LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

Our in-house priority list

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Much has been said of Kap, Crab, and Aldon's upcoming new contracts. Harbaugh will obviously look for a pay raise this off-season as well. I'd love to hear your takes on how Trent and Co. will go about prioritizing this list?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
CK - Have to find a way to keep a franchise QB without paying him an asinine amount though

Crabtree - He's making $6 mill a year already cause of his crazy rookie deal so money isn't necessary an issue. He's #2 because we need to have a "dynamic duo" to build around for the next 5 years or so. Crucial to sustained offensive superiority.

Aldon - He's 3rd out of this list because of his numerous off-field issues. He is clearly the best pass rusher that the NFL has seen in a long time but that won't mean a lot if he hasn't turned himself around. Expect the niners to wait as long as they can before committing top, premier pass-rusher money to Aldon.

Then it becomes a an interesting list of players to pick from...... Miller, Culliver, Hunter, Kilgore basically the entire 2011 class was so good we need to seriously look at which pieces are expendable.

Miller may deserve to be considered over Hunter because a veteran FB in our offense should outweigh a #2 back, especially with James and Lattimore under contract for longer.

Kilgore will probably get an "Ian Williams" deal this spring (assuming we let Goodwin go) because it would be absurd go into the season with him as our starting center have him have an above average to monster year and have him leave after 1 year (doubt that happens but you never know).

Cully was all but guaranteed the #2 CB job over rogers before he tore his acl...he'll have to show he's back to form but I think he gets an extension AFTER next year.

I'm sad to say it because I literally jumped for joy when Hunter fell to us but I have to wonder how he fits in the long term plan since we have selected TWO rbs since we've picked him. He's outperformed his rookie year this year but was it because of his return from injury that we especially took away 25% of his carries this year? Right now Gore's potentially "final" contract ends the same year as Hunter(2014) so will we wait until the end of next year to give him money or what?
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 6, 2014 at 5:57 PM ]
1. Harbaugh new deal. Has to be paid top 3 IMO. Only coach I have in front of him is Belicheck, maybe Payton.
2. Securing other coaches if we lose any.
3. Crabs new deal. 5 years $70M? 3rd highest in the league? I thik he should get top 5 money but not Megatron or Fitz money.
4. Aldon new deal. No idea what we pay him. 5 years $70-80M? Obviously there will be strict conditions relating to off field.
5. Kaep new deal - I dunno yet. I want to see more progress. If he reaches free agency good luck to him. He'll get paid but won't have long term success without Harbaugh IMO.
5a. Boldin new deal. Will need to be cap friendly. Would love to keep him but the money probably not there.
6. Iupati, Miller, Hunter, Culliver, Dorsey & Whitner deals. Rogers & Brown likely gone. Need Whitner there as veteran presence. The others need new deals but wouldn't be surprised if Iupati misses out. Culliver would have to take a team friendly deal at this point due to ACL.
I forgot Phil Dawson too. Hopefully we can fit him in. Otherwise we might be drafting a kicker.
Kap is such a wildcard here. It wouldn't shock me if his representation demands Flacco money, but he is such a team guy and I envision him not wanting to hamstring the team into cap hell.

Not that Trent would ever entertain such a thing.
Kap
crabs
Bolding
smith
Dawson

Iupati
Originally posted by sfout:
CK - Have to find a way to keep a franchise QB without paying him an asinine amount though

Crabtree - He's making $6 mill a year already cause of his crazy rookie deal so money isn't necessary an issue. He's #2 because we need to have a "dynamic duo" to build around for the next 5 years or so. Crucial to sustained offensive superiority.

Aldon - He's 3rd out of this list because of his numerous off-field issues. He is clearly the best pass rusher that the NFL has seen in a long time but that won't mean a lot if he hasn't turned himself around. Expect the niners to wait as long as they can before committing top, premier pass-rusher money to Aldon.

Then it becomes a an interesting list of players to pick from...... Miller, Culliver, Hunter, Kilgore basically the entire 2011 class was so good we need to seriously look at which pieces are expendable.

Miller may deserve to be considered over Hunter because a veteran FB in our offense should outweigh a #2 back, especially with James and Lattimore under contract for longer.

Kilgore will probably get an "Ian Williams" deal this spring (assuming we let Goodwin go) because it would be absurd go into the season with him as our starting center have him have an above average to monster year and have him leave after 1 year (doubt that happens but you never know).

Cully was all but guaranteed the #2 CB job over rogers before he tore his acl...he'll have to show he's back to form but I think he gets an extension AFTER next year.

I'm sad to say it because I literally jumped for joy when Hunter fell to us but I have to wonder how he fits in the long term plan since we have selected TWO rbs since we've picked him. He's outperformed his rookie year this year but was it because of his return from injury that we especially took away 25% of his carries this year? Right now Gore's potentially "final" contract ends the same year as Hunter(2014) so will we wait until the end of next year to give him money or what?

I agree Aldon's value is a headscratcher. I don't think our brass looks at OLB/DE as a must pay position. Brooks got a nice bump and while Aldon is a special player I assume Trent see's that money being spent elsewhere
Lol @ thinking Kap won't want 100 million.

Crabtree and Aldon are must-sign players.

I want Boldin back but I'm just not sure what he's going to want, if we can afford it, or if we simply would like to move on.

Iupati, Dorsey, Hunter and Rogers are expendable.

Miller will be back, as will Cully.

I personally like Brown, so does the staff. Will be interesting to see what he demands.

We need Whitner back as well.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
Lol @ thinking Kap won't want 100 million.

Crabtree and Aldon are must-sign players.

I want Boldin back but I'm just not sure what he's going to want, if we can afford it, or if we simply would like to move on.

Iupati, Dorsey, Hunter and Rogers are expendable.

Miller will be back, as will Cully.

I personally like Brown, so does the staff. Will be interesting to see what he demands.

We need Whitner back as well.

We are a better team with Aldon, but we got by this season w/o him. Certainly want him here long-term, but not sure he's as paramount to this team as Crabtree
Originally posted by Brando85:
We are a better team with Aldon, but we got by this season w/o him. Certainly want him here long-term, but not sure he's as paramount to this team as Crabtree

It really is tough... but I would just hate to lose someone with his talent and accomplishments. His recent troubles with the law should drive down his asking price, though. I wouldn't be surprised if we let him walk, but I want a suitable replacement. Lemonier is NOT a suitable replacement.

If we're talking just players.

#1. Extend Kaepernick
#2. Try to extend Crabtree, but I think this will be difficult considering his agent and advisors previous stance.
#3. Secondary focus. Either bring Whitner back or find his replacement somehow. CB also needs a youth injection. Rogers and Wright are just too old.
#4. Extend Aldon
#5. Try to work something out with Iupati, but if he wants top guard money then just let him walk.
#6. If Goodwin's replacement is already on the roster... find one.
#7. Make another attempt in the draft, preferably 2nd-3rd round to find a stretch the field WR. VD as our biggest deep threat is kind of embarrassing, even if he is a freak of nature.
  • HERN
  • Veteran

I agree Aldon's value is a headscratcher. I don't think our brass looks at OLB/DE as a must pay position. Brooks got a nice bump and while Aldon is a special player I assume Trent see's that money being spent elsewhere

I love Aldon Smith, but the last couple games I've noticed that he gives up on plays way to easily. It's not a major concern, but certainly something to keep an eye on.
I'm going to try to do this in the order that I think things will fall.

1. Harbaugh- He still has two more years, but I think he'll be extended this offseason.

2. Boldin- where would we be without him? Should be easy to do a 2-3 year deal.

3. Frank Gore- Restructure and extend for 2 years. That will take us to 2016 where he should be ready to hang it up.

4. Kaepernick- May as well get it done now. This price tag is only going to climb higher and higher. I do believe he won't break the bank considering how he faired without Michael Crabtree mainly, and Mario Manningham (a healthy Mario) and Vernon Davis for some stretches this season.

5. Phil Dawson- Easy extension.

6. Role players- Bruce Miller, Perrish Cox, Eric Wright, Michael Wilhoite, Kassim Osgood, Bubba Ventrone, Daniel Kilgore (Ian Williams type deal)

7. Michael Crabtree- Hopefully he realizes that he and Kaep can have a special connection and will not seek to break the bank. He does deserve more, but will have to take less than what he could get in order to keep this team together. A Dwayne Bowe type of deal would be ideal. I have to admit, it must really suck watching guys who have done less get paid more.

8. Aldon Smith- I think he will be fine off the field. And he will be extended. Its clear no one can stop the man unless they blatantly hold. Vic Fangio will have to spend this offseason figuring out how to get things going.

9. Chris Culliver or Mike Iupati- One of these players will be the odd man out.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:

It really is tough... but I would just hate to lose someone with his talent and accomplishments. His recent troubles with the law should drive down his asking price, though. I wouldn't be surprised if we let him walk, but I want a suitable replacement. Lemonier is NOT a suitable replacement.

There isn't a replacement in the league. Unless you put Lawrence Taylor in a Hot Tub Time Machine.
Originally posted by HERN:

I love Aldon Smith, but the last couple games I've noticed that he gives up on plays way to easily. It's not a major concern, but certainly something to keep an eye on.

If you were bearhugged at the line of scrimmage and you know the referees aren't calling a thing, you don't think you'd be a little discouraged?
Share 49ersWebzone