LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Coaching Staff Changes Watch

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Coaching Staff Changes Watch

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN

Vic Fangio said he's had no contact with teams for head-coaching opportunities.
Originally posted by Jcool:

You're good right where you are Vic
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein

Buzz around the league is that Eric Mangini's final destination may very well end up being with Bill O'Brien in Houston
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

You're good right where you are Vic

I doubt Fangio goes anywhere and as time goes on, I'm doubting Roman will either.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein

Buzz around the league is that Eric Mangini's final destination may very well end up being with Bill O'Brien in Houston

NC -- The Vikings are taking their time. Maybe he'll get a look there? Also Vanderbilt is now looking for a new coach.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 9, 2014 at 9:56 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by JackPardeePants:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
If that is true, that is horrifying.

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Pretty sure you are not only wrong on this, but also that it is exactly what the Niners do. One of the Matts, and I believe it was Maiocco, reported that when a play needs to be called Roman calls a run play, Morton calls a pass play, Roman then decides which to use and then calls both down to Harbaugh who either agree's or not, and who also has the power to veto, but rarely does.

This is why we waste so much of the play clock pre snap and have sooo many delay's and TO's as a result of an expiring play clock.

If that is true, that is horrifying.

That's the way Harbaugh ran things at Stanford. Roman would call the run plays, David Shaw the passing plays and then I believe Harbaugh or Pep Hamilton decided on the final play call

And I believe game-planning has 3 or 4 more others involved as well (RZ, Mangini, offensive assistant, etc.). It's a compartmentalized offensive system and we see the negative results (lack of flow/rhythm, CK with just seconds to snap the ball and no time for checks/audibles, unnecessary TO's, slow starts, adjustment issues, running into a brick wall..with all due respect to Roman here, etc.).

I like the idea of having multiple offensive coaches involved in constructing a possible game plan but one guy should hold the whole the whole thing and call the plays come game time. Yes, there can be in-game discussions, suggestions but only one person on the trigger. For me, I'd let Harbaugh call the plays.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Okay so the chronically bad issues that this team continually has with playclock management & timeout is starting to all make sense now. If this offensivee delegation type system of calling plays is true no wonder it takes so f***ing long to run a stupid play. This topic has been rehashed 100 times over on these forums but I read a comment leading me to believe that this epically bad problem with managing the play calls and timeouts may just completely scare teams off from wanting anything to do with Greg Roman whatsoever. I mean the fact that a lot of these teams just don't have time to wait around for a coaching candidate who is still involved in the playoffs has to be a determining factor at some point, but the perceived epidemic that the Niners seem to have with the clock management issues must also have some bearing on it.

If Greg is not really the architect of the whole offense they he really isn't a bonafide OC. Why would you want him as a HC if he hasn't mastered a coordinator position. I bet he doesn't get an offer and if he does it will be a mistake. More likely to go to college team.
Originally posted by dj43:
If the 49er assistant were judged to be top tier material, teams would wait until the 49er playoff run is done.

It seems like the Vikings and the Titans are waiting it out til after the playoffs.
Originally posted by barrymartin:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Okay so the chronically bad issues that this team continually has with playclock management & timeout is starting to all make sense now. If this offensivee delegation type system of calling plays is true no wonder it takes so f***ing long to run a stupid play. This topic has been rehashed 100 times over on these forums but I read a comment leading me to believe that this epically bad problem with managing the play calls and timeouts may just completely scare teams off from wanting anything to do with Greg Roman whatsoever. I mean the fact that a lot of these teams just don't have time to wait around for a coaching candidate who is still involved in the playoffs has to be a determining factor at some point, but the perceived epidemic that the Niners seem to have with the clock management issues must also have some bearing on it.

If Greg is not really the architect of the whole offense they he really isn't a bonafide OC. Why would you want him as a HC if he hasn't mastered a coordinator position. I bet he doesn't get an offer and if he does it will be a mistake. More likely to go to college team.

The 49ers structure doesn't mean he hasn't mastered the OC position or has no idea what is going on in the passing game. As to the structure not making him qualified... that might not even matter. Throughout NFL History there have been a few coaches who have never been a coordinator that have been hired to be head coach. I think most of it happened before the 90s, and they rarely met with legendary success. Obviously we did it with Singletary, the Vikings did it with Mike Tice who went from Oline coach to interim coach to head coach. I'm sure there are others but these are the two I know of without looking into it.
Just wondering, there is a Rooney rule which has worked pretty well. Should there be a Rooninski rule due to the fact that of the firings, 3 were of European ancestry:
Chudinski ...Polish, maybe Russian, Latvian
Kubiak....Polish, maybe Czech
Munchak...Czech, maybe other.

These guys are all probably multi generational removed from Europe. But when was the last time that half the firings were guys with European names?
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jan 10, 2014 at 11:54 AM ]

Roman looks Polish. He should be fired.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Just wondering, there is a Rooney rule which has worked pretty well. Should there be a Rooninski rule due to the fact that of the firings, 3 were of European ancestry:
Chudinski ...Polish, maybe Russian, Latvian
Kubiak....Polish, maybe Czech
Munchak...Czech, maybe other.

These guys are all probably multi generational removed from Europe. But when was the last time that half the firings were guys with European names?

It's always the white man keeping my Slavic brothers down.
So:
Uof Texas: Strong gone
Penn State: Vandy coach got it gone
SKINS Jay Gruden gone
Texans ?bill Obrien? gone
Tampa Lovie great hire gone

Leaving:
Titans talent C, maybe C+
Lions good talent Defense, good talent O
Vikes AP, no Qb, D?
Browns really good talent

The two really good slots looks like Detroit and Browns. Vikes probably next then, Titans.

Other than Vanderbilt slot can't think of much collegiate left.
Originally posted by barrymartin:
I like the idea of having multiple offensive coaches involved in constructing a possible game plan but one guy should hold the whole the whole thing and call the plays come game time. Yes, there can be in-game discussions, suggestions but only one person on the trigger. For me, I'd let Harbaugh call the plays.

It's like one person controlling a robots legs, while the other controls its arms. It sounds nice at first, but then you quickly realize that this robot is never going to move smooth and fluid. It will always move clunky and mechanical, just like our offense.
Kinda off topic but is it true that Roman wasn't with the team on Sunday; he was busying interviewing with teams?
Share 49ersWebzone