There are 241 users in the forums

Officiating in Falcons Game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
We had big calls go our way too. Stop crying

Big calls would imply a there was more than one. Name the second big call we benefited from please.
What exactly is a defenseless receiver? I'm asking the same question defensive players ask, what are they supposed to do, let him catch the ball?
it's only going to get worse. The NFL i hate to say it is changing for the worst. before you know it they will be able to challenge PI's. Only more injuries like Gronks will occur.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
This had to be one of the most blatantly bad calls I've seen in a while. Why wouldn't the league crack down on officials making such bad calls?

1. Whitner hit on Jackson was clearly legal - changed the game right there by putting Falcons at the goal line.
2. They called a hands to the face on Brock (?) when there clearly were no hands to the face
3. They let the Falcon's kicker kick a practice field goal after the whistle during a timeout - blatant infraction. Even the snap of the ball was well after the whistle. How could they not flag this?

And there were other bad calls.

Come on Brock hit him in the face.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

I really dont understand why people stew on this s**t especially after a win. Its kind of petty.

Because it easily could have been a loss. That 15 yd roughing call made the on side attempt from the 50, and when it was recovered by Atl they were already in FG range. If the 49ers had lost I would be you would have a little more ire. But the officiating in all games is terrible, not just this game. It affects outcomes of games and that is a fact. Perhaps the breaks all even out, but not in the course of one game.

No i wouldnt. If we had lost that game it would have been because we came out flat to start, then let off the gas in the second half after we got comfortable with the lead. The game was not decided by the refs.

Just like i dont/didnt blame the NO game on the refs.

There are a lot of plays through the course of a game and a lot of opportunities. It is a collective, and to boil an entire game down to one or two plays has never and will never make sense to me. Especially when you are boiling it down to flags.

Come on. You've got to admit that the sequence at the end of the game was about the strangest officiating we've seen this season. Gruden was stunned. Before the two flags, he was saying it was obviously going to be offensive PI on Tony Gonzolez. Gonzolez actually grabs Whitner's back collar and throws him down to the turf to get open. And Brooks didn't even touch Ryan. He went over the top as Ryan went down. After the calls, Gruden said, "I'm speechless." This gave them a TD and a kickoff at the 50. That could have easily turned the game for the Falcons and without that stunning pick six, it probably would have given them the game. Ted Robinson was saying on KNBR that the Niners should send the sequence to the NFL and ask them to explain the ref's thinking on those two calls.

And Kaepernick took two blatant helmet to helmet contact hits during the second half and neither drew a flag. I thought the officiating was extremely strange.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
This had to be one of the most blatantly bad calls I've seen in a while. Why wouldn't the league crack down on officials making such bad calls?

1. Whitner hit on Jackson was clearly legal - changed the game right there by putting Falcons at the goal line.
2. They called a hands to the face on Brock (?) when there clearly were no hands to the face
3. They let the Falcon's kicker kick a practice field goal after the whistle during a timeout - blatant infraction. Even the snap of the ball was well after the whistle. How could they not flag this?

he did, but ive seen DBs get away with worse. Frankly, the worst call was the DPI on the 3rd and 18 on atlanta. Everything is just so inconsistent.
Hearstfan, all your points are right on. The officials are in a tough spot, plays happen so fast and many calls are in the gray area. Like many 49er fans I can't stand Seattle, but they have the right approach, mug the opposition on every play. The refs won't call a penalty every down. If only 20% of the fouls are called that translates into a win.

One of those instances saw Anquan Boldin be on the wrong end of a cheap shot by Falcons rookie cornerback Desmond Trufant. The hit was absolutely out of nowhere and given how the Falcons have let the game slip away from them, it was likely a hit out of frustration.
The hit went unseen by the officials and therefore was not penalized. Not only should the hit have been penalized by officials, it goes down as yet another play in the game that the referees blew. Too many times in the Candlestick finale have the officials either not thrown a flag or thrown one when they shouldn't have.

Hopefully when they implode Candlestick, they can fit this terrible style of officiating int here too and blow it up with the past.
http://fansided.com/2013/12/23/desmond-trufant-cheap-shot-anquan-boldin-gif/
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Dec 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM ]
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

One of those instances saw Anquan Boldin be on the wrong end of a cheap shot by Falcons rookie cornerback Desmond Trufant. The hit was absolutely out of nowhere and given how the Falcons have let the game slip away from them, it was likely a hit out of frustration.
The hit went unseen by the officials and therefore was not penalized. Not only should the hit have been penalized by officials, it goes down as yet another play in the game that the referees blew. Too many times in the Candlestick finale have the officials either not thrown a flag or thrown one when they shouldn't have.

Hopefully when they implode Candlestick, they can fit this terrible style of officiating int here too and blow it up with the past.
http://fansided.com/2013/12/23/desmond-trufant-cheap-shot-anquan-boldin-gif/

Cheap b*****d.

On the very next play, it was WR screen and Anquan shook Trufant to the ground -- awesome football karma.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:

he did, but ive seen DBs get away with worse. Frankly, the worst call was the DPI on the 3rd and 18 on atlanta. Everything is just so inconsistent.

true

I agree - some bad calls of course went 49ers way. I guess my frustration is just with the horrible calls both ways. I get it when the action looks like a penalty and a flag is thrown - but the refs are throwing flags on things that even in real time don't look like a penalty, and then compounding it by NOT throwing flags on blatant penalties.
Just watched the game. The last Falcons TD where they called a holding and roughing passer on us. Both calls were horse s**t. Gonzalez should have gotten the penalty on that play.

I think we can all agree that the officiating league wide has been terrible. The NFL has to do something this off season to correct the issue.
Another horrendous potentially game changing call on the personal foul on the Skuta sack of Newton. That single call almost put them back in the game.
Share 49ersWebzone