There are 149 users in the forums

Coaching Staff Changes Watch

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Coaching Staff Changes Watch

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by BigYellowKahuna:
Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami Eric Mangini, team offensive consultant this season, likely will move to a position-coach role w/49ers in 2014. Not clear which position.

On Donatell... RT @CamInman His contract was to expire at season's end. He told me planned on staying. No DCs jobs open right now

Donatell better stay. All our corners and safeties have performed well under his tutelage.

Yeah not sure which defensive spot he could take since all our defensive coaches are top notch and should stay. Fangio, Tomsula, Donatell/Jackson, Jim Leavitt.

If anything we should be looking to possibly replace our offensive coaches. Possibly OC, maybe OL and we need an OL assistant. TE coach seems to be doing ok, WR could be upgraded IMO but Morton might have bought another year with Boldin saving his butt although he hasn't done much with the rest of our WRs these past 3 years (not including Crabtree who was good when he got here). I don't know has Mangini ever coached OL or WR? I know he has done other offensive assistant work but not sure he ever coached any offensive positions.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 22, 2014 at 7:52 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Former NFL head coach Eric Mangini, who served as 49ers senior offensive consultant this season, was considered for a move to quarterbacks coach, sources told CSNBayArea.com on Wednesday.

One source said moving Mangini to quarterbacks coach and promoting quarterbacks coach Geep Chryst to offensive coordinator was an option for coach Jim Harbaugh's reshuffling of the coaching staff if the 49ers lost offensive coordinator Greg Roman. The source said he does not believe Harbaugh plans to make any changes.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/sources-mangini-considered-qbs-coach
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Former NFL head coach Eric Mangini, who served as 49ers senior offensive consultant this season, was considered for a move to quarterbacks coach, sources told CSNBayArea.com on Wednesday.

One source said moving Mangini to quarterbacks coach and promoting quarterbacks coach Geep Chryst to offensive coordinator was an option for coach Jim Harbaugh's reshuffling of the coaching staff if the 49ers lost offensive coordinator Greg Roman. The source said he does not believe Harbaugh plans to make any changes.

dear lord. I'm not sure what to think of this......
Kubiak, Linehan, or Hue Jackson are all good offensive coordinators. Linehan guided Detroit to a top-six finish on offense the past three seasons, Kubiak has been good and Hue Jackson was good in Oakland.
[ Edited by maxsmart on Jan 23, 2014 at 2:44 AM ]
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Kubiak, Linehan, or Hue Jackson are all good offensive coordinators. Linehan guided Detroit to a top-six finish on offense the past three seasons, Kubiak has been good and Hue Jackson was good in Oakland.

Megatron will do that to you
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by sfout:

dear lord. I'm not sure what to think of this......

Sounds like inside the bubble group-think.

I'm just going to say this .....

Harbaugh has the potential to be a great coach and it would seem he has the potential to be closed minded that he can't truly evaluate the problem.

for the life of me I can't understand this at all. BUT I have seen times where guys coach positions that seem to make no sense based on their experience. Personally, I'd like to see Jeff Garcia hired to work with the QBs.
Keep all the coaches around for one more year. Treat Kap like a kid with divorced parents, he spends half the off season with Joe, the other half with Steve. And make all the WR's live with Jerry and run the god damn hill. We have HOF players willing to help, some of these current players need to accept the offer. You get Crabs one full offseason with Rice, he will make Sherman his prison b***h come next season.
so we lost 1 Oline coach and who else?

I know we lost that loser Wuff too

Mangini going to the qb coach sounds assbackward initially, but Mangini has the capacity to tell Kaep on the sideline what the defenses are trying to do to him may be a plus since Kaep needs to develop that sense on recognizing the defense from play to play and game to game.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Mangini going to the qb coach sounds assbackward initially, but Mangini has the capacity to tell Kaep on the sideline what the defenses are trying to do to him may be a plus since Kaep needs to develop that sense on recognizing the defense from play to play and game to game.
Good answer, good answer.

I'm going to keep my eye on you.

• Jcool
  • Veteran

Harbaugh has the potential to be a great coach and it would seem he has the potential to be closed minded that he can't truly evaluate the problem.

Harbaugh is a great coach and what exactly is the problem? Three straight NFC title games, a Superbowl appearance and has yet to win less then 11 games.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran

Interesting logic but why couldn't he have just done that this year?
Originally posted by SaksV:

Interesting logic but why couldn't he have just done that this year?

Maybe Mangini a little more verse on our offense after 1 year with Roman. He's probably more capable of taking the qb coach position within the team. So you have 1 guy talking to Kaep on the sideline for the most part throughout the season. Instead like you may be suggesting, with Chryst and Mangini both on the sideline. I think that's just too much.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Harbaugh is a great coach and what exactly is the problem? Three straight NFC title games, a Superbowl appearance and has yet to win less then 11 games.

dude talent automatically won about 2/3s of our games, we were already a perennial 6-8 win team with Nolan and Singletary because of how stacked the D was. Harbaugh's coaching style and innovation approach did put us over the top but now all that motion, jumbo, and things that freaked teams out in 2011 and even part of 2012 is just another play to any of the top D's in the league, even some of the worse ones.

If we don't come into 2014 with a new gimmick, yes I used gimmick, whether it is going back to a 75%++ pro style offense, or going full retard with the spread like the Saints it'll just be another year of our talent crushing the will out of the team despite the fact that they know what play were trying to run. Then every once in awhile we'll get crushed because we've gotten too cute against D that knows all of our tricks.

I wrote a quality post about how Groupthink is likely the issue within Harbaugh's offense some months ago, probably lost to the abyss by now but heres how it is.....

Harbaugh doesn't need to prove he's a great coach, he's done things no other coach has done, he's simply incredible but what he does need to prove is that he can make the tough decisions when they need to be made. Have the humility to consider an offensive revamp, whether it is schematic or coaches, remember to scheme for teams weaknesses not just our strengths -- we too often just impose our will and it is what leads to our ground out, oh so close for comfort wins, when if we had just played to exploit a team we'd probably annihilate them.
Mangini would be a terrible choice for QB coach. Looks like Harbaugh wants to focus on the pre-reads and not the progressions and peripheral vision of the position.
Share 49ersWebzone