who were talking about Kap early. Go look in the Kap thread and you will see me talking about him during the Senior Bowl practices. I don't need a pocket passer, but I do need strong play week in and week out. And at this point his play has not shown he can do it all alone. One over expensive player can cripple a roster...Flacco, Fitzgerald, Bradford etc etc. If Kap can't spread the ball to a second WR not named Crabtree, it's more wise to ask for less and keep his favorite player.

One great playoff game? Hello, when did he ever have a bad playoff game or even a mediocre one?
Season of struggle? Do you even know the definition of struggle? How was he top 10 rated QB and ranked 7th in QBR while struggling all season?
Originally posted by kronik:
How was he top 10 rated QB and ranked 7th in QBR while struggling all season?

I remember when it was someone else behind center things like Passer Rating and QBR didn't matter because the 49ers don't throw the ball as much as other teams. Funny how they matter so much now.
[ Edited by Gavintech on Jan 9, 2014 at 3:59 PM ]

Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by ayetee:

I don't think those people exist.

There is a HUGE difference between thinking a guy is not worth a $100,000,000 contract and "wishing and praying" that he leaves the team. Absolutes, aren't they great?

Seems like the issue you have is with the NFL pay scale for QB's. If that is the case, I somewhat agree. Salaries in all sports has gotten out of hand. It's not limited to just football. The thing is... it doesn't matter what you or I feel a certain player is worth. The 'market' determines that whether we like it or not.
Wait, are there actually folks on here that think that Ryan, Stafford, and Cutler are more accomplished than Kap is. LOL! But I suspect if asked if Luck should be getting paid Ryan money many on here would scream that Andrew desires it.

And you don't pay guys because of what they necessarily have done. BUT what you anticipate they are going to do.
Originally posted by sevenup3000:
Wait, are there actually folks on here that think that Ryan, Stafford, and Cutler are more accomplished than Kap is. LOL! But I suspect if asked if Luck should be getting paid Ryan money many on here would scream that Andrew desires it.

And you don't pay guys because of what they necessarily have done. BUT what you anticipate they are going to do.

Somehow I dont think that worked out for the Raiders and Jamarcus Russell.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by sevenup3000:

Somehow I dont think that worked out for the Raiders and Jamarcus Russell.

Comparing apples to oranges there. Russell got payed without ever playing a down. Kap is one of the higher rated QBs in the league, has a winning record as a starter, already has 3 playoff victories under his belt, and a SB appearance.

sevenup3000 does have a point. Past and potential production are both factors when signing/extending a player. Kap has significant past production, and his potential is through the roof. If we want him, we have to pay him market value. If not, there are 20+ teams who will be more than willing.
Screw paying a QB more than 15 mill, we see what it did to the Ravens. In this pass happy league where you can't touch the QB or the WRs and Rookies are coming out more prepared than ever I would not blow all of my cap space on a QB. QBs like Brady, Manning, and Brees can keep your team viable but they will not solely win you a super bowl. Unless Kap goes out and destroys every opponent we face from here to the Super Bowl (if we get there). I wouldn't seriously consider paying him more than 10 mill a season but if he did I would give him the other 15 mill.
Share 49ersWebzone