LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

What is Kaeps worth....?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Kaeps worth....?

^^^^they don't account for 20 million in cap space. Add in a deal for Crabs adding another 7-10 mill.....
Rogers & Whitner's money won't be leaving the defense. Aldon will have that in his pocket. So we're hard up against the cap again.

On offense we need 2 of 3 guys back, Kaep, Crab or Boldin plus resign other role players in Miller, Hunter & Kilgore. Iupati would have a deal done already I think so he'll be gone.
Originally posted by jreff22:
^^^^they don't account for 20 million in cap space. Add in a deal for Crabs adding another 7-10 mill.....

Gore, Justin Smith and their massive salaries are gone sooner than later. Boldin probably won't be resigned. Hopefully, we replace him with a stud draft prospect. Salary cap is around $130mil a year and should be escalating. We should be fine.

BTW, It's not my wish to give Kaep $20 mil, but it's the market. I wish the market for a QB is $1 a year but it's not. Blame the other teams for inflating the free market. Who knows, maybe he'll sign for less. But I won't hate him if he wants market value. I kind of expect it.
[ Edited by kronik on Jan 8, 2014 at 8:51 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:

Gore, Justin Smith and their massive salaries are gone sooner than later. Boldin probably won't be resigned. Hopefully, we replace him with a stud draft prospect. Salary cap is around $130mil a year and should be escalating. We should be fine.

BTW, It's not my wish to give Kaep $20 mil, but it's the market. I wish the market for a QB is $1 a year but it's not. Blame the other teams for inflating the free market. Who knows, maybe he'll sign for less. But I won't hate him if he wants market value. I kind of expect it.

If Kap wins us a Super Bowl this year he can have whatever he wants.
Jay Cutler money
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by crabman82:
matt ryans 2nd contract after 1 playoff win: 6 years 113.7 million

joe flaccos 2nd deal after a sb win : 6 years 120 million

A.) Those were both horrible decisions by their respective GM's. No one else was going to pay either of them that much in free agency.

B.) They were after longer periods of time and more success. Ryan had just come off his 5th season throwing 4,719 yards and 32 TDs with a 69% completion percentage. He was their offense! Kap has been in the league for three and only started a season and a half. His first year as a starter he threw for 3,179 yards and 21 TDs with a 58% completion percentage. While that is a pretty good year, especially when you factor in his rushing yards and TDs, its nothing like what Ryan did the year before he got his contract.

Joe Flacco's deal was straight retarded. Such a good deal they lost Anquan Boldin and probably a playoff birth for it.

Not sure why people keep acting like other team's mistakes mean everyone is going to make the same mistake.

the poster i replied to straight up said "No quarterback gets paid top tier on their first non-rookie contract.".......sorry for proving him wrong
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by kronik:

If Kap wins us a Super Bowl this year he can have whatever he wants.

Boldin won't be re-signed? Wut?
I hope we do 4 year 65 mil or 16.25 as a base. Then add in a 5 million escalator if we win NFC Championship and an additional 5 million if we win super bowl. It's a win win. We lose super bowl we have money for F/A's. We win super bowl, we win super bowl. Kap would literally play NFC championship games and the Super Bowl like 5 million dollars is on the line for each game.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Jan 9, 2014 at 9:55 AM ]
Am I the only one here that is enticed by the possibility that, even though I love Kap, of just always going with cheap-ass dudes on rookie contracts knowing we have by far the best QB guru on the planet who knows how to identify gems and turns anything he touches into gold. Would enable us constant massive financial flexibility everywhere else on the roster. Wouldn't really ever have to fear guys like Crab, Aldon, Iupati, etc. getting away if we don't want them to (barring another team flagrantly overpaying). It almost seems like a waste of winning the Harbaugh sweepstakes if we're gonna mitigate his greatest asset (his QB guru-ness) by allocating a huge portion of the salary cap to a QB like teams like Atlanta, Dallas, Detroit, Chicago, etc. have done when we can pretty much bank on getting great play at the position from guys on cheap contracts.
Originally posted by AUniner:
Teams that are winning SB's are playing good defense. Ravens & Giants did this. Even Green Bay & NO lead the league in turnovers because of defensive pressure.You can't dismantle the defense in order to throw money at Kaep.

When was the last time a running QB won the Superbowl... eventually someone is going to hit him and he won't get back up in a hurry. The NFL isn't going to protect running QBs.

When are some people going to get it through their heads that the process Kaepernick is going through with Harbaugh is that of turning him into a pocket passer. He's already not a "running QB." Very few plays per game are designed runs for Kaepernick. Some games they go the whole 60 minutes without one designed running play for him. And if and when he wins a Super Bowl, it won't be as a running QB. Even though he gouged the Packers last week with his running, it wasn't designed running plays - it was Kaepernick and possibly the coaching staff realizing that since the refs were going to allow receivers to get mauled, he should just take off if he saw man coverage and open lanes. What Kaepernick is right now is a newly developing pocket passer with tremendous speed who can take off and gain tremendous yards on scrambles.

Hes going to get 100 mil with 50 guaranteed. What hes "worth", im not sure.

The only thing that matters is that in the NFL, you need a franchise QB to win titles, and were going to hold on tight to Kap regardless of the cost.

I agree with you that they will hold on to him almost at any cost, but I predict that it's not going to cost as much as you think.
Originally posted by crake49:
Hes going to get 100 mil with 50 guaranteed. What hes "worth", im not sure.

The only thing that matters is that in the NFL, you need a franchise QB to win titles, and were going to hold on tight to Kap regardless of the cost.

I agree with you that they will hold on to him almost at any cost, but I predict that it's not going to cost as much as you think.

If you were a professional athlete and you really loved your team, city, etc. Yes you would be tempted to give a good discount. However, if so, and so QB on another team is getting paid X amount and performing probably 70% as well as you are. You would feel insulted to get anything less than that guy. Hell you wouldn't even have to be a professional athlete to have this type of feeling, just imagine a similar scenario in your actual workplace.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gavintech:
matt ryans 2nd contract after 1 playoff win: 6 years 113.7 million

joe flaccos 2nd deal after a sb win : 6 years 120 million

A.) Those were both horrible decisions by their respective GM's. No one else was going to pay either of them that much in free agency.

B.) They were after longer periods of time and more success. Ryan had just come off his 5th season throwing 4,719 yards and 32 TDs with a 69% completion percentage. He was their offense! Kap has been in the league for three and only started a season and a half. His first year as a starter he threw for 3,179 yards and 21 TDs with a 58% completion percentage. While that is a pretty good year, especially when you factor in his rushing yards and TDs, its nothing like what Ryan did the year before he got his contract.

Joe Flacco's deal was straight retarded. Such a good deal they lost Anquan Boldin and probably a playoff birth for it.

Not sure why people keep acting like other team's mistakes mean everyone is going to make the same mistake.

the poster i replied to straight up said "No quarterback gets paid top tier on their first non-rookie contract.".......sorry for proving him wrong

And I clarified what I was saying. The other quarterbacks who sat for 1-3 years before becoming starters signed modest second contracts before hitting the big payday. Only guys who were day 1 starters and had 5-6 years of starting experience signed huge follow up deals. Kaep should fall into the former. I'm sorry you couldn't follow.
he is worth me ignoring my family every sunday
In looking at other QB salaries his contract will be about guaranteed money. I think if he gets a lot of it he won't care what the contract 'looks' like. Cutlers deal looks huge but its really a 3yr deal with good guarantees. I'd imagine if he gets 7 for 100mil with 50 guarantee d he'd take it.
Share 49ersWebzone