LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

Passing Game Offense in Sub-Zero Weather

Shop Find 49ers gear online
John Madden, the Hall of Fame coach said that "the ice and the snow favors the passing game because it's tougher on the defensive backs and the pass rush." Madden also said Green Bay players have more experience in such blustery conditions, which means they have learned how to cope.

Plus with the 9ers CB's injured, A. Rodgers could have a field day. Maybe if it's really windy it will shut down the pass. I would think we will have to blitz frequently to stop Rodgers and hopefully run the ball to control the clock. Boldin is good in the ice, and with 3 healthy WR's hopefully Kap can also have a field day.
[ Edited by maxsmart on Jan 4, 2014 at 1:10 PM ]
Madden is a senile old man
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:

Nice. Do you disagree? Do you think the ice cold hurts the pass game?
Ice and snow favors the passing game I agree, but it will not be icy or snowy.

It is pretty much just frigid cold, which IMO favors the defense.
Originally posted by rondoman:

The field will be frozen hard ('frozen tundra') = icy = poor footing = usually favors offense if poor footing.
Kaep's hopefully gonna slice up that packer defense. I expect a big game through the air.
"The team with the most points at the end usually wins the game."

- John Madden
He's completely right, but that of course goes both ways, Green Bays questionable secondary will struggle to stop Crabtree, Boldin and VD.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 4, 2014 at 1:36 PM ]
Originally posted by maxsmart:

The field will be frozen hard ('frozen tundra') = icy = poor footing = usually favors offense if poor footing.

No it wont. GB has a heating system under the grass to keep the field from freezing.

No it wont. GB has a heating system under the grass to keep the field from freezing.

Interesting, so the 'frozen tundra' is a misnomer. So that's good, if the field is not frozen, I'm hoping that the 49ers defense should be able to dominate.
Originally posted by maxsmart:

Nice. Do you disagree? Do you think the ice cold hurts the pass game?

It hurts the whole game. For everybody. Unless the Packers are all Inuit Eskimos. Theyre not. Unless the 49ers forget to pack their cold weather gear and heating equipment. They wont. This cold weather is overrrated in how it affects the Packers less and the 49ers more.

Madden has forgotten more football than you'll ever know, and he STILL knows more than you today!
you guys didnt hear?

cold weather is gonna be playing line backer in place of clay matthews and may also go on offense and line up in the slot from time to time. *rolls eyes*

im sick of all this cold weather talk... lets play some g*ddamn football.
[ Edited by VancouverNiner on Jan 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I always thought that bad conditions hurt the offense more. It is hard to have a passing attack based on timing when your WR can slip at any time. Sure, it also hurts the defense as well, but they will probably play zone to minimize it. That is why running the ball can be so effective in bad weather. It is less affected by the conditions.
Share 49ersWebzone