LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Coaching Staff Changes Watch

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Coaching Staff Changes Watch

Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora

One reason Tom Gamble would be so attractive to Miami? Stephen Ross still has eyes for Jim Harbaugh:
http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24402422/dolphins-interest-in-gamble-as-gm-really-another-play-for-jim-harbaugh
LaCanfora is such a joke. lol

Agreed. JLC is a clown. It seems everyone in the media is ignoring that York, Harbaugh, and Baalke have said the rumors are untrue. York has said that Harbaugh hasn't asked for more power and all three have said that they argue at times over players but they come to an agreement and move on.
[ Edited by threelittlebirds on Jan 8, 2014 at 1:31 PM ]
Football Scoop

Penn State: San Francisco offensive
coordinator Greg Roman will interview at
Penn State, according to Jason La Canfora.
[ Edited by robniner on Jan 8, 2014 at 1:44 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Cam Inman ‏@CamInman

#49ers assistant Paul Wulff confirmed to me he'll leave season's end to become UofSouthFlorida OC under Jim Harbaugh protégé Willie Taggart
Originally posted by VDSF:
This.

Who are some possible candidates to replace him?

I'd tell you who I'd want -- Norv Turner. If it were up to him, he'd probably leave the trainwreck in Cleveland. But can Turner and Harbaugh coexist? I don't think they'd be that far apart on things.

But the HC at Cleveland was fired and Turner is still there. He's under contract and I don't think they can just pry him away from there. But I might be completely wrong and would welcome correction.
Originally posted by cciowa:
i am the king of the roman haters club but he is not tanking,, he is just f**king stupid and his history of red zone retardness (made that up) goes back to the super bowl

The word you're looking for is retardation.

Learn dat vocab better yo
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Looks like some particularly vociference Roman detractors are going to get their wish. Not me; I quite like Roman. Very intelligent and a student of the game. It'll be difficult to find areplacement as good.
It's been reported before: The Niners game plans are schemed by committee. Roman handles the ground game and does rather well with that. Chryst and Morton work with the passing gameand that has been at the root of many complaints. The scheme is also constrained by the ability of the players to execute; a fact that is also not appreciated enough.
Anyway there's speculation that Chyrst may replace Roman, if the latter were to leave. To me that's a downgrade at the position. If Roman does leave, I hope that the team brings in sme outside blood. A fresh look at things if done right often enhances the product. Mangini was supposed to have contributed in this regard this season. Obviously not enough for some fans. Whose to say they're not right.
BTW isn't there also talk that Mangini may be in consideration for the Dolphins GM job?

It's not about the gameplan, it's about the play-calling, which doing by committee is not possible. Roman picks the plays and Harbaugh hears it in his headset, which is when he can chime in and veto if he chooses. Part of the gameplan involves scripting the first 20 plays, which they have acknowledged, and if you've noticed in several games, the offense is extremely productive the first 1-2 drives and sputters after. Why do you think that is so? The first couple drives are the result of gameplanning and the sputtering is the result of the play-calling kicking in. HERP DERP
Originally posted by biggiep:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Looks like some particularly vociference Roman detractors are going to get their wish. Not me; I quite like Roman. Very intelligent and a student of the game. It'll be difficult to find areplacement as good.
It's been reported before: The Niners game plans are schemed by committee. Roman handles the ground game and does rather well with that. Chryst and Morton work with the passing gameand that has been at the root of many complaints. The scheme is also constrained by the ability of the players to execute; a fact that is also not appreciated enough.
Anyway there's speculation that Chyrst may replace Roman, if the latter were to leave. To me that's a downgrade at the position. If Roman does leave, I hope that the team brings in sme outside blood. A fresh look at things if done right often enhances the product. Mangini was supposed to have contributed in this regard this season. Obviously not enough for some fans. Whose to say they're not right.
BTW isn't there also talk that Mangini may be in consideration for the Dolphins GM job?

It's not about the gameplan, it's about the play-calling, which doing by committee is not possible. Roman picks the plays and Harbaugh hears it in his headset, which is when he can chime in and veto if he chooses. Part of the gameplan involves scripting the first 20 plays, which they have acknowledged, and if you've noticed in several games, the offense is extremely productive the first 1-2 drives and sputters after. Why do you think that is so? The first couple drives are the result of gameplanning and the sputtering is the result of the play-calling kicking in. HERP DERP

Pretty sure you are not only wrong on this, but also that it is exactly what the Niners do. One of the Matts, and I believe it was Maiocco, reported that when a play needs to be called Roman calls a run play, Morton calls a pass play, Roman then decides which to use and then calls both down to Harbaugh who either agree's or not, and who also has the power to veto, but rarely does.

This is why we waste so much of the play clock pre snap and have sooo many delay's and TO's as a result of an expiring play clock.
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Missing the playoffs and a loss in the divisional round opens those teams up to getting the cupboard raided by the teams needing coaches. This is one of the reason the niners always had their coaches raided during the dark days and why we have been barely touched since Harbaugh started taking us to the NFC Championship games.

Nah, you're completely wrong and that suggestion makes no sense. Losing our OC's in back-to-back years was more the result of bad luck than anything. When McCarthy was hired away, the team had just gone 4-12. It is seriously not a typical thing for teams to fill their coaching vacancies with people from 4-12 teams. You don't see teams lining up to hire away assistants from the Raiders, Jaguars, or Browns this year. It turned out to be the right hire for them, but was still extremely unusual given the circumstances at the time.

The next year the Chargers were idiots and fired Schottenheimer very late in the off-season after going 14-2 and one and done in the playoffs. AJ Smith hated him but couldn't justify immediately firing the guy after going 14-2, but after a s**t-ton of his assistants were poached by other teams, including the Niners who hired away LB coach Greg Manusky, Smith decided to fire him. The most attractive head-coaching candidates were already hired by other teams and Smith settled for Norv Turner, who considering his prior head-coaching experiences at Oakland and Washington was not a very sexy hire or really anyone's first choice. Then of course, the Niners were screwed in trying to find an outside replacement for him since teams are only obligated by the league to allow assistants to be hired away for head-coaching jobs, not other assistant positions. Multiple teams denied permission to interview their up-and-coming assistants since it was so late in the offseason and the Niners were stuck with promoting the worst OC of all time Jim Hostler.

So yea, the suggestion that teams hire their head coaches from bad teams that don't make the playoffs makes absolutely no sense. Just look around the league and all the new hires every year and you will see that is almost never the case. If you said teams that go one-and-done in the playoffs tend to lose their assistants, that's another story.
[ Edited by biggiep on Jan 8, 2014 at 4:44 PM ]
Originally posted by WINiner:
Pretty sure you are not only wrong on this, but also that it is exactly what the Niners do. One of the Matts, and I believe it was Maiocco, reported that when a play needs to be called Roman calls a run play, Morton calls a pass play, Roman then decides which to use and then calls both down to Harbaugh who either agree's or not, and who also has the power to veto, but rarely does.

This is why we waste so much of the play clock pre snap and have sooo many delay's and TO's as a result of an expiring play clock.

Maiocco really revealed that? Well, then I was only partially wrong. It really isn't possible/practical and that's why they're so incredibly bad with clock management LOL!
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Niners Nation ‏@NinersNation

Per @caplannfl, Vikings to request interview with Jim Tomsula...ruh roh! http://sbn.to/1a28OLG

Originally posted by Jcool:
Niners Nation ‏@NinersNation

Per @caplannfl, Vikings to request interview with Jim Tomsula...ruh roh! http://sbn.to/1a28OLG

Tomsula is awesome, can't blame the vikes. Poor Roman, his dream job was offered to somebody else again. He should have never said penn is his dream job, it's like when a plain guy follows a hot chick around, that chick isn't going to respect him. At some point, Roman has to say no thanks for the arbitrary penn st interviews...
Everybody wants a piece of the 49ers successful pie! Ohhhh yeah! Woooooo!!
What did Wulff do on staff? No one every talked about him.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
What did Wulff do on staff? No one every talked about him.

Team's senior offensive assistant--whatever that means.
Originally posted by WINiner:

If that is true, that is horrifying.
Share 49ersWebzone